noob building a gaming pc. is this setup any good?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Spyder, Sep 14, 2013.

1. #41 Spyder, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
    Holy shit, hold up! Just reinstalled the processor and like an idiot I did mess up originally. Didn't pull up the little metal bar that locks it into place, which explains why the heat sink/fan wasn't as easy to install as it should have been. 

Going to fiddle around and then I'll report back. You guys are awesome btw

edit: Should i put in the other stick of ram and video card before doing all the configuring and whatnot?

2. Hope it all works out!

Sent from my EVO using Grasscity Forum mobile app

what do you mean all the configuring? If you're talking about going into the bios you're going to need a gpu plugged into your monitor so you can see if it posts or not. It will run on 1 stick of ram but might as well install the other stick.

4. Update

5. Got it all working and the games I downloaded using the Radeon Gold card are working great! (Saints row, tomb raider, and hitman)

Couldn't thank you guys enough. It would have been extremely difficult/expensive without your help. 

I'm now a pc gamer! Been wanting to do this for a while and I'm glad to have made the transition. 

:yay:

6. Congratulations man, what was the problem? I'm planning to build mine as soon as the new amd cards launch.

Glad it all worked out. You should have saved one of your credits for BF4 or something like that haha. But those are good games as well, i especially like tomb raider.

When I put in the processor I didn't lift the metal bar and then lock it into place. Instead I just dropped it on. Dumb mistake and I'm lucky I didn't mess it up. Listened to @[member="janedough"] and went back and checked part by part so thanks for that suggestion!

Sheeeit.. didn't know I could hold off and get something else later or I wouldn't have gotten Hitman lol. Oh well, I'm not going to complain at this point, I'm a happy camper.

9. My laptop can run Fallout 3 and New Vegas on ultra high graphics with a pretty good framerate. Not all laptops are bad for gaming! Hahaha

10. I should clarify, laptops in that price range. I wish I could afford a good mobile gaming rig.

those aren't hard games to run though. try metro last light or crysis 3.

12. I'll be downloading the Crysis Trilogy later today. I'll let you know how well it runs. PS, computer specs are in the Post Your Computer thread.

Hows that haswell processor treating you? I've heard great things about it on the mobile side of cpus, good choice for a gaming laptop. What's the battery life like?

The specs are nice man but at the end of the day it must have cost you an arm and a leg but if mobility is mandatory then i understand.

14. #54 Blissful Dusk, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
    I want a gaming PC as well, too bad I don't have any money I just bought a mac about a year ago (~$1400) 

I'm going to start saving up for one though, is Newegg the cheapest place for parts?

no. if you go on pcpartpicker it will tell you which places have the cheapest parts for each different component. If you live near a microcenter they have the best cpu/motherboard combo prices out of anywhere else.