Holes in leaves.. see pictures

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by greenops, Sep 22, 2011.

1. I got this Amnesia Lemon vegging for 17 days now.
    Last night was the first time I notices a couple small holes on 2 leaves, of the 3rd node.
    Today there are more holes on those leaves, and a small one on the 4th node.
    I dont see any spots on them... so can spider mites be ruled out?

I inspected the leaves with my pocket scope and didnt find any insects.
    The other ALs growing right next to it don't have any holes.

Anyone familiar with this?

Attached Files:

2. Somethings munchin' on your ladies. Put a small bowl of soap water in your grow room and see what you catch overnight. Just keep a close eye make sure the problem doesn't get out of control.

My guess is gnats. I have a few in my grow room, but keep the population under control with soap water and if it gets even remotely bad I bring out the Azamax and they are good as gone.

Let us know if you catch anything in your water bowl.

Other than the holes she looks healthy good work.

3. thanks for the reply. gnats? holy shit, those are some mean fucks, from what i understand they are in the soil and feed off the roots! and yea i remember when i started this grow i notices a weird fly in the cab that had a more bug like look... but i never saw that bastard again.

damn i hope i dont have gnats!!!

4. If they are gnats you will see them in the soap water for sure. Put a piece of yellow paper or something bright yellow under the bowl (if it is a clear bowl) and they will surely fly in as they are attracted to yellow.

5. ive used sugar water to try and catch gnats with only 2 gnats caught out of the 4 cups i used over a week period. ive tried vinegar to catch gnats with no success. i have tried soap water with no success. i have also put a plate out of straight "soap foam" with no success. the only way ive actually caught gnats before is with my own hands or with sticky paper. i kill them with gnatrol. i never used yellow cups, plates, or bowls to catch them, but simply using soap wont work. believe me, ive done it. my house is 100 years old. idk if the gnats in my house are smarter than others or what, but ive never had success with those methods. i think they're all wives tales. ever hear the saying "you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar?"

gnats dont do that. ive seen thrip damage where large, brown dead spots appear but thats not gnats. i dont believe you have a thrip problem either.

i think your problem is your pH is outta whack. run only water through it at 6.5 pH and test the runoff pH. the runoff pH wont be exactly what the pH of your medium is, but if it is lower than 6.5 it will give you an idea if your medium is more acidic or alkaline depending on if the pH is higher or lower.

6. This is the answer.

Great post OSUB.
    Maybe the machine will let me rep ya again lol.

Freak
    :smoke:

7. Never knew bad PH could cause holes in leafs, learning all the time.

8. i really hope its just a ph problem! i been watering between 6.3 - 6.7ph. funny thing is, why my other plants dont show the same symptoms. but thanks guys, will let ya know how it will turn out! and btw, i didnt catch anything in that bowl.

9. OK I caught something. I cant tell the difference between mosquitos and gnats.. so what is this?

Regarding the pH, I checked the run off pH of the other unaffected plants. Watered with some Canna Rhizotonic, 6.5 pH, came out at 5.7 pH. Is this bad? I wasnt able to measure the one with the holes cause it just got watered yesterday.

Attached Files:

10. Nooooooo!!!! Will they really fuck up a grow? I mean I'm just at day 20... I could abort and restart... should i try to fight them?

11. I use Azamax and just foliar spray my ladies. Takes care of all of them in one treatment usually. If not I spray them again in 4-7 days. The girls absorb the Azamax into their existing foliage and when any bugs munch on them it causes them to starve to death.

Use a light solution the first time to see how your girls react. You need to take care of them before you go into flowering because I wouldn't want to be spraying my buds with Azamax even though it is all natural and breaks down in ~120 days. It is just a bitch to deal with in flowering so take care of it as soon as possible.

The bugs got in your grow room some how, either naturaly, came from the soil or you brought them in on your clothes so aborting wouldn't do much besides defer the problem because it could show up again in your next attempt. Better to learn how to get rid of them.

12. I'm with OSUB and freak on this, that looks like the pH is too acidic. I just had the same problem and had to recalibrate my pH meter. I don't know how to handle fixing that in soil, though - sorry.

13. Put up some blue and yellow
    pest stickies also, for the adults.

(takes foot out of mouth lol :eek:).

Freak

14. #15 greenops, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
    Do these gnats multiply at a fast rate? I havent catched another one yet. Is it possible that was the only one, or do I have a colony living in the soil already feeding on the roots?

I dont want to open another thread for this one:
    Also, the upper leaves just curled down yesterday. That was one day after transplanting to a 2 gallon pot. PH problem still a possibility? Or is it because of the ferts in the new soil (plagron grow mix)?

\t

"Plagron Grow-mix is a mix of the finest, carefully selected types of peat. It contains various types of fibre which results in a lightness and oxygen level you have come to expect only of Plagron quality potting soil. The abundant presence of unique Plagron worm compost ensures vigorous plant growth and increased water retention.

The nutrients that have been added to the Plagron Grow-mix consist of a carefully selected combination of fertilizers which meet all the needs of the plant during the first three weeks. Plagron Grow-mix is the perfect base for optimum growth and blooming and delivers the quality Plagron has been supplying for years. Also available with perlite.

pH: 5,8 and 6,2.
    EC: 1.4 and 1.6."

Attached Files:

15. thanks man, you seem to know lot about these fungus gnats. plus rep! will be looking for Azamax, dont know if we have it here in switzerland.

16. You will be able to tell that the population is multiplying. They won't explode overnight. You will notice a lot more flying around your grow room or walking across the top of the soil. Gnats have about a 10 day life cycle. Wait for a week see if you can notice a significant increase in their numbers around your grow room. If not it could be possible that you only had a few and killed them already. Good luck.

17. Thank you sir! OK it looks like I can get it under control. I see some of these fungus gnats in other rooms and i mistook em for normal mosquitos. I'm killing them all, also placed some yellow strips around the plants. I hope they all disappear once the winter comes.

18. yeah those bastards look so much like mosquitos its unreal..

dude im pretty pH doesnt frickin cause holes like THAT in your leaves..
    something had a mother fuggin FEAST on yo shit...
    azamax is the WAY TO GO too bad i gotta get some neem because hydro store aint open today.. just when my pest problem happens its sunday... gr8 hope neem doesnt fuck up flowers!!

19. Yes, Neem will fuck up budz/flowers,
    so dont spray it on them.

Freak