Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Focused on heart rate

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by phantomguru, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Hey first post..been wondering these forums for a while and decided to make an account.

I smoked for a about half a year multiple times a week and everything was peachy. Then I had taken about a month break. A friend of mine hits me up asking to smoke, so I took the offer. I had always had a lower tolerance and we had a blunt of some headband..probably one of the strongest strains I've had. I took quiet a few very big hits and I was pretty stoned.

Everything was fine until I decided to go inside the house. I sat down watching some T.V. I was easily higher than I had every been before. I thought to myself "I wonder if you can get a heart attack from being high" And boom thats all my mind thought of. My heart started beating extremely hard, feeling like it would beat out of my chest. I even started to shake mildly
    I thought I was going to die

To sum it up I ended up calming myself down with some breathing exercises..however it scared me and kept me from smoking for a couple of months. When I decided to try it again I had a much less sever panic attack as I would call it. However I knew from experience now that it was in my head. Now everytime I smoke I'm always focused on my heart rate even though I know it is all because of the incident. My heart rate high is always pretty high when I smoke and I focus on it more the higher I get. I still usually enjoy my highs but it is a big part of them

Sorry for the wall. Was just wondering if anyone had any insight on my issue. Thanks :)

2. I know exactly what you did wrong. Weed increases your heart rate naturaly, it's not dangerous. However, thinking about the heart attack triggered your flight or fight response(google it), and you ended up having an axiety attack. Trust me man, shits happened to me so much and it didn't kill me. It was all in your head, next time do not think about it and relax! Toke up! :smoke:

3. #3 ThePie, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
    You got too high. First time you have this feeling is the strongest. Now that you know to tell yourself that it's all in your head it shouldn't be a problem.

But in case you wander here is what happened to you: when you got too high you started realizing your body and your feelings of the body. You focused on your heart bit and wandered what would happen if your heart rate STARTED getting high. This thought scared you (remember you're too high) and made your heart bit faster. Naturally , you noticed that your heart rate has increased and got scared even more... you get the idea :)

Basically its the same effect if you start talking into two phones in the same time. The sound will trave from one phone into another very quickly until it reached the speed of sound and then you hear a loud interference noise. Hope this helps! :))

4. after smoking weed youre more likely to have a heart attack, its very unlikely unless you have an underlying problem

I only know one person who its happened to and they already had an underlying problem from smoking cigs

5. It's good that you did breathing exercises, that is the best thing to do. Just be relaxed and accept that that is one of the physical effects of weed and is just as normal as red eyes and dry mouth. Your heart beats fast when you exercise, so there is no reason you should panic. As long as you know your not going to have a heart attack and realise it is normal you should be fine. Just do deep breathing and if you want to take your mind off it just play a video game. Some other advise is if you are going to lie down, lie on your right side, not your left.

6. Marijuana can alter space and time perception, it can be subtle, I wouldn't count on your high self to be the most accurate when judging heart rate, try actually taking your heart rate using a clock or something, I've always found my heart rate to be no higher than when I'm feeling anxious. Marijuana raises heart rate by a very small amount.. It's definitely not a worry, anyone who would have a heart attack (lol.......) from smoking would have a heart attack from any sort of physical exertion at that point, I think if you're at that point and you're not aware and you're off smoking pot and doing this and that pots not really your biggest worry..

7. I was smoking some Jean-guy one of the best strains in quebec very known here (very potent sativa) and i was smoking at night before going to bed listening to some pink floyd, the "Dogs" song and I have cardiac arythmia and i thought i was going to die, the song made it more intense with all the effects of the dogs barking and etc. I also smoke everyday and i was a bit surprised on how high I was but whatever weird shit.. I was baked lol