noob building a gaming pc. is this setup any good?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Spyder, Sep 14, 2013.

1. xSadrulesx already posted a PCPartPicker list, but if you're seriously planning on building your own, put in all the parts on PCPartPicker first. It'll tell you about any compatibility issues, list the wattage you're looking at, and will tell you which site has each part for the best price. 

The possibility that something will come dead on arrival always exists. Shipping can damage some parts, but the chances of that happening are relatively low. If that ever happens you just send the part in and get a replacement.

In terms of reliability let me put it this way, i have a shitty dell oem pc with really low quality parts for over 4 years now and it doesn't look like it's going to fail anytime soon. The chances that every part in your pc will fail is within a close time frame is extremely low, a single part can fail but it shouldn't happen anytime soon. Most of the parts have pretty good warranty as well.

Nothing really to learn. Just keep the video open while you're building and you'll be fine. Don't worry about static i built my pc on carpet and everything was fine. if you're worried about it just touch a metal part of your case before picking up a new part.

It will come with everything.

3. I was also going to build 2 computers one legit gaming one and one super cheap just for web browsing and writing to help with school

so how is this for $150 already ready just for web browsing

• Processor Type: AMD
    • Processor Model: E1-1200
    • Processor Speed: 1.4GHz
    • Processor Core: Dual-core
    • Cache: 1MB
    • System Memory (RAM): 4GB
    • RAM Expandable To: 4GB
    • Type of Memory (RAM): DDR3
    • Number of Memory Slots: 2
    • Memory Card Reader: Yes
    • Number of Hard Drives: 1
    • Hard Drive Capacity: 500GB
    • Hard Drive Interface: SATA
    • Hard Drive RPM: 7,200
    • Optical Drive Type: DVD+RW
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7310
    • Video Memory: Not Available
    • Network Card: Not Available
    • Wireless Networking: Not Available-> this does NOT mean i NEED to use an ethernet cable? i CAN use wifi somehow?
    • Available Expansion Slots: Not Available
    • USB Ports: 6

4. why not just use your gaming pc for that as well? don't see why you need two different ones unless you're going to have them in different locations.

its a bit of a mental thing i got really bad attention and it helps a lot to turn it off plus itll be easier and...
    A PC GROW
    MRGROWPRO

a couple pcs and lots of messy wires will keep any prying eyes and hands away

plus more pcs will cover the fan sounds

6. #26 Spyder, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
    Ok so I think this is the setup I'll be going with, just need to confirm that it's worth getting, though it's basically the same things as what Sadrules listed.

PC Part Picker

There's a couple compatibility issues regarding the case/motherboard and the case fans.. Idk if the case/motherboard issue is a big deal or not. I think the one about the fans is because the motherboard is 4 prongs and the fans are 3 prongs. Will running them 100% all the time be alright?

Should I get these fans or is there a better deal on relatively quiet fans? And should I get a cpu fan too? Kind of going over my budget already so if I don't need one I probably won't get one right now.

Going to be pulling the trigger tonight or tomorrow depending on the responses I get.

Oh, and someone in the comments on Newegg said that motherboard didn't work with their FX processor.. kinda thinking they just did something wrong. And with this being a micro motherboard, is that video card gonna be alright in there? Also read a comment saying to stay away from big video cards. Idk about the people commenting though; that's why I come to you guys lol

But yeah, feel free to critique that list. I think I did alright picking a good monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Not top of the line but good for the price. The monitor is 5ms as apposed to the BenQ I was thinking about which was 1ms but 50 bucks more.

edit: Definitely pulling the trigger tonight if someone lets me know if these parts will all be compatible without issues like some people said on Newegg. Wanna order with confidence since it's kind of a lot of money. So definitely lemme know if I should make any changes 'cause I'm getting antsy! lol

Thanks again to everyone that helped. I appreciate you guys going out of your way to give me good information. A thanks is all I can give, but hopefully the feeling of knowing that you got someone into the pc gaming scene will suffice.

