i know there's a million threads on spider mites but PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by thelaffingman, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Hey guys, my latest clones i got had spider mites, i combatted them as long as i could in veg with a habanero/garlic/azamax solution, safer end all, and no pest strips. when i was forced due to height issues to flip to flower i started using a product I got at the San Francisco Cannabis cup that kills all stages of the mite minus the egg. I'm now in 6th week of flower and have 3 more to go at least...is there anything i can do? i feel like i don't really do much damage to their population...just keep it under control. i've never found webs on top of the leaves or on the buds. i just need something that will help as it feels like i've tried everything...

2. one word dude LADYBUGS go by a bag drop them on your plant and they will eat every spider mite on there and not hurt your plants at all thats the best way especially during flowering.

3. #3 herban, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    U can buy a bag of ladybugs? That's pretty awesome. Where do u buy them? I need some spiders too.

4. sum hydro stores sell them as well as nurseries and even sum hardware stores i hear that ace hardware u can oder like 1500 for 20$ online also probably pet stores to also u can get them off the internet like ebay live ladybugs | eBay

5. im having a spider mite problem and im currently using "mighty wash"... i sprayed them 2 times 3 days apart and the mites came back 3 days later.

next im going to try spraying them with apple juice. safe for the buds and heard it works pretty well. sticks all the little guys to the leaves and kills them. then ill just spray water to rinse it off in a day or so.

anyone else use this method with success?

6. Im no grow expert, heck so far my only major hurdle have been spidermites.

Those dayum mites takeover quick. My niece asked me to take care of her flowering clone and put it in my greenhouse. I wasnt there when she did and when I finally inspected her plant the next day, I discovered it was SERIOUSLY infested with mites. Even though I took it out ASAP and it was only with my girls for 24 hours, I found mites on them about 3 days later (thats how long it takes for eggs to hatch). I was pissed. So I read away here at GC. Im only mentioning this part to show how quickly those suckers can take over your grow. Im on mite watch now 24/7.

Here is what I did.

I tried neem and misted the leaves and it kinda worked. In a few days I had them again. I know Im going to get flamed for this but after reading almost every post about spidermites I decided to try the extreme. I hung a HOT SHOT pest strip in my greenhouse and then used a strong mix of neem and sprayed all around the base of the pots, the floor, on the greenhouse walls/cracks and even sprayed some on the soil (not a lot, more like misted the soil). I soaked everything (except the leaves). Since I was just getting infested, I clipped some of the fan leaves that had eggs. Its weird how they infest from the bottom up. Till this day (3 weeks later), I have not seen ANY mites or eggs.

All my leaves look healthy. I plan on taking down the strip in a week or so. I read if you save the strip in a ziplock, that you can reuse it again if you get more pests. I might leave it up. I dont know yet.

Sorry for the long post, but I always hate one word replies. Good luck.

7. Get yourself a can of Doktor Doom Fogger (red can).

It should wipe them all out in 1 shot.
    It will also clean the space too.

Organic pyrethrum.

Its all good and safe - right up to 2 weeks before chop time.

Good luck.

Freak
    :smoke:

8. hey freak what about the green can called "spider mite knock out" lol

9. Tbh - I have never used that product by Doktor Doom.

I know the red is fantastic tho.

With a product name like that tho, Im sure its a win, win !!!

The product u are talkin about is a spray rather than a fog, correct ???

In the spirit of experimentation, why not give it a shot lol.
    Id be very interested to see how it works for ya :).

Freak

10. All it takes is one survivor to start the whole cycle all over. I just found some baby mites on a leaf, 2 weeks and not one sign of them till this morning.

Time to break out the neem mister. Next time im at my local hydro store (40 minutes away), I will pick up a can of Doktor Doom.

11. Neem is not sufficient to rid SMs, unless it is only
    a tiny infestation.

Freak

12. Its tiny. I only found them on 1 plant and on 2 leaves.....so far. I plucked them since it wasnt too many leaves. Never the less, Im going to neem all the leaves and then mix a stronger dose to spray around the greenhouse walls and floors. If I was infested badly, I would be on my way to my hydro store QUICK! Doktor Doom time.

13. What Im tryin to really say is that Neem does not
    have the knock-down power for the eggs.

That is why they reappeared !!!

Pyrethrin is the answer.
    It will also clean the space.

SMs have an insidious way of hiding - not just on plants !!!

Freak

14. I will try anything to get rid of them suckers.

Pyrethrin is on my shopping list.

Thanks!

15. Thanx for takin my recommendation man.

Your plants well-being is in my heart :).

Freak

16. Liquid lady bug works great as well

17. I found some mites on 2 extra clones I had in my room I went ahead and got rid of the clones and went to my grow shop, they gave me a bottle of liquid lady bug and told me to try it out, if that don't work it's dr doom time, I'll keep everyone posted on the liquid lady bug.

18. I've used it with good results make sure you spray every 3 days for 2 weeks to make sure all them bastards are gone!