Help me save her please!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by 海賊王, Mar 10, 2009.

1. #1 海賊王, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
    So... I was pretty sure my plant had some deficiencies in Nitrogen and Phosphorous so I bought some Fox Farm Grow Big and gave it a little fertilizer after the first month. Now my leaves are all messed up and stuff. Not sure what to do now. Some say to flush the soil. Does this just mean add a lot of water? Here are some pics. Please give me advice! Plants are under a 150W Full Spectrum CFL and a crappy who knows what spectrum 23W CFL.

Attached Files:

2. i got the same thing going on with my plants. I think my problem is a high pH but I can't get it fixed. I'll be watching to see what the experts say so, hopefully, I can fix mine.

3. I hope so. I am not sure what is up.I just don't know what is wrong or how to heal her. I thought she needed nutrients since she is over a month old and had stopped growing pretty much and I hadn't given her any nutrients at all. Now I gave her some (diluted to the bottles directions of course) and I think she is worse. :-( I hope she doesn't die though. I will keep you posted. I have heard I need to flush the soil to fix pH or something but I don't wanna just go do that and drown her or something. Ugh.

4. went through the same thing do a search on me it is all described on what you need to do...ph problem..its titled white widow foxfarm scrog it was in the sick plant section but it may be in the grow journal now or both.

5. I am not finding it exactly like you said but it looks like the verdict is that I need to be using about 1/3 the amount of Fox Farms Grow Big that the botttle suggests?? In the meantime, my plant is getting worse. The leaves are especially crispy. Is there anything I can do to just quickly make the pH return to normal? Flushing? Thank you so much for your time and help. I want to make this work sooooo bad!!

6. Well i'm not a pro but provide a little more info if you wanna save um!

What soil are you CURRENTLY using? Give all the specs on your grow.

I don't wanna see your babies die either bro.

If you want help from the pros, let um know what your doing so they can tell you what your doing wrong.

7. Post answers to all the questions in This Thread and the pros here are bound to see what the problem is.

8. #8 海賊王, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
    My grow info! Please help!

What type of medium; soil or hydro?: Soil!

What brand and type of soil?: For the plant I am having problems with, I know next to nothing about the soil. It was on a whim and I just bought some crappy potting soil from a local grocery store in a big bag. What I have the rest of my (hopefully) gals planted in is made by Aurora Innovations founded in Eugene Oregon and just says "Natural and Organic Potting Soil." It contains coco fiber, peat moss, perlite, pumice, compost mulch, worm castings, bat guano, kelp meal, fish bone meal, soybean meal, prilled rock phosphate, feather meal, greensand, leonardite, alfalfa meal, oyster shell flour and glacial rock dust.

I want to may be put my sick plant in this new good soil I got but that would be its second transplant so I was thinking it might not be a good idea. But if the pH is messed in in the other crappy soil it is already in... Hmmm....

Indoors or outdoors?: Indoors!

What strain?: I wish I new--various bag seeds.

How old are the plants?: The gal I am having trouble with was planted on 1.29.09 so she is a little over 1 month. The rest are germinated seeds I planted yesterday.

What type of lights and how many watts?: I am using CFLs. One is a 105W 5000K CFL which gives off 6200 lumens. The other I have right now is a crappy 23(?)W CFL from the grocery store.

How far from the lights?: They are about 6 inches or so away.

What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? I fed my sick gal 1/2 cup of Fox Farm Grow Big this past Friday using 1 tsp./gallon ratio. (Which I hear now is WAY too high!) I have just been fedding the seedlings regular water. Making sure the soil looks nice and moist. Any recommendations for the seedlings? Getting them the sprout faster etc? Could I give them 1/4 recommended dose of Grow Big may be?

What is the medium/runoff pH?: I don't know and I am embarassed to say I am not sure exactly what I need to test it and how. Lithmus papers?

What are the temps and humidity in the room?: Humidity is unmonitored. Temperature is usually around 70 degrees or so. It seems like my temperature fluctuates a lot. I am growing in one of these----->http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00100194 Sometimes I keep the doors open a little and have air blowing in but I haven't been consistent. Any recommendations?

