Plant Problem: Yellowing Tips, Curling Up, Slow Grow

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Botanist, Feb 27, 2008.

1. I'm a beginner and currently have two plants growing in the exact same conditions. One of them is doing fine (about 14" long 1/2" thick stem), the other was nute-burned about a month ago and has been slow to recover(about 7" long 1/8" thick stem). Over the past week and a half, it's leaves have started yellowing at the tips and curling up and eventually turning brown and crispy. I thought it might finally be time to add nutes again but even adding them every other day for 5 days didn't seem to change anything.

Also:
    The yellowing tips seem to target the lower leaves first and move up progressively.
    I have stopped watering in the past 4 days because the soil seemed too wet.
    Starting today, the new growth seems to have a bit of a reddish hue which I hadn't noticed before.
    I have not tested the pH and do not currently have a way to, but it is the same soil as my other plant which is doing fine.

Pictures:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/28739/ppuser/86525
    http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/28740/ppuser/86525

Any help/advice would be awesome. Thanks.

2. You really should have done a lot more research before you started your grow. If those plants are older than 1 month, you've got serious issues. You are not supposed to give young plants nutes at all. It looks like you have them planted in just plain old dirt. That's not gonna work. Read this: http://www.1stmarijuanagrowerspage.com/how-to-grow-marijuana-3.html
    Don't be afraid to use the search button, and be sure to read the stickies too.

If you want better advice, you need to give more info. Soil, lights,type of nutes,etc.

3. Yes give type of soil, when and how much nutes and check the pH as well.

4. Both pictures are of the sick plant (not sure if that was obvious) and it's growing 2 inches under a 13W 120V 60Hz 0.22A 3000K Spiral Energy Efficient Bulb on 18hour on/6 hour off timing. The nutes are 20-20-20 npk and the soil started off as germination soil before I transplanted it into all-purpose potting soil and started LST when it had about 5 leaf sets.

The plants are about 5-6 weeks old; I'm not sure how big they should be by now but my other plant is like 10 times the size of the sick plant. I had figured the small size was due to it being badly nute burned and having to recover (Unfortunately, I started fertilizing them both at the same time but I guess the sick plant, which was only slightly smaller at the time, didn't need nutes yet).

The main problem I'm having though is that just as it seemed to be recovering, the leaves are now curling up and turning yellow at the edges, then crisping and eventually falling away (It has lost about 8-10 fan leaves in the past few weeks).

Pictures of Leaves:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/28750/ppuser/86525
    http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/28751/ppuser/86525

5. During veg the spectrum should be 5000-6500K. You also could use more light.

6. The soil is all-purpose organic potting soil with peat moss, humus, compost, and perlite.

I was watering with nutes every other day, 1/4 tsp nutes/L of water as the instructions directed. The plant got burned, I flushed it out and let it recover for 2 weeks, then I tried giving it the same nutes again when it seemed to be ready and there wasn't really any change.

Working on getting some litmus paper for pH...

7. Between the soil and your feeding I think you fert burned it as well.

8. I'm putting in another 3000K light tomorrow.

Also, I've finally found a picture which resembles my problem, thanks 20fan. It was under Magnesium deficiency which I had suspected when first looking into it.

"Leaf Curling Up- Leaf curling up can be a sign of a Magnesium (Mg) deficiency caused by too low of a pH level. Magnesium deficiency will show as a yellowing (which may turn brown and crispy) and interveinal (in between the veins) yellowing beginning in the older leaves. Interveinal chlorosis (yellowing) will start at the leaf tip and progressing inward between the veins. It could also be a sign of excess heat and humidity in the grow room."

I have no idea what to use to increase the pH though. Is there anything (preferably easily obtainable or that I might already have) which would work?

9. I guess that's possible though the potting soil doesn't have time release ferts but I think the original germination soil did and some may still be left. But from what I've read, wouldn't fert burn make the leaves curl downwards?

10. What is the soil and run-off pH?

I doubt it is magnesium because the curling up is more like a "praying" of the leaves. Your leaves show more of a heat stress. If you want, you can give 1/2 tsp of Epsom salt per gallon of water to give it more magnesium.

The ferts don't necessarily have to be time release to burn.

11. Still haven't been able to get a pH reading on the plant, but the good news is that it's doing better. I basically have just been keeping it under the light and giving it tiny amounts of water with 20-20-20 nutes.

It's got good side growth coming along, a stem which is much thicker than a week ago, and 3 new leafsets in the past few days.

Picture:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/28867/ppuser/86525

12. wait wait I thought u were having nute burnt problems and u been giving tiny amounts of water with nutes still?? explain how ur plant got better please because I stop giving my plant nute and its not getting better... im getting irrated as hell right now ive spent to much money on my plants and supplies and these mofo better not die.

13. I'd use distilled water, let stand for 24 hrs before using, and it does look like you ph might be a tad high. Water problems suck till you get it back on track.:)

14. I originally had nute burn problems a few weeks back - it's taken a long time for my plant to recover, but now that it seems to have, I've been treating it regularly again and it's doing much better. There was a long period though where I was giving it 0 nutes.

15. The water is 3 parts brita filtered and 1 part tap, left to sit for at least a day before being used. Yes, the problems took a long time to fix but it seems that my plant has finally recovered.