Week 4 of flower top leaf damage. Never seen before please help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by playboy420, Jun 23, 2010.

1. #1 playboy420, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
    Hello all~

In Canna coco week 4 of flower and 2 out of 3 plants are showing these yellow areas that deform and turn brown. They leave craters or hills in the leaves. Anyone seen this in coco?

I thought I remembered seeing someone somewhere say that week 4 is the bad week in coco??

I then thought it might ph, I cant tell. Been following Canna's online feed chart never over 900 ppms Hanna ph has been 6.1 to 5.6 handwater.

And it also seems like thrips or leafminers but I dont see any trail, i do think I see silver spots on the leaves but I have never seen a thrip anywhere in a long time used to have them.

Any comments would be great, thinking about doing a neem application as its never been done in flower I think I still have time for a neem app..

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. post a pic so we can see it

3. Yes please post a pic or two. I've never heard of a bad week in coco ;)

4. #4 playboy420, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
    Pictures were removed when the tread was moved I apologize. Pics are up in first post!!

5. not sure but did you think it maybe from the ph moving up and down;)

6. hi inkman i am not sure if it is a ph thing but I noticed that some of the leaves on the affected plants are getting kinks in them which to me is a sign of a ph issue.

I one plant that does not have this problem has also seen the ph fluctuations so that could rule it out..

7. Hmmm... kinda looks like some early nute burn, have you flushed at all? I would suspect ph swings if this were soil or hydro, but coco is pretty damn forgiving with ph so I'm not putting that at the top of my suspect list quite yet.

Can you post a pic of the entire plant? Maybe some other signs will help rule out or determine what's going on. Specifically looking for signs of toxicity to help confirm a sour medium.

8. Sure will get pics before hps come on tonight..

I was worried so I flushed 3 gallons of phed water through the pot (5 gal pot) then the 4th gallon had 600ppm of Canna nutes plus a little Maxicrop.

I flushed the two that looked bad one is perfect..now that I think about it I have seen some signs of nute burn.

I will get those pics up soon thank Ed!

9. Good move - how long ago was the flush in relation to when the pictures were taken?

10. pictures taken 2 hours after flush which was last night. I will get pics up when I get home from work of the entire plant but I am warning you its kinda like a jungle above the screen

I have only gone over 900ppms once and saw burn so I went back down to 850..I love coco so far btw it rocks!

Thanks Ed

11. Ah, very good. It may take 3-6 days before you see any improvement or slowing. IF you have a TDS meter, use some RO and check the runoff, if it's over over 600ppm, I'd flush some more.

I think you're OK, some time is needed now and you should be good.

I love coco too bud, it blows away everything else I've tried LOL

12. I do have a ppm meter, and an RO machine but I prefer to check the ph/tds of the coco the Canna method which takes like 45 mins and makes a mess but I will do what you say as well as the Canna method and get back to yall.

man Im going to be busy tonight again!

The best thing about coco...anyone...anyone..NO BUBBLES NO WATER SOUNDS NO 20 GALLON WEEKLY CHANGES OF DWC BUCKETS COCO COCO CO CO COCO COCO CO CO:D

13. Here ya go Ed (and everyone else) more pics, tried to get the bad spots, just before and right after the hps turned on. thanks for looking, can you or anyone confirm nute burn?

Thanks again

Attached Files:

14. More pics of a really bad leaf, this is from the top of the plant..

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      151.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      138.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      122.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      160.2 KB
      Views:
  15. I've had that same thing happen to me a few times before. I grow in Ocean Forest soil, and when it has happened, it has usually just been one leaf that gets it, and it doesn't seem to affect the rest of the plant.

I'm interested to know what causes this as well.

16. ha ya I saw that...I hope it is not tmv and I do not want to buy the 100$ testers.

These seeds sat in my fridge for 1+year before germination, they have had problems from day one with wieird leaves and multitude of bug/gentic probelms.

Now they are looking like they are going to turn hermie I saw little sack on the tops of the buds, i will post pics when I get home tonight.

IDK what to think/do anymore I just want to finish these out and start fresh after some major starilization

17. Hey PB! Man I'm not sure what that is if it's still progressing, maybe a fungus or something? I'm not too experienced with them so maybe some fungi/disease vets can assess.

You know, people laughed when I said one big advantage of coco is it's stealth! At the time we had a stealth grow and I had to hold off on a bubble bucket. BB is still on hold haha!

Good luck man!

18. im going to say one of 2 things, possibly leaf miners

or imo tmv or some other mosaic virus, they can show different symptoms, such as leaf deformities, mottling...ect, the virus can transfer from plant to plant, from un-sterilized soil, or from walls and grow room equipment.

19. this is from SAM_SKUNKMAN: