Mold on rapid rooter plugs...HELP

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by holengjuy, May 19, 2009.

1. 4 days ago I took several clones. Some were placed in rockwool cubes and others in rapid rooter plugs and placed in a humidity dome under a incandescent lamp. A method that I have done before with success.

Today I went to check on them and noticed that the 4 clones that were placed in rapid rooter plugs all had mold on the plugs. It is a white fuzzy mold that has some blue spots as well. Not much different looking that mold you would find on old food. Does anyone have any idea what would have casued this? There is nothing on the rockwool cubes.

The only thing I can think of is I sprayed a light solution of organic pesticide called Oganocide. The active ingredient is sesame oil and then there is the inactive ingredients which are edible fish oils and lecithin. Could the edible fish oils have caused this? Is there any way to stop this or do I need to trash those clones?

2. you just need some air holes in the dome for fresh air. also as soon as the clones have roots, they need to come out to avoid this also.

3. I was under the impression the dome should be sealed to keep the humidity level high. I open the dome up a few times a day to give them air and to mist the leaves. This has been my technique in the past and I have not had this issue...

4. you don't have to mist the leaves every day if you use a dome, just once before you put them in there. spray 2-3 a day w/out a dome

5. I know ppl will say other wise. But fungi that colonize on to the rapid rooter plug is probly not after your plants in anyway fortunatly for us evolution evoled so that the fungi does a specfic job. It sounds like your fungi is a composter, so i wouldnt worry. (then again i grow organic and thnk that if a plant is lost to bugs,fungi, disease its a good thing.) But in closing the white mold isnt bad dont fret. If it powder mildew (knock knock wood) thats a differnt story, but it doesnt sound that way. GL

DirtyViperMan

6. Thanks for the input.

I just kept wiping the mold off and have now taken the clones out of the rapid rooters and set them in my aero cloner.

The experiment I was doing this time was to see which strain would clone best in what medium. I did 2 strains, purple kush and white widow. 2 of each went in an aerocloner with a clonex solution, 2 of each went into rockwool, and 2 of each went into rapid rooters. After 7 days, I was able to see roots showing from a few of the rockwool cubes as. I was able to see roots start on 2 that were in the aero. I have concluded that the rockwool cubes seem to work the best, although all 3 were successful. I had 12/12 clones in 8 days...the best part is that I took these about 6 weeks into flowering!