Is Math real?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BMORE HiiiGH, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Stoned & just got into a few good reads...Math is thought to be true, could it just be a game? Can mathematicians actually prove that math is true? Is it just a language nor true or false? :smoking:

"Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted."
    -Einstein

Evolving Excellence: Math is not Real

Is Math True? | Can mathematics be proven? Does math contradict itself? Are the axioms proven? | ClockBackward Essays

2. Depends on which element of philosophy you subscribe to. If you're a fallibilist then ultimately anything we believe and hold as 'true' today probably isn't. It's certainly a debate on whether axiomization holds any truth.

3. I'm pretty sure 1+1=2.
    On a serious note, the apple example was a bad one. Math is probably nor true or false, but sure as fuck handy, and necassary in science.

4. Math is absolutely important to us, so whether or not it's 'real' doesn't really matter. The way we've come to use it has become essential for, like Nervousness just mentioned, our sciences.

5. Yeah, numbers are illusory mental discriminations.

So, math is like a language.

We pretend the symbols and sounds have mutual meaning.

Real or fake, karma is karma.

--

Does math exist in solitude?

6. One of my favorites, watch it, very interesting and it was darren arfonsky's first movie.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQYYGwYTPuY]YouTube - ‪[/ame]

7. I post this all the time! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNOQUPmgbnY]YouTube - ‪Pi - Patterns‬‏[/ame]

:D

8. Hahaha me 2 man.

9. The symbols we use in math are made up by man to make life easier and understandable, but whether you believe in math or not, there is intelligent programming found in everything. Math is just one way to decode that and see that intelligent programming.

Like the golden ratio, the fibonacci sequence, magic square, etc. How the golden ratio can be found in our hands, in flowers, in our DNA, etc. After a while it's hard to write it all off as a coincidence.

10. Here's some Geometry shit for you.....

Math + Nature + Creation = god damn right you should watch this video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7GJ-8SY068]YouTube - ‪Spirit Science 6 - Flower of Life‬‏[/ame]

11. @Echoes, Sick fucking vid! But why isn't there a British commentator.

12. op....some branches of math allow experimentation in the real world which is, quite real...idk how much it would interest you but you could draw two sides of a pythagoras triangle on paper and measure the result for the hypothenuse and you would get the result predited my math every time.....do the perpendicular, say, 6 inches, then do the horizontal 8 inches...then draw the hypothenuse and measure it in inches...you should get 10 inches...which is real.

or 9-12...12-16...so on and so forth...

13. well if math wasn't real you wouldn't be typing on a computer communicating with other people across the planet because computers work off equations

14. Math is man made, And used as coding and communication advancing from the beginning of human-kind to even today. Math is much like language, A communications tool dawned upon man-kind. It could be real, And it could have stronger, Deeper answers to things unimaginable, But nobodie really knows how it all began.

Tl;dr - I have no idea =D

15. The argument that math is man made is muddled when most mathematicians maintain the advances are "discovered" not necessarily "created."

Is this system with which we interact with mathmatics, man made? Of course it is.
    Is mathematics as a concept man-made? I think there's too much presumption necessary to say yes to that.

16. whether its "real" or manmade, it doesnt matter.

just think of it as a tool, much like instructions to building something or measuring wood to specific lengths u need.

17. I was stoned when I read into it...some mind boggling stuff, been watching videos & articles :smoking:

18. to me, this applies when thinking on the concept of infinity in the mathematical sense (as in set theory)