Nicotine spray and soil drench for fungus gnats?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by poppybgood, Oct 8, 2011.

1. I haven't read anything as of yet here at GC about using a homeade nicotine spray and soil drench to combat fungus gnats and root aphids. Have any of you indoor guys ever tried this? I grew out some Rustica tobacco once solely for the sake of insecticide to use on my outdoor garden. I did use it once, but after I saw it killing bees, not to mention it made me a bit queezy I never used it again. I was thinking this winter I may try a tobacco tea if my indoor grow becomes infested with gnats. What think ye?

2. Yea, I have root aphids, and possibly a few of something else, because I have like 2 gnats that dont seem to leave my room.

I treated my soil (that is still in the bag) with some mosquito dunks, ground up, and made into a strong concentrate. And that took out most of the population. But I still see a few in there so tonight I am using the H2O2 to try and kill off most of the rest before I use this soil.

I figure that, and maybe one or two more doses of H2O2 throughout my grow will allow me to harvest.

As far as tobacco spray, I have some chew laying around that I was gonna use, but there are probably so many bad additives and shit in it, I am not even gonna risk it. If you got some nice tobacco though, I would definitely try it out.

Also, anyone know how you get that tobacco virus? Can you get it from treatments like tobacco teas? Or can the surviving bugs get the virus from it?

3. Not sure about that RB. I was thinking of getting some pouch cigarette tobacco. Supposedly it has no additives. Also they sell the American Spirit brand of rolled cigarettes that's supposed to be straight organic tobacco. It was just a thought I had while researching ways to combat these insidious bastards. I was doing some investigating in my starter cups last night and discovered something( thinking it's gnat larvae) When I disturbed the surface of the soil I noticed movement but I couldn't zero in on it. It is definitely something alive so it's time for WAR!!! It wasn't a lot, so I'm hoping to get them under control before major problems occur.

4. be careful. DONT use ANY tobacco products in homemade remidies with chew/cigarettes/ect. the tobacco plantations dont care if the tobacco plants have any diseases (including tmv). even though it is very very rare, smoking a cigarrete of TMV infected tobacco and than touching your plants without washing your hands can spread the TMV virus. hands should always be washed thoroughly after using tobacco products when you are dealing with plants.

so if you were to do somthing like this, it would be best to grow your own tobacco.

5. Just a layer of sand on top of your dirt is good you know.