Purple stems...???

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by wc1231, Mar 5, 2010.

1. #1 wc1231, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
    I recently received some clones and a couple days after they were in the hydro set up, i noticed that my stems are skinny hard and purple (idk if the somehow i turned the stems purple or if i received the clones with the stems already purple and hard...)...all 4 clones are a sativa strand and my biggest plant is no more than 7inches tall. i was just wondering if the hard purple stems can stunt or slow the growth? is having purple stems a problem? should i be worried and what should i do to reverse or correct this deficiency if it is so a problem...

thanks!

2. Someone else should also chime in on this subject, as I am no stem expert, but I'll pass on what I've learned from my purple stem experience.

Purple stems often are the result of stress to the plant, usually caused by a nutrient deficiency. To my knowledge, many people first suspect phosphorus, but I'd post some pics on this site and see what people think about them. I got some GDP's from a friend with purple stems, but they went away after a week or so of receiving HID light and an adequate supply of nutes at the correct ph.

In some rare cases, plants are purple due to genetics, but I'd double check your environment and post some pics so the real experts can diagnose your problem.

3. This is not true tons of strains have purple stems...

Purple stems are usually A) Strain B) Low temps

I wouldnt worry about it, all my clones get purple stems at first.

4. your plants are over fertilized, to much of a good thing. they may not come out of shock sorry to hear the sad news. yes, some plants are genetic and purple but if your strain is not a purple strain i would flush your plants with the purest water you can get for several days and give it all the love you can.

5. #5 the imitator, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
    NOT, dont worry, there is nothing wrong with your stems turning purple.

I have a super silver haze (sativa) in 3rd week of veg with purple stripes goin throughout it like a zebra.

like david said, genetics will cause purple. cold weather does cause purpling but its not nessicarily the air, its the root system, if the root zone was cooled to 48-47 degrees it would make potassium HARD for the plant to take up as a food, thus the production of chorophyll falls (what makes your leaves green)

just sit tight, in the past ive seen purpling totally disappear after i switch to 12/12 :p