Thinking about getting a Mac

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Enemizz, Sep 14, 2011.

1. So last night I had my mind set on a iPhone and I thought to myself, why not just get a Macbook Pro. I mean I have worked with them before but never personally owned one. And I think it would be pretty cool since I always wanted one and basically, my friend told me, Apple products are like the future for every device they put out.

I wanted to get some opinion of some fellow blades, so what's up, what you guys think?

Also if you own a Mac, what do you like most about it that makes it unique?

2. I prefer using Macs. I'm a minimalist and the convenience of the user controls is what really sold me. I suppose it comes down to what you use your computer for and whether or not you want to spend extra for the brand.

3. I use office tools and I do a lot of Photoshoping

4. If you're fine paying for image, go for it. There is absolutely no reason that Apple products should cost what they do.

The appeal to being "simpler" to use is crap. Windows 7 is not difficult to use in the least, and it's not like any Windows user going to a Mac is going to find it all that intuitive. Both have learning curves, and neither is more "simple" than the other. Preference rules.

5. #5 jayhawks22, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    I bought my alluminum macbook for college 3 years ago..... it's still in perfect condition these things are completely reliable/durable. All my friends who bought PC's after graduation b4 college don't have them anymore. BUY THE MAC! T

***To the guy above, if your going to buy a decent PC that's actually going to last it will be atleast, if not more, than a macbook. 1000 seems to be starting base for a quality laptop that won't hit the fritz and isn't made out of cheap ass parts

6. Here we go again....

7. I'm a Windows guy, macs piss me off.

8. I own a MacBook and the only use I can find for it is surfing the Internet.

Apple isn't the future. Keep in mind most major systems run windows or Linux. Its great if you want the basic functions of a computer but know that macs are the worst in terms of gaming. You will have to install windows if you want to game

Also I had to send that thing in for repairs so many times. They are not very reliable IMO and at least you can fix a windows machine without sending it back to the company

9. ^^ there's plenty of third party mac technicians that perform repairs locally and for significantly cheaper. fuck apple care plans.

10. The only people that don't like macs are those who haven't ever owned one... once you buy one you'll want everything you own to be made by apple.

11. Are macs set up for wimax yet? I'm getting a new laptop soon for school, and the campus had their own wimax.

12. Lol iight since I'm getting mix decisions, I added a poll to it

13. Oh id like to add that macs are really nice, but I think they're hyped up. They're pretty expensive, and when I look at laptops don't seem to have everything id want..however I've owned them in the past and was always happy with them. Also if you buy apple care I think its worth it

14. I'm a media student and use my mac to edit my shit. It runs alot smoother when I'm editing footage etc. Rather use iMovie on my mac that doesn't crash then be stuck with shitty windows movie maker that literally crashes every 5 minutes.
    I had Microsoft Office for mac (home and student edition) pre-installed when I ordered my macbook so I can easily send essays/group work to my peers in college.
    The Dock is much more efficient to use than the Windows start menu and taskbar -- the icon opens an app or returns to it if it's already open. It doesn't become crowded when you have lots of windows open.

I'm not saying macs don't have problems, but on the whole my macbook suits my needs better :)

15. [quote name='"Twee"']I'm a media student and use my mac to edit my shit. It runs alot smoother when I'm editing footage etc. Rather use iMovie on my mac that doesn't crash then be stuck with shitty windows movie maker that literally crashes every 5 minutes.
    I had Microsoft Office for mac (home and student edition) pre-installed when I ordered my macbook so I can easily send essays/group work to my peers in college.
    The Dock is much more efficient to use than the Windows start menu and taskbar -- the icon opens an app or returns to it if it's already open. It doesn't become crowded when you have lots of windows open.

I'm not saying macs don't have problems, but on the whole my macbook suits my needs better :)[/quote]

You don't use final cut pro? Jw because I like that more then imovie.

16. isn't final cut like 400 buks?

17. I just prefer imovie, easier and faster to use and because most of my peers in college use imovie, its easier to run the same program :)

18. Mac OSX is in fact simpler to use than Windows. Hands down. Neither are hard to utilize, but Apple's philosophy is that computers need to be simple again. I also find that most Windows users that make the switch would agree that OSX is indeed intuitive.

The whole idea of an "Apple tax" is un-educated and ignorant.

19. It's arguable that Apple is the future. Apple focuses on making things simple and easy. They also are the leader in mobile technology development. You wouldn't have Android or "smartphones" the way they are today without Apple. So in the mobile industry we can thank them.

Apple also is leading the way with a full fledge mobile-desktop OS all in one. The release of Lion has a vast amount of iOS integration which closes the gap between mobile platforms and non-mobile platforms. As you have probably seen in the press lately, Microsoft is trying to do similar things with Windows 8. Apple has set the stage to shape yet another platform. We can thank them for that.

Most major companies run Windows servers with the exception of a small portion of the industry that utilizes Linux/Unix configurations. In a networking aspect OSX isn't the best, but they do offer IT solutions for those who want to go that way.

As for reliability, generally, Apple products do indeed last longer because the amount of engineering Apple has when it comes to case design, usability, etc. Statistically Apple computers have a lower cost of ownership.However, computer hardware is still computer hardware.

Gaming is a different story. Slowly game designers are moving towards OpenGL which will increase the amount of games on OSX. Steam and many publishers have already done this. This is the only REAL downside to owning a Mac..... not a big deal for many.... for some it's the world. I understand that.

In consensus I'm just trying to squash the stereotypes that people have on Macs.

-JTMX29

20. Yeah I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Macbook Pro 11'. Seems like a good buy, and I will be able to afford it so yeah thanks for the imputs.

Also, do you guys think that the price of the iPhone4 will drop once the iPhone5 comes out. Here in the US, the price for the iPhone4 in Sam's Club cost $149 w/ 2 year contract. I'm thinking it will at least $99.. If so that would be nice