Mining bitcoins

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by guest/banned, Nov 13, 2011.

1. :wave: So I've got quite a powerful rig but only a half ass internet connection.

Would I need to be connected to the internet 24/7 if I wanted to try solo mining for coins?

Does anybody on here do this?

2. im trying to get into bitcoins but i cant even figure out how to start, can you help?

3. Do you want to mine solo or join a pool?

Joining a pool looks like the best way, not sure if its worth doing though. Some people are using multiple machines.

I only looked into it today after reading this: NewsLobster (Y)^_(V) - How to get started using your GPU to mine for Bitcoins on Windows

I got it working but its no use to me if you need to be connected all the time.

4. what is the difference between solo and a pool?

5. Joining a pool will give you much more of a chance of actually getting any bitcoins but you will have to share some of the amount.

Im really not the person to ask, I only started looking into this a few hours ago. :smoke:

6. well i only need a few more questions. can i run the mining on a mac

7. #7 Broseph Radson, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
    [quote name='"smokeridge high"']well i only need a few more questions. can i run the mining on a mac[/quote]

You can but unless you have an aftermarket gpu you probably wont get much.

8. I don't think it is really even worth it unless you have several PC's set up to just mine bitcoins and even then you are investing like $600 minimum to mine bitcoins when it would probably be better to just go to an exchange site to buy them.

Also, most uses for bitcoins are illegal(like I care) and even though they cannot find your IP or anything they can follow the flow of bitcoins to track you down ultimately.

IMO it's not worth it.

9. There was a very elaborate thread on bitcoins on here a whilee ago, I just tried to search it but I guess it got deleted. sucks too, wonderful source of information.

10. bitcoin's value has fallen disastrously and even botnet miners are almost useless these days

11. Got a spam email recently in which some d-bag was trying to sell newly minted real bit-coins...real coins?...WTF

12. what is the exchange rate of bitcoin to usd?

13. #13 Ska, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
    Thread So you wanna mine Bitcoins? [General Discussion of the P2P Currency too] | Grasscity.com Forums - The Medicinal Marijuana Cultivation, Smoking, Activism and Counter-Culture Community | BoardReader

bitches be deletin my threads n shit yo

:(:(:(:(:(:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Pm'd an admin... thanks for letting me know it was dead.

14. :wave: Thanks to all who helped.

I was only thinking about it because I could have left my work computer mining them every night and that way I wouldn't have to pay for the electric ;) Its a shame I couldn't set the whole network up mining but I'd get in trouble for that if they found out.

Nevermind I'll just buy some.

15. Does your work computer have a high end gfx card? If not it would be pointless anyway.

16. Nvidia GTX460 the 2gig version but it looks like ATI are better for it. Nevermind just thought I'd give it a go, its not connected to the internet all the time anyway thats why I was asking.

17. ahh there you are ska, yea no problem mang, Idk why they would delete that thread, seems like you put a lot of time and thought into it.

18. Or you could mine and sell them for real money:smoke: