Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and Cancer

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Bunny Wailer, Aug 13, 2012.

1. #1 Bunny Wailer, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    I know that there is no record of anyone dying directly (definite zero in terms of overdosing, but beyond that there is still a possibility) from weed and that THC can actually help kill cancer cells.

But is it really hard to believe that it couldn't cause cancer?

The reason I'm thinking of this is that in all of the studies they say either it's the same rate or in one study (possibly more) the rate is less in mj-only smokers. There are plenty of people who have gotten cancer who didn't smoke either tobacco or mj, and if the rate is the same or even less then there is still the possibility of cancer and the fact that there are also carcinogens in the smoke has led me to this question.

EDIT: In short, how balanced are the effects of THC on cancerous cells and carcinogens within the smoke.

It should be noted that most of the studies showing THC helping fight cancer didn't use smoked marijuana

2. Granny might have some insight on this...I hope you don't get frustrated by my response, because I do not have an answer for you.
    What I will say is that more people seem to be drifting towards the edible versions of dosing, and that seems to have the cancer-fighting properties that you were talking about. I'm not sure if smoking weed really gives you much of the anti-cancer effects, to be honest.
    From what I've read it seems to be a potent cancer-killer if eaten, whether psychoactively-activated or not.

I know that didn't answer your question, but it's something to think about. I'll always be down for a smoke session but I have a feeling I'll always be more of an edible guy. Just feels more healthy even if the thc does cancel out carcinogens when smoking.

3. Thank you for the response. I was expecting to get flamed for asking this because of all the people on here who can't admit to the negatives of mj

4. I've been smoking MJ for quite some time. And I will admit that I do believe cancer could be developed in time. Although its uncommon or maybe never has happened. But marijuana smoke contains 3 times as much tar as cigarette smoke..so your still adding tar to your lungs.. the tar can also be reduced by water bongs and vaporizers and the use of a piece instead of a joint or blunt or cone

5. Hahah, well hopefully if we get a real conversation going before the flamers come in they'll be overwhelmed. I'm curious about your question, I'm not sure if there's much research on it yet though. There's a large chance that I'm wrong, but I think a lot of the other cannabinoids are more active cancer killers than thc is. The question remains the same despite the minor details though, I'm not hating. Just pointing that out.
    I hope you get some more useful responses, I'll stay subbed in the meantime. See if you can dig up some non-biased, empirical data on the carcinogens. Then I bet granny's list (let me know if you don't have her list) probably has some information on the anti-cancer side.
    Point is, even if there isn't one single article that addresses your question, you may be able to answer it yourself if you look hard enough. I'd love to know the answer but I'm very lazy and Harry Potter is on tv.

6. #6 Bunny Wailer, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
    same here man...what if there are two vanishing cabinets?

I wonder what other cannabinoids could have some anti cancer properties myself...THC and CBD are the ones that have been incorporated in most of the studies, but I suspect that's because they are the most potent of the cannabinoids (the most potent part is a guess, but why else are they the only ones we hear about consistently?)

7. I would love to see grannys list if you could link me? Thanks!

8. #8 Bunny Wailer, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    Granny Storm Crow's answer to another thread with basically the same question

The bolded parts is where my question comes in and it doesn't seem like smoked marijuana was used in the studies, except the one where they note that there may be error due to most of the marijuana smokers use of tobacco as well

EDIT: Except the stuff at the bottom

9. i thought the 3x tar thing was a myth

10. I only vape, so I'm good here.

11. #11 KushNMusic, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
    dude marijuana helps cancer, not causes it LOOL :poke:

and i havent heard of one person who has gotten cancer from smoking mj, you can theorize all you want but it all comes down to the facts

12. knew I'd have at least one of these posts.

The facts show that THC helps fight cancer. But smoked mj wasn't used in those studies which is why I'm posing this question. I also stated that I knew that in my first post.

13. Nope, it is true. Someone linked the study in another thread. I'll post it up here for you when I get the chance

14. Most of the things that are harmful about marijuana come from the bleached papers and nasty ass wraps people put it in.

15. These may be of interest!

Seems like these 2 Canadian girls had brain cancer operations that left a bit of the tumor behind- NOT GOOD! They were apparently sent home to die....and they didn't! The commonality was that they both started smoking pot and that is when their tumors began to regress! :smoke:

Cannabis Inhalation Associated With Spontaneous Tumor Regression (news - 2010)
    Cannabis Inhalation Associated With Spontaneous Tumor Regression, Study Says | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Spontaneous regression of septum pellucidum/forniceal pilocytic astrocytomas-possible role of Cannabis inhalation. (full – 2011)
    http://cannabisclinicians.org/wp-co...nhalation-and-Brain-Tumor-Regression-2011.pdf

Inhaled Cannabis May Keep Brain Cancer in Remission (news – 2011)
    Inhaled Marijuana May Keep Brain Cancer in Remission

Tumors Regressing — Thanks to Cannabis? (news – 2011)
    Tumors Regressing

Marijuana Compound Induces Cell Death In Hard-To-Treat Brain Cancer
    (news – 2011) Marijuana Compound Induces Cell Death In Hard-To-Treat Brain Cancer

And this dude also had something to say about toking and cancer-

Hypothesizing that marijuana smokers are at a significantly lower risk of carcinogenicity relative to tobacco-non-marijuana smokers: evidenced based on statistical reevaluation of current literature. (full - 2008)
    Hypothesizing that marijuana smokers are at a significantly lower risk of carcinogenicity relative to tobacco-non-marijuana smokers: evidenced based on statistical reevaluation of current literature. - Free Online Library

Granny :wave: