First Tattoo Advice

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by portfool2332, Sep 15, 2013.

1. What's up GrassCity?

I'm sure there is a countless number of these threads but this is important to me and I thought I would make it personal. I've been interested in getting a tattoo for a while now but have been hesitant to take the dive. For a number of reasons. For one, I don't even have what I want sketched out yet. I'm a well though-out person and the last thing I am going to do is go in and get a tattoo blindly. On the other hand, I think jsut getting the first one is half the work, but I am definitely not one of those people who is just going to go and get a bird or flower tattooed on me like some dumb-asses do.

I want mine to be done by a dope and talented artist. So I figure the first step is to find a talented local artist, which shouldn't be hard in Portland. There seems to be more bars and tattoo shops than anywhere else I have been.

What I need advice on is when do you know you are ready? When do you know you are content with what you are going to get? Is it only a matter of going out and doing it? I think once I talk to the artist, get his or her thoughts, see the sketch, then I will be game but is there anything else that goes into it? I'm basically looking for other peoples experiences with their first tattoo (excluding the flower and bird folks who obviously don't care what the hell goes on their bodies for eternity). Not hating on you, it's just not how I roll.

I'm not really worried about the pain. It is what it is and comes with the territory but I think I would be dumb for not asking. How much will it hurt if I get it on my upper arm? Bicep/deltoid area. 1-10? What will it compare to?

I'm leaning toward getting a heritage type tattoo. Something to do with where I was raised. I've been through a lot of personal shit and had to grow up quick as a kid. If it works and looks good, I would love to tie in the personal struggle I have experienced somehow. Even if it's just a simple quote, which to be honest, I am not a huge fan of, but  if I could tie it in and still have to look good, I would be down.

I don't want to copy any of these but I think they are cool and would love to base my tattoo off them. Any personal thoughts in how to do this would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Any info on your first tattoo and any ideas based off what I have provided are much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. I basically want it to be a ink memory of where I am in my life right now. An ode to where I grew up- Portland. I grew up in the city but Portland is unique to have mountains and the beach close by so I obviously those incorporated, but not only for the pure fact it looks cool....I have always found it really peaceful to be able to drive 2 hours to this or that and escape the city. I'm a big Hip-Hop head. I've always loved graffiti and art in general. And again, if I could incorporate growing up and having to look out for myself that would be cool too. I just don't know how that would be done.

Just thought I would try and explain some of the images I provided.

3. I'm also interested in getting peoples opinions on colored tattoos vs black/white.

4. Color 100%.
    And you'll never been completely ready. The anticipation is the worst part.

5. Go with color. You have a lot of ideas, but i think you should make it clear with your artist that you dont need all of them in the tattoo. It could be do able with tje ideas, but if he/she seems overwhelmed with the amount of things in a tattoo it wont turn out as good.

When choosing an artist, remember to look at their portfolio to see if you even like their work. Also ask about hygiene in the shop. A code to live by is if they are even slightly hesitant to show you certifications and explain their hygiene policies, then they have something to hide.

You will be ready when the needle hits your arm. Until that very last second you will be paranoid as hell. But thats normal.

With tattoos bigger is better too, even if it doesnt seem like you want something as big as it may end up being suggested as, smaller tattoos typically will turn out worse.

And as far as pain, picture the worst sunburn imaginable, times that feel by 3 and have a cat using it as their personal scratching post. Sounds awful, but you get used to it fast. I and many others actually enjoy the feeling.

Hope it turns out good if you go ahead with it!

6. Both B&G and Colour tattoos are wicked cool. There are many people (myself included) who think that "fine art/brush stroke" tattoos won't hold up well to the hands of time, but, fuck them (myself included) if they say anything.
    While its true that all inks fade, personally i believe that there is a higher likelihood Black & Grey inks will fade proportionately to each other, while colour inks probably have more variables that make them fade at different rates. 

The golden rule applies, if you want it and you like it, then who gives a shit.

As for the pain, I'm going to try to explain it in a Math equation.......but im @ blazed right now.

7. I have two tattoos which is kind of blended into one, one is all black words and the other is a colored flower (lol @ you referencing how dumbasses just go get flowers). It all depends on what you're getting. Straight words looks better black, along with things like crosses and whatnot.
    The biggest thing to consider is this thing is gonna be on your body for life and you don't wanna regret which is somewhat of a duh, but people overlook it.
    Any tattoo on your arm shouldn't hurt too bad, I like to compare it to a constant pinch. I got my two on my ribs, and right around my hip bone, and it felt like constant bee stings.

Good luck on your tattoos!

8. When you're thinking of an idea, get in in your mind, even sketch it out yourself first if you're able, then sit on the idea for a while.I've had ideas I was so ready to get when I thought of them, and still liked the idea a month later, but a few months down the road while saving for it I changed my mind, and that could have been horrible had I just went out and done it.I have a chest tattoo that wasn't supposed to cover my chest, but when he stenciled it on me I loved it at the moment, but after a week or so I remembered why I just wanted it how I did originally, because I wouldn't have to wear turtle necks to work every day.I love my tattoo to pieces, but some days it's draining just to think about not being able to wear something to work because of it.But upper arm shouldn't be too terrible pain wise.And personally, I'm not a fan of color tattoos, but done designs it looks great with, especially with what you're talking about, color would probably be the best way to express it.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I would say go for colour, but that's just preference.

Find a good artist, talk to him and trust him. Alot of people want alot of elements in their first tattoo and 9/10 it wont work. Tell him what you want and let him draw something up, and then go from there until your happy!

10. Its really an good artist work i liked the tattoo designs

11. Hello, everyone! My name's Judith I'm a designer from the Momentary Ink - Realistic, Custom Temporary Tattoos they offer a variety of fake tattoos (you can even create the design yourself) which you can customize and test-drive before deciding to make it permanent. It's perfect if you're not sure whether it would look great or not! Come and visit their website now!