Is inner happiness achieved through the mind insanity?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Faz9, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Last night i was thinking and this question popped into my head.

If in your mind you are happy with a white picket fence, a house, family, dog, and tire swing, a "normal" life, what makes you any different than the man who is locked in his room with dead squirrels around him to keep the evil away? If the man in the room is just as happy as the man with the "normal" life why would we consider one insane and not the other. Just because different things make us happy does that make our happiness different?

So the question still remains. Is inner happiness achieved through the mind just a form of insanity?

2. when you're on LSD you finally come to the realization you're crazy, out of your mind, and can only enjoy it if you accept the craziness.

just peoples perceptions.

i shall control them ALL!:smoke:

3. I think there are an infinite different forms of happiness. Because of the individual's perception. I used to live the most mentally stable and peaceful life because I desired nothing and had everything. It wasn't until my eyes were opened to greater emotions that I realized the potential for a 'greater' happiness. That's when I became depressed. I think there is like a threshold to happiness--Kind of like a painkiller. No matter how much Aspirin you take, you will never have as much relief as Vicodin could give you. Similarly, you may be happy going down one path in life, but there could be a different path that provides a potentially 'greater' happiness.

4. sanity is pretty much only a construct of human ego... though that's my personal opinion as i've been to insanity and back (have i ever left?) and though most forms of insanity are usually put to people that have a difficult time living in this world or doing a 9-5, who is really there to say that someone elses perspective of the world is wrong (which is what calling someone "insane" basically boils down to... a childish insult to insinuate that they're wrong based on their differing perspective of the world.)

besides, what makes someone sane and what makes them insane? if you go by the classical definition, we're all insane. each and every one of us. i challenge anyone to find someone that is perfectly "sane." i contend that you can't really survive in this world without being just a little bit insane.

5. It ca be another way of looking at it. Interesting thoughts! I don't know if it is possible to define happiness at all. Happiness means something different to every one, and there cannot be an “objective” definition. However I found the following definition useful

Definition of Happiness | SpreadingHappiness.org

I had a shot at trying to define it in a more "scientific" or "objective" way, despite it being a subjective feeeling. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you,

Nick

6. Inner peace is not insanity but the acceptance and positive perception of a reality we are contempt with. or is that insanity? is insanity insanity if in the holders mind it is sane for him to act the way he does, wouldent that make him sane, How can we judge people without us knowing everything there is to know what gives us the authority to tell them how to act? How do we know were in the right? is it our world or there world?. i think its all about greed. peace xx:smoking:

7. We consider one insane by statistics. Statistically most people don't surround themselves with dead squirrels, it would be a very rare case. That's what normal is, it's not a set way to act, it's how the majority of people act with little differences, but still within a spectrum. That's why someone can be "normal" all the way out to down right fucked up, it's like a line of behaviors almost, if you have mostly these behaviors your normal, but if you have less of these behaviors and more of those behaviors you go further down that line towards weird/insane/fucked up.

Inner peace has nothing to do with being normal, in fact it seems alot of the happiest people are outside of most peoples conception of normal. Your inner thoughts/feelings and your behaviors don't necessarily have to go together

8. Im pretty happy...

9. The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    -Marcus Aurelius

However, the question is about whether inner happiness is related to insanity. If you consider delusion to be insanity then I think that a diluted person has a very good chance of being happy, because they are able to construct their world as they see fit.

However, to me, an insane person is further off than just diluted. They have lost control of their thoughts; their mind and no longer have any goal or purpose whatsoever; wandering aimlessly, pushed by their fears and controlled by their inability to process information.

I suppose this is the line between genius and insanity... no?

10. being happy is being grateful for what you have right now. by being appreciative and grateful for what you have now will bring more to be appreciative for, more of what you like and want

11. #11 DaiLLeSTeL, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009

In life u either control your mind or your mind controls you..

You either go for what you want or run from what you dont want. In which you still receive.

I would rather be someone whos a winner, not someone who is not a loser .
    :smoking:

12. winning and loosing? through who's perception?

true achievement is often gained while society perceives you to be a looser; eg. diesel, etc.

the only thing that one is truly able to control is not whether one 'wins' or 'looses' but the attitude that one has while trying. -> the only way to control your mind is through your attitude.

13. "Losing" "control" over "your" thoughts may not be a bad thing. What is this "you," and what is their to "control?" Living without goals, purpose, desire is to live without suffering, which is not so bad. When you drop the ego, there is nothing left to fear.

Processing information is the very nature of reality... and cannot be stopped or lost.

14. #15 DaiLLeSTeL, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009

through my perception.. for it is really the only one that counts.

true achievement is when i truely achieve what i truly sought for.
    others persepective do not define me, their perception is of no value to me. although i can benefit from others perspective and learn.

only i can control whether i win or i lose.
    The game of life

the attitude of a winner never consist of "trying" but by "will"

nah i can control my mind..

invest in the psychology of winning

15. your mind is a wonderful tool and source of infinite potential..
    now you can use and fully utilize this amazing tool to its unlimited possibilities..
    you can use this hammer to construct the estate of your dreams or you can bash your finger on the first nail and give up.

I am I. I am to control my life, and my enviroment.

I want to go forward. Get ahead.
    I will Excel.
    Live
    Bliss in Paradise
    with a weed field and and everything else i see in my dreams
    or the things i mastermind in my masterplan.
    I Improve.

What is Meditation?

16. #17 philan, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
    Happiness in any situation is relative to the lens you choose to look through. ;)

17. to true. happiness is a choice

18. makes me think of this:

"Your Emotions"

Your mommy told you this
    And your daddy told you that
    Always think like this
    And never do that
    You learned so many feelings
    But what is there to that
    Which are really yours
    Or are you just a copycat

Your school told you this
    And your church told you that
    Memorize this
    And don't you dare look at that

Just a tape recorder
    Mimicking of the bores

You're so boring boring boring
    Always tape machine recording
    I've heard all this before

Planless and mindless
    Scraps from anywhere
    Bunch of used parts
    From garbage pails everywhere
    Frankenstein became a monster
    Just like you
    Your scars only show
    When someone talks to you

Always tape machine recording
    Your emotions make you a monster

19. There is no such thing as insane or normal. just what our society sees as normal and insane. people developed a way of life through thousands of years of finding a proper "system". and we've all been in this system and society since we've been born so this is our perception of normal. people should be able to do whatever they want to make themselves happy (other than like killing people and shit) because we all work differently and different things make us feel happy. go live in the fucking forest if you want. whatever makes you happy. as long as you do what YOU wanna do with your life, you're not insane in any way.
    Pursue what makes you guys happy and do it stoned :smoke: