I'm switching my major to Information Communication Technology need advice.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Deleted member 472633, Feb 13, 2012.

1. I'm going to a Four Year state University, I recently was pursuing a degree in Political Science but social science degrees are basically becoming worthless and I want to make money when I get out of college. My college offers Computer Science and ICT degrees. I've taken two computer science classes and although I enjoy some very basic programming the HUGE math requirement is a major turn off for me.
    So ICT which is basically what my University calls IT sounds good to me. What specializations should I pursue? Does anybody else have this major or career? What are some good certifications to test for? Literally any first hand knowledge and or experience would be welcome!

2. ICT is the basis of networking and the communications between computers.

With that said, you're likely to encounter classes dealing primarily with networks of varying design(data, voice, video, etc.).

Usually there is a math requirement--Calc--as well as basic programming(likely Java for a bare minimum).

If you plan on doing the helpdesk route, the core classes will most likely teach you along the lines of an A+ or Network+ certification, however the school that I attend focuses primarily on Cisco(CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA/DP) and Microsoft certifications.

Don't be fooled, there is a considerable amount of work involved, just like Comp Sci. It's the fallback major to failed comp sci majors and computer engineering majors who think this is the easy way out.

Hopefully I haven't scared you off, but I'm more than willing to share any more pointers.

GL

3. #3 Deleted member 472633, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks I appreciate it! And I am all for hard work I'm not trying to wimp out or take the easy road, if I wanted to do that I'd just stick with political science which comes easy to me. I just want to put in hard work and be sure I get a good job out of it with a decent graduation date. I still am considering the comp sci major but it would be another two and a half years at least before I graduate.

I want to have a wide range of skills but specialize in Network Administration and System Administration. I'm waiting for an email/appointment from my school's engineering department but are these appropriate classes to take for my desired career path? Have you heard about the job prospects for this field? I

Here are the required courses from my school's engineering department: (these are only within the major itself it does not include the math classes)

ICT 320. Software Applications Software for IT
    Use of commercial software packages such as data base management, data acquisition, and data presentation for ICT applications. Prerequisite for ICT majors: Junior Standing in ICT. (3 Cr.)
    ICT 339. Computer Forensics
    The legal, regulatory and technical aspects of computer forensics. Topics include current law; privacy legislation; chain of evidence; creating a Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT); and the extraction, preservation, analysis and presentation of computer-related evidence. (3 Cr.)
    ICT 345. Computer Hardware Fundamentals
    Computer hardware fundamentals including architecture, interfacing, peripherals, troubleshooting, system upgrades, and maintenance. Prerequisite for ICT majors: Junior Standing in ICT. (3 Cr.)
    ICT 352. Miscellaneous Programming Topics
    Refresher Course and Review of Modern Computer Programming for the ICT Program. (3 Cr.)
    ICT 362. Software Technology II
    Advanced Software Development. Prerequisite for ICT majors: An introductory computer programming course using a structured programming language and Junior Standing in ICT. (3 Cr.)
    ICT 377. Computer Networking I
    Computer network design and applications from LAN to WAN, protocols, switches, bridges, routers, Windows server, TCP/IP networks, network diagnostics, and the OSI layers from physical to transport. Prerequisite for ICT majors: Junior Standing in ICT. (3 Cr.)
    ICT 410. Management Topics in ICT.
    Management Topics for ICT Majors. Prerequisite for ICT majors: Senior Standing in ICT. (3 Cr.)
    ICT 435. Senior Project or Internship.
    Advanced ICT Project or Internship. Normally taken during last semester of the program. Prerequisite. for ICT majors: Senior Standing in ICT. (3 Cr.)
    ICT 450. Advanced Topics in Information and Communications Technology.
    Various computer special Topics Course. (3 Cr.)
    ICT 456. Analysis of Physical Security Systems
    The design, analysis and implementation of security systems and subsystems including threat detection and response, information and communications security, and physical protection. Prerequisite for ICT majors: Senior Standing in ICT. (3 Cr.)
    ICT457 - Intro Information Security Technology - 3 Credits.
    Practical techniques of Data Encryption Technology, Steganography for Information Technology, Intrusion Detection and Countermeasures. Use of Python to write system tools for detecting anomalies in data flow. Design of physically secure data housing. Techniques of Industrial Espionage. Hiding and finding of secrets in the field. Dead Drops, design of Fake ID's. Use of PGP and other public encryption methods. Using DNS tools to track down hackers. Hiding of information in music and other audio files. Prereq: ICT377
    ICT458 - Database Technology for Engineering - 3 Credits
    Using SQL in a Tomcat (Java Servlet oriented) environment. Data conversion using Python and line editing for Engineering Technology departments. Methods of transferring data from electronic boards and data feeds, into databases. Use of SQL in java programming. Remote programming of Computers for running Database system in a Unix/Linux/ Windows/Mac mixed environment. Generation of Web Pages directly from Database queries. Prereq. ICT362
    ICT 460. Advanced Topics in MultiMedia Applications
    Examples of Applications are MacroMedia Flash, Animation Software, Imaging Software, Producing Animated Gifs, etc. Prerequisite for ICT majors: Junior Standing in ICT. (3 Cr.)
    ICT462 - Remote Access Operating Systems. 3 Credits
    Concepts relating to operating systems applications and interfacing with an introduction to systems administration. Setup and control of webservers and all common unix tasks. Prerequisite: ICT362
    ICT463 - Python and other Unix Scripting. 3 Credits
    Concepts relating to automation and development of task management in operating systems for systems administration. Scripting using Python and Unix. Design and control of Webservers using CGI programming. Prerequisite: ICT462
    ICT 477. Computer Networking II
    Advanced topics in computer networking. Prerequisite for ICT majors: ICT 377. (3 Cr.)

4. #4 SeanyCash, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
    I would try to get an electronics engineering degree, you will find much more opportunities and be able to work in a vast amount of disciplines including IT.

Certifications are important for IT, but if you want to move up you will need a good understanding of electronics and business communications

5. Having said that he has studies in political science actually ties in quite well with the business aspects of the profession, which can launch a person up to the CTO-CIO level if skillsets are leveraged appropriately. Consequently, many employers would like IT/CS/CE/EE majors to pursue an MBA in order to reach middle and upper management levels.

Very(!) few IT related majors implement any social skills, leaving them adept at a skill, but limited in options to converse with people. I'd believe you're on the right track either way.

Additionally, employers value both business skills and certs. We had a Cisco partner visit for a presentation at our uni. Most vendors will get a HUGE discount and will prefer a person with a CCIE or at least a CCNP.

The pay increase isn't bad for that either.....!

6. So do the courses look good/similiar to what you guys have taken? Most of these are online courses.

7. [quote name='"James2912"']So do the courses look good/similiar to what you guys have taken? Most of these are online courses.[/quote]

I have an electronics engineering degree,so I didn't have any of those IT specific courses in my curriculum. I will say though that online classes make it extremely difficult to learn technical skills. You really need to have a teacher present and be around the equipment used in the industry if you want to learn anything. Try to stay away from online courses.

Don't let me scare you away from anything though, I am only speaking my opinion based on my experiences.

8. I don't really have a choice about the online courses but it is a state university and not some online degree mill. So I'm assuming they know what they are doing. Really for me its either a computer science degree that I don't think I have the math skills or time to complete or an ICT degree that relies heavily on online classes. I am taking an online programming class for Visual Basic right now and I'm learning a lot and I like it so idk.

9. [quote name='"James2912"']I don't really have a choice about the online courses but it is a state university and not some online degree mill. So I'm assuming they know what they are doing. Really for me its either a computer science degree that I don't think I have the math skills or time to complete or an ICT degree that relies heavily on online classes. I am taking an online programming class for Visual Basic right now and I'm learning a lot and I like it so idk.[/quote]

Sounds like you're on the right track man, the best of luck to you. If you like the classes then you'll do great.

10. [quote name='"James2912"']I don't really have a choice about the online courses but it is a state university and not some online degree mill. So I'm assuming they know what they are doing. Really for me its either a computer science degree that I don't think I have the math skills or time to complete or an ICT degree that relies heavily on online classes. I am taking an online programming class for Visual Basic right now and I'm learning a lot and I like it so idk.[/quote]

I was stuck in the same position, but went for CS because its more programming which is what i wanna do. Also its school of engineering so i could switch to chem eng or electrical eng easily but thats just me.

Visual Basic :(
    C :)

11. ICT is in the college of Engineering at my School while Computer Science is in the College of Arts and Sciences. I'm going to learn a few programming languages in ICT, programming is cool so far but I'm not sure if I want to do it for a living.

What have you guys heard about the entry level salaries and the job market? I've heard mixed reviews on both... :( I've heard its booming and the pay is great but then I've also heard that IT jobs are being outsourced and the pay is barely above minimum wage! ugghh!

12. Some are similar, but I'm getting the impression that some of these courses are very brief in the topics listed. I'm taking a servers class this semester, I'm supposed to be testing for the MCSE this summer, so it seems fairly relevant.

Physics, engineering, and hell, Clifford Stoll(Author of The Cuckoo's Egg, was an astronomer) were brilliant programmers, and didn't learn any programming in school.

I'm iffy with online courses, but look to investing in a networking lab to set up at home, or download a program called GNS3. It's a virtual lab, but you have to get images of the routers and switches to use in the emulator.

Programming is a cutthroat deal. If you're good, they'll keep you until some hot-shot comes in straight outta high school. So keep on your toes.

And the market for this field varies. More companies(cough, Cisco, cough) have learned the hard way about shipping jobs overseas.

In my area, a company I'm trying to intern for offers starting salaries around the 80k range. Granted, they want you to be knowledgeable.

Otherwise, I'd expect to begin with at least 30k minimum, and that will only increase with experience. And that's in the midwest!

13. The briefness/quality of the course is what I'm afraid of. I want to get the bang for my buck. I guess a lot of it depends on what I make of it, I assume a lot of the knowledge I'm going to acquire on my own and through experience.
    Thanks, I'm going to look into this program and setting up a lab. I'm on a tight budget in between jobs but hopefully I'll find a job soon and I'll be able to afford it.

14. Those networking classes are a good start, but if you are looking for something that will be in high demand in the future, you can't go wrong with network security. Also, some certifications to add to your resume can't be beat. Try to go Cisco and Microsoft for certifications, they seem to go a long way in the job market.

15. Have a meet with your school's counselor on what classes you need in order to get your degree. Make a good list and schedule your classes with back up schedules in case you end up not getting the ones you first chose out.

In my university, a bachelor's in comp science requires, calculus 1, 2 and 3 along with 3 classes of calculus based physics, finite math, discrete math and a couple other courses including general chemistry and biology in addition to the 70-80 units of Major classes of programming and engineering.

IT and Comp Info Systems is very similar, with a difference in few classes that can be swapped. The math stays though.

16. We do have a Comp info systems major but its got more math than the IT major.
    In our systems Comp Info Systems is in the business college, computer science is in the Arts and Sciences college, and ICT is in the Engineering College.