7. #27 xSadrulesx, Sep 18, 2013
    If you want to save some money the fans aren't a necessity at all. As far as the motherboard it shouldn't have any compatibility issues unless it comes shipped with a really old bios version installed. Then you would need to update the bios, I doubt that will be the case though because AMD never made any motherboards that supported the fx processors with their earliest bios so most likely it will come shipped with a bios version that is compatible with your cpu. 

That gpu will be fine with that mobo as well so no worries. Everything is compatible the compatibility issues on pcpartpicker only means that you won't have access to USB 3.0 on the front panel of your case since it only comes with USB 2.0. If you want to use USB 3.0 you will have to use the ports on your motherboard that you will have access to on the back of your case in the I/O area. 

Just one question, do you own a desktop computer right now and do you know the specs?

edit: another thing if you want a quite cpu cooler and the ability to overclock then pick up a hyper 212 evo or an enermax t40. If overclocking is something you're interested in then spend $10 more and get the 600w version of that power supply.

8. Yeah I have a desktop, but I'm 90% sure it's 100% garbage.

Dell Inspiron 531S

My mom's gonna give me $200 for it though so I'll be using the money for the build.

9. oh nvm then. the reason i asked is because on the slight chance that your motherboard came shipped with a really old bios version you could use an older cpu to boot on and then install a newer version. But don't worry about i'm sure that won't be the case. If it is you can buy like some cheapo $30 am3 cpu, install it and then return it for your money back.

10. #30 Spyder, Sep 18, 2013
    Ah right on.

Well since everything seems to check out, I'm gonna proceed to checkout lol

Will definitely be updating this thread when I get the parts/start building. Hopefully I get all the parts within the next week.

11. Got my parts today and have been working on getting it put together... just got it together and tried booting it up and got a blank screen.. fans work but it's not working. Having trouble finding out what I did wrong.

12. Could really use some help... really bummed that it's not working 

When all else fails my go-to is take it apart and put it back together again. You'd be surprised how often that works. :laughing: 

14. I've been taking stuff apart and putting it back together for hours now.. Feels pretty depressing. I was really excited when I got all the parts and now I have a useless computer that I spent all my money on.... 

Can't find an answer anywhere online either. Fuckin' stressed to the max

what's the problem maybe i can help you out? it's a good idea to have that video i showed you open while you're doing it if you don't have it already

16. #36 Spyder, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
    I was watching part 2 of the newegg tutorial while I did it and I'm pretty sure I've done everything correctly.

Plugged in the 500w power source to everything; both atx and atx 12v (8 pins), dvd drive, hard drive, video card (two 6 pin pci express connector)

Plugged in the front panel header wires which were all individual but I'm almost positive I have them plugged in right; also have the usb1 plugged in and hd audio as well as a 3 pin fan in a 4 pin connector which just makes it run full blast..

Dvd drive and hard drives both connected to the motherboard with sata cables. cpu fan is in... pretty sure all is installed right.. but I'm not 100% sure. Only installed 1 stick of ram for now in slot 1. 

Only connectors left unused are SPIF_0, LPT, COM, F_USB30, F_USB2, SATA (4 left), IDE, and two slots (one long one shortish) below the slot that the video card goes in. 

I turn it on and the fans start up and everything seems functional but there isn't any signal to the monitor. 
    I've tried different monitors and I've also tried connecting the monitor to the motherboard and the video card (not at the same time).

Nothing..

I don't have a case speaker so that makes it more difficult to figure out.. Been researching and haven't found any good answers. Some say it could be the ram and some say the mobo is fried, which would suck pretty badly. 

I don't know what to do at this point. Really don't wanna take it in and overpay for service..  

I'll be checking this thread very frequently 

17. Are all the fans spinning? CPU, GPU, etc? Try the other stick of ram as well, make sure your gpu and everything is seated correctly.

18. Yeah all the fans are spinning. Just tried the other stick and still no display.. Really have no clue what it could be.

19. Did you install the standoffs for the motherboard? I heard that can be a problem if not installed

Sent from my EVO using Grasscity Forum mobile app

remember when i said if you were unlucky and got a mobo with an old bios version then it might not post with your cpu? i'm guess that's most likely the issue. u got the 6300 and the gigabyte board right? try picking up the cheapest am3 cpu you can find and booting on that, install the new bios and then return it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103888