PLEASE HELP my plants have worms!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by malorumdeus, Jun 30, 2004.

1. i am growing in rockwool cubes and today when i was checking my ph i noticed a little white worm on the base of my stalk.
    the worm has a black dot on the head adn seems to like the bottom i assume since there where none on the rest of the plant.
    i cant find anything about worms in the forums and i am lost as to what to do...

2. Chances are it's some type of larvae, of what insect I don't know, though. Make sure it's not aphids, because those are some nasty fuckers. I'm not very well read up on insect infestations, but little white worms with black dots are usually larvae.

~Lycanthropy

3. got the same issue and looking for the remedy.

4. Pick them off with your fingers and squish them..

5. they are deep in the rock wool. ide have to break it apart and dig for em. dont want to do that. need a chemical to put on it

6. Did you try killing it?

7. i did but they were deep in the rockwool

8. Submerge the rockwool cubes in some H2O2 solution for a while. That shall get rid of them. Make sure you know what you're doing though :rolleyes:

9. Some kind of organic bug killer should do the trick. Go to a hydro shop or do some googling to find out whats safe to kill bugs that can make contact with your roots.

10. could be fungus gnat larvae they like moist areas if there is just a few they dont really do any damage keep an eye out for little flys they are black and small, you should be able to kill them with an organic spray

11. That was my first thought. If it is fungus gnat larvae then put some slices of raw potato on top of each cube. The larvae love it. In 4 or 5 days remove the slices and toss them. Strips of sticky fly tape can be placed over the tops of the cubes to stop the adults as well.

Organic based remedies like pyrethrins will kill them but I've often gotten rid of them without.

The suggestion of using H2O2 is a good one as well, just don't go TOO strong with it. I add it to my nutrient solution anyways for extra root oxygen, and it helps kill pathogens.