Help please, don't know what's happening

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Growbrothers, Nov 24, 2009.

1. I am hoping that somebody can help me with the my plants. I have been growing four plants under 600 watt hps. They are almost two months old but I have been having major issues. I think my plants are having major nute deficiencies so when I add nutes at 1/4 strength the plants look worse and I think it may be a burn problem.

I am having a major issue getting the ph of my water to 6.5 after adding the nutes and I think that may be the problem. If anybody can offer help with watering or nutes I would really appreciate it. I will add pictures if I get a chance. Just looking for general information right now.

2. ur under feeding, what kinda soil did u use, a good soil will have food for 2-3 months then u have to feed, cannabis is a verry hungry plant, i feedaround 2.4 ec or 1200ppm... link below for info on EC
    http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced...tds-ppm-crucial-when-feeding.html#post5970858

i like to do 3-4 heavey feeding (when in soil) and do a little flush and build it back up.
    but every one has there own feeding schedules
    give it more food take it up to a full feeding and if ur still getting difiencies then up the feeding, also supliment cal-mag they love magnesium

3. Thanks. I just watered them with pure water so I think in a couple days I will give them a full feeding. They are being grown in Fox Farm Ocean Forest and my Veg nutrients are Earth Juice "Grow".

4. ok never use pre fert soil very bad and u should start at 1/4 recommended ferts and move on up to full strength but no ferts first 2 to 3 weeks and the best water to use is distilled (ph of 7) add a teaspoon of lime juice tomake it 6.3 -6.5 but pics would help to be sure whats wrong

5. OK so I finally took some pictures this morning. I watered each clone with a full strength nutrient mix this morning when I took these pics and checking on them in the evening there is no improvement in the look of the plants.

I am most concerned with the curling leaves and the yellowing. There are a lot of dead leaves on the plant and it most defiantly doesn't look healthy.

Thanks for any help!!

Attached Files:

6. Are you measuring the PH after you add nutes to the water. THe nutes will lower the PH of the water DRAMATICALLY.

7. ok thats a toxic salt build up! flush with 1/2 stregnth nutrient soluting (that ur using)
    and see give it a few days if any new signs of deficient show up rais the food a little bit

8. Thanks Burnz and janemba.

I took your suggestion on watered the plants with 1 gallon each, 3/4 strength nutrient solution hopping to flush some of the salt buildup. I also didn't lower the ph of the water first like I had been doing because I think that may have been a big problem.

9. this happened to me awhile ago try a teaspoon of epson salt in gallon of water after you flush

10. reeper is right... u can add it to the flush as long as ur watering with lower food that caused the build up it will flush and "replace" the nutrient build up

11. So I think the flush and new feeding mix is working out well. The new growth on my plants is looking better but I still think there is some problems. The tips of some of the leaves are burnt and there is some purpling on the leaves. I think this may be a phosphorus deficiency but I'm afraid to make any big changes to the mix now that the plants are looking better.

I am thinking of watering one more time with a full strength mix when my plants get thirsty and see how they react or do you think I should fix the potential phosphorus problem right away?

I think I still may be able to turn these plants around but I'm just trying to get a better yield then I did last time.

12. MrBurnz,

How do you recommend I test the PH of the water after I add the nutrients? I have a testing vial where you add the drops of testing solution and match up the color. This is very hard to use after I add the nutrients and the water is brown. Also, is it of to add acids and bases after I add the nutrients in order to get the ph to 6.5?

13. #13 Postal Blowfish, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009

Oh boy, I think we found your problem right here. I dunno what you use, but when I first mixed a gallon with 1/4 strength nutes, it lowered the solution to something like 3, I was shocked when I measured it (and glad I did so before using it). It took a considerable helping of ph up to take it back to around 6.3, and then used it in FFOF, which was probably already around that PH. Plants didn't like that too much, but I flushed em so quick the damage is barely noticable (I also transplanted them into clean soil before I did the flush, because it was about that time).

Anyway, that's my first noob mistake right there (I really should not even have tried to feed em), and I even had the PH meter. You need one of these STAT. I think the one I got cost me about 50 bucks, and you'll need calibration solutions (PH 7 and 4 or 10) as well and that'll prob run you another 20. You'll thank yourself. In the meantime, use the testing equipment you have and match as close as you can to 7, as your soil is probably very low. Test your runoff first so you know how bad the situation is.