What should I do with these stretching plants

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DigitalQuixote, Sep 17, 2011.

1. I'm about eight weeks into flowering with my tangerine dream. Over what seems like the last two days at most, although I am just only recently noticed this today, but my plants which to this point have been pretty thick and dense had all of their colas stretch about an inch and are now left with really thin tips at. the end of each.

I have two questions:

the first question I have is what could have caused this? I can say that over the last two days these plants have flushed and received only water which was done to combat some nute burn. I have to assume that it's this flushing that caused this sporadic growth.

the second question I have is what to do about it? Right now I am about three weeks from harvests and I don't see these tips filling out. I was wondering if it would be wrong of me to top these spindly growth tips with the (hopefully) results of forcing the remaining growth energy that would've been spent on these tips back down into the thick part of the cola.

Any thoughts on either these would be greatly appreciated. I've included a couple pictures to show the growth I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide

Attached Files:

2. Hm.. thats a good question!

My guess would be a combination of tangerine dream's genetics and lots of light from an HID. I have had Afghan Mango and Lemon G (Love Potion x G13) do the same thing. i figured its what some sativas do. you can never say an explosion of growth is a bad thing, ya know? sorry i dont have a specific answer, but thats my reasoning behind it.

3. Hey OSU,

As far as lighting goes I'm actually using T5s. I hear you about explosions of growth not being a bad thing but like I said these plants it really started slowing down and were to the point of just filling out when out of nowhere this growth came up. I really don't think these tips are going to fill out in time for harvests.

You said that you had a mango and a lemon G. that do something similar. Do you find that they end up filling out this extra growth?

4. Thats interesting about the T5s. are they pretty close to the top?

no they dont. when it dries it kind of curls a bit too. but everybody i presented those buds too enjoyed the unique "Dr. Suess" characteristics!

5. I'd "supercrop" by bending the main stem 90degrees...pinch it then bend it. The plant will bush up more below the bend point and the top cola will still grow fine sideways...fixes the stretch and saves the cola from light burn(if you can with t5?)...the plant can take daily supercropping if needed, just keep the cola sideways.

I do this commonly with much much bigger colas as I veg longer than most....

6. Hey coco,

I will definitely give your method a try on at least one of my plants. I've included a couple more pictures so you can see exactly what I'm working with as far as grow space and what my plants look like.

I all ready have the plants bent over like a hockey stick. And you are correct with the T5s are really don't have to worry about the burning of the tops. Really I was more concerned with just how bare they are and that they won't be able to fill out. My logic being if they can fill out then why have the plant waste any energy on something that won't be able to fill out.

I really just can't get over the stretch in this tangerine dream in the first place. These were put in to 12/12 when they were about 2 inches tall tops. They are now pushing 2 feet. I thought when I initially had put them down on their sides that that would help with the stretch because the buds coming off the main stem would then themselves turn into mini colas.

I was wondering if you might have a picture of the "super cropping" you described as I would like to get a visual idea of how it works. If not I think I have a pretty good idea. Thanks again for your comments and help.

Dequeued

Attached Files:

7. hey Digital,

Haha i am laughing cuz i myself have 4, 7-8th week of flowering tangerine dreams and they have been a PAIN in the ass. First and foremost i have mine in 5 gallon buckets and they are EXTREEMLY tall.. one is about 6 feet and i am not bull shitting... 2nd i want you to know that i only started noticing FATTY buds in the FINAL 3 weeks... yeah i saw some growth but not what i am noticing now... A thing you could try is giving it 1-2 tbls of natural molasses... i tried this on these plants and they have HUGE colas... I saw a supercropping idea posted in regard to the height of the plants and this is what i am doing with the clones... just be careful cuz you dont want to damage the plant... As for the 4 that we didnt super crop, we took at 5ft x 5ft net and set it tight across the room, after we slowly put the plants under the net bending their branches out. This seemed to solve the problem until another month went by and they had grown up PAST the net and again too close to the light... good luck with the plants man and dont cut ANYTHIGN off unless you are lollipoppin the plant and in which case its part of yer plan... if its ready to come off it would litterally just fall off when you lightly pulled down on the leaf... but if you get past all yer problems and you are just patient, they are SOME NICE BUDS (cannibis cup winner 2010)

Good luck man and happy growing!

8. #8 cocowheats, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
    Be ready to support those colas if they are heavy if you do what I said...I usually run string from my hood to them.....that's if I have to, I do this earlier on so they are pretty used to it.

What it does is make the plant think the top isn't the top anymore so you'll get more colas of better proportion....that's my short half ass way of explaining....look up super cropping on here....

And believe me, at times you'll think they can't take what you did...well they can and do.

Pinch stem and push over finger.