What size pots?: Sick gal is in a 10 inch diamter and around 6-8 inches tall clay pot. The rest are in 6 inch plastic containers.

Any bugs? Look real close.: I am not finding any! Any specific places I should be checking more than others? It is still a tiny plant so there wasn't exactly a lot of hidden areas...

Any other pertinent info?: Not that I know of!

Attached Files:

9. Soil looks pretty wet already, but you probably need to flush the shit out of it. Its lookin pretty sad, but pot is a pretty hearty plant. A good flush and let it dry out for a while, I normally try to do 2x the volume of the container, worth of water. Ive heard some use more, this is just what i use.

I generally find when a plant has any kind of trauma like this early on it never really quite takes off like one with a great start.

10. Thanks for the advice. I have another few that are looking promising now! Do you think I should waste my limited space with her? She is my biggest one right now and I know it is female so I am not sure. I rearranged my lights and used cut hangers to start trying to low-stress train her. I trimmed off the few dead leaves. They were all crispy. I guess I will just see what happens. Can't expect magic my first time with my bumbled start. Thanks again for the advice!

11. #11 SmknVTEC, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
    My guess is your soil has fertilizer in it which burned it. Then you added more fertilizer which burnedd it worse. Definitely do a flush. A flush is if the pot is one gallon in size, give it 3 gallons of water to flush.

12. Fine. I will help.

I have not done a CFL grow in a while, but I know what's up.

First off, you want soil that has NO nutrients built into it. Any nutrients you want to give to your plant, you want to feed yourself through water. This is for many reasons. First being, those plants are muchhhh too small and too young to be recieving anything besides pure water. You do not want to feed any fertilizers to a plant until it is about a month old and a foot high, at least.

Also, your lighting appears to be wrong. The idea of full spectrum is not what you think it is. A full spectrum CFL does not cover all light spectrums. Each light fits a specific light spectrum and the idea of full spectrum means that the light covers a bit more above and below the specific spectrum. The spectrum you want to be using now is 6500k for vegatation. When you switch to flowering you will be looking for a CFL in the 2700k spectrum.

Your wattage is also a bit low to grow anything above a foot and a half. If you want to grow a fully mature plant to 2 feet or so, you will need at the minimum two more 26 or 23 watt CFLs. It is important to position the lights where the plant needs them. You do not want to remove lights from one side, to move them to another. Instead, you leave the light positioned where it is and ADD another light to where the plant needs it.

Good luck. If you do not address these issues, your plant will die.

13. #13 海賊王, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks for the advice! Although I do not understand why you don't like my light setup and why you think I know or don't know about light spectra. I have a 105W full-spectrum CFL and now, for the time being, another, although much smaller, full-spectrum CFL giving me a total of 7100 full-spectrum lumens over about 2.5 sq/ft, 2840 lumens per sq/ft, and a total of 120W being used until I go buy more lights in a couple weeks. The temp is around 75F. When they are ready to flower I will by my CFLs with mid-range spectra. I haven't fed any of my plants except for the one I am having trouble with and I only fed it because it was that size after over one-month and seemed to have Nitrogen and Phosphorous deficiency which I assumed must be happening since it had used up the nutrients in the paddle leaves a couple weeks ago it looks like since they were falling off, and there were virtually no nutrients in the soil. Sorry if I was unclear. The only plant I am having trouble with is the tall female I started with a month ago. All my others are less than a week old and doing well and I of course have given them nothing but pure water and the soil I planted them in since they are so young.

On another note, one of my recently planted seeds sprouted with three paddle leaves and 3 small razor leaves. Think it'll live and be any good?

I posted pics of my deformed gal as well as my new recruit who seems to be doing the best after having sprouted only about 5 days ago. Anyone know anything about the type of MJ plant my new non-deformed gal is? Not the strain-name or anything like that but whether you think it is indica, sativa etc. I don't know much about identifying the types. I have no clue--bagseed. Thanks.

Attached Files: