Caution when useing "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips"

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by stoned_bunny, Jul 23, 2010.

1. {I did not write this i simply found it while doing research and wanted to share it!}

Growers should use caution when dealing with NPS because of its toxicity to humans and animals. You shouldn't use "No-Pest Strips" and other products containing Dichlorvos on flowering plants because of its chance of leaving residual amounts of the active ingredient on your plants. Dichlorvos (The active chemical in No-Pest Strips) is considered a carcinogen and if used with your plants, it should only be used in the vegetation cycle and plants rinsed with water before flowering so you dont have a chance of leaving chemical residue on your harvest if possible. The active chemical (Dichlorvos) can be rinsed off and breaks-down in water but is also a dangerous insecticide and should NOT be used in living areas where people have a chance to inhale the chemical. (People growing in their homes with children, pets etc.)

There needs to be a sticky thread about this because I seem to see plenty of people on the internet using these things improperly.

Info about Dichlorvos:

ATSDR - ToxFAQs™: Dichlorvos

http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Fact...dichlorvos.cfm

http://safe2use.com/poisons-pesticid...dichlorvos.htm

*****This is NOT a thread to discuss the effects of Dichlorvos. It is simply a thread to give caution to those using NPS.

Im not telling you NOT to use them... I have used them myself and still do. They are a very fast, easy, and efficient solution to get rid of spidermites. I am asking you to be cautious because it is a dangerous chemical like most chemical pesticides. The only reason I am posting this is because I have been reading how people are using these things lately. (using them in closet grows where people sleep etc.) I actually noticed this a couple years ago, but even more now.

When used, they shouldn't be used in rooms where people and animals will be, and make sure too use no and/or low ventilation for no more than 7 days... Then plants rinsed off with water to break down the active chemical if there is any possiblity of leaving a residue. The NPS makes your grow room a little gaschamber for the mites and will kill them dead.

2. Thanks mate. I was looking for some then found out the UK stop doing them for those reasons.

Il just buy a sulphur candle.

3. Excellent post, more people need to learn how to use these things properly. They should be used only in the veg cycle, and seal them up with your plants, don't let it vent into an area where people and animals are going to be living. It is not dangerous to breathe just a little of it, even on the package it says "no more than 4 hours a day in the room they are in". So just don't have it with you in your bedroom or something like that. It needs to be sealed with very low to no ventilation so the 'gas chaimber effect' can be achieved.

The sulphur candle though, that thing sounds like something I wouldn't want to use, especially not if there's buds present. Sulfur nugs, nasty! :p

4. yes sulphur candles sound way worse then spider mites! lol

5. Even though it is simply logical, not to use any chemical pesticides around your plants, your family, yourself, and your pets for variously good reasons. People still need to check this out.
    Solid post.

6. It’s does not leave residue it’s a vapor and has a 13 hour half life which after 13 hours it becomes inert. Also is water is applied it drops the half life down to 2 hours. Dunk ur bugs if ur worries.

7. I won't use pest strips EVER! :hide: Poisons should not be used on cannabis!

CDC Warning on Misuse of Pest Strips (Easier reading and more entertaining than the CDC article below. )
    CDC Warning on Misuse of Pest Strips

Notes from the Field: Acute Illness Associated with Use of Pest Strips — Seven U.S. States and Canada, 2000–2013
    Notes from the Field: Acute Illness Associated with Use of Pest Strips — Seven U.S. States and Canada, 2000–2013

FYI- Our lungs are remarkably efficient at absorbing stuff. (As you are sitting there, reading, note how little air you just took in. Your lungs can extract enough oxygen from that small inhalation to keep your body alive!)

There are plenty of safe, organic ways to kill pests!

How to Use Dr. Bronners As Insecticidal Soap (news - 2014)
    How to Use Dr. Bronners As Insecticidal Soap | Hunker

Pesticides based on plant essential oils: from traditional practice to commercialization (abst - 2006)
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1572557X06030029

Using Essential Oils in Your Home & Garden to Kill Pests + DIY Bugs-B-Gone Home & Garden Spray (news - 2016)
    Using Essential Oils in Your Home & Garden to Kill Pests + DIY Bugs-B-Gone Home & Garden Spray - The Hippy Homemaker

Granny :wave: (Biology major the first time around in college)