yellowing lower leaves/ purple stem/ brown spots

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by weed4us, Aug 18, 2011.

1. i have never had an issue with my plant until a couple days ago. i noticed a red color start to creep on the plant around a week ago. i thought it was natural for the strain but now its covering around 1/3 of the plant and creeping on the veins on the underside of the leaves. the bottom leaves are turning a golden color and drooping down. the yellowing is creeping upwards. so what i did is i thought maybe i over fertilized so i washed out the dirt. i started to read online that i wasnt giving it enough and it is having "nute block". how do i reverse this? this is my first plant and it was beautiful until now.

i just increased the wattage on the closet light to the plant from 12 watts to 26 watts. the leaves were curling so i moved the light bulb away and that seemed to fix it. then the yellowing and brown spots started to appear.

i added multi purpose miracle grow to it after the water. I don't have proper air movement inside but air is moving the leaves slightly. like i said haven't had a problem until a week ago. all questions/concerns are appreciated

pictures are vague but you get the idea

Attached Files:

2. I dont see any red in the pictures, may just be the quality of.pic though. To me, looks like your plant is nice and healthy! Although I would suggest more lighting, assuming you are using Spiral CFLs. Typically 100w actual for one plant (4 26w for example would be good.

Try and get a small fan, you can get one for $10 at walmart for good airflow. Also I would suggest either repotting it or covering the plastic to a point where no light can get in the sides, could cause root dmage which may be what you are experiencing.

How close are your lights? Mine are about 3-4" away from the plant, and mine are 2x 26w over each plant ( I have 4 26 total).

3. i have a 14 watt on the top and a 26 watt about 3 inches away. i could see the roots on the side of the container, they are bright white and look very healthy

4. If you can see the roots, then the light can get to them. This wont be good in the long run. I would suggest repotting to something opaque, dollar stores usually have decent pots, just have to drill drainage holes in them.

Keep in mind now, I am new to this aswell and jus trying to help but from what I learned this past couple of months is light on roots is no good

5. the middle picture is the best to show the purple stem.

6. i have also heard light isnt good for roots. completely forgot about that. ill cover it up asap :)

7. Has the stem always been that purple? (it looks like its just starting to lose its purple colour) I know from my seedlings that young plants typically have purple stems. Mine just turned 2 weeks and the purple is still there :-D

8. i heard purpling of the stem is when it blocks nutrients. Mine wasnt always purple so thats why i am concerned

9. I had purple stem. Some plants naturally get it though so you don't want to go overboard.
    Rather than a deficiency it is most likely a PH problem.
    Plants don't need nutrients until like 3 weeks. You plant it locking out nutrients, they are there but it can't absorb some (but others). I am assuming your PH is too low so the plant is locking out phosphorous. When my plant did this it was worse, purple stem, purple leaves, intense drooping. I watered with PH corrected water and added 1/4 strength nutrients.

2 days later they were healthy n kickin. The purple stem will never go away once there.