Plant eating itself? leaves dieing?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by muah, Nov 26, 2007.

1. I was thinking how the plant works. Im currently LSTing. The plants are about 45 days old in veg. Only the bottom fan leaves yellow. Then they eventually die then the fan leaves above follow in order. Is the plant just pulling its nutrients and water from its bottom leaves then? I've used ferts 2 times as well so I dont think it can be deprived.

Forgot to add that ive only been using filtered water from a brita.

2. what method of growing are you using? Hydroponics, soil, ect? I am doing a hydroponic grow. I filter 17 gallons of water through brita, test the ph, add nutes, adjust ph accordingly...i do this every 2 weeks so the plants get fresh nutes, fresh water. I use the brita, and things seem to be fine. I've only grown in soil once. That time, it worked well, I gave it nutes every day, at the same time of day, for 45 day old plants, giving it nutes only 2 times isnt enough. They are probably deficient in many different nutes. Feed your plants, dont over feed, once per day, diluted solution. Give it a week or so to recover, dieing leaves wont recover though. I dont know if thats exactly whats wrong or not, you should post pics so we can see what it looks like, so we can better help determine whats wrong

3. Im using soil. I pulled the plants out of their pots, as u can see from the pictures the root system was huge. I just added about 2 inches of soil on the bottom and around the sides. So the plants have more root room and the leaves can grow around the sides of the pots now. Until i find out which ones are female these pots will do.
    [​IMG]

I've only used ferts 3 times of 20-20-20. A lot of ppl tell me they are not getting enough and some are saying its nute burn. IDK. Also i was thinking maybe its the light. Im using a 42watt CFL 150W equivalent. its centered over the middle of the plant where u see the yellowing, the light is only 2 inches away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Ill add that, from seed, they went into a organic time release soil. The plants were stunted and not looking too good. So I bought plain old top soil mixed with the old stuff. They were good and now this. So im thinking it might be that there is not enough nutes since the soil is real "dirty" no added good stuff. 3 days ago when I did add the soil i added the organic time release to the bottom and around the sides. so thats why from the pics there looks to be a lot of white Styrofoam thingys that make the soil look good.

5. I think it was deprived. Its been 2 days since I watered again with ferts. There looking a lot greener and the new growth is coming in fast. I would assume then that the plant was pulling nutrients from the fan leaves to make up for the nutrients it was missing.

These plants are sooo touchy. Its difficult since I used bag seed and came out with an indica and an sativa. so they respond differently making this grow difficult.

6. go check out ganja's site he has alot of good info on it that can help. 20-20-20 isn't that kinda high? mine is like 7-5-5 I think im in soil as well. also check ur ph too. I keep mine at like 6.5-6.7

7. muah, between your time release fertilized soil and the fertilizer you added to it, you fert burned it. Next time it dries out, flush with three times the water as pot size. Example: 5 gallon pot, 15 gallons of water to flush.