Help! Brown Algae

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by op8man, Apr 3, 2007.

1. I have been using bubblers which are 5 gallon pails. I am having problems with brown algae. Its not overwhelming but has slowed the plants. I checked for light leaks and found none and the tiny ones I did find I covered. If I can't find the problem........what works good for controlling algae. There are good algae that help plant growth so you won't want to kill it off. I did a search of the archives and found nothing that anyone uses to control algae. Can you use chems from aquariums or not. Help guys ,I am worried that my plants are fine now but they will die if I can't get it under control. Any help is appreciated guys and gals.

2. I dont do Hydro.........so wait for confirmation from a hydro guru in here

however, brown aglae is not a good thing, its seems the most common reason for this occurance is not changing your res solution often enough.
    I think it should be changed every 2-3 weeks?

so while your waiting here, post the temps, res temps, ppm, and PH

I personally would change your solution if you havent already within the past 3 weeks

gluck

3. Thanks but I did change the solution every week and am getting no new growth. Plants are doin good at 76 degrees (solution temp), 78 room temp. Running TDS at 500, PH is 5.5, I use General Hydro Flora series ferts. I thought maybe that the buckets had some sort of residue in them but there wasn't. There has to be some sort of additive or somethung that will cure this. How about aquarium . Any help at all is greatly appreciated.````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

4. I used General Hydroponics products and had problems with root rot. Not sure without a photo if that's what you have or if it's algae on the resv. I wouldn't put in any aquarium chemicals, as they could kill your roots. Try a fresh solution and a little bit of hydrogen peroxide 3%.

5. what color are your bubble buckets?

6. :confused:from what it sounds like i've got this same problem. nobody has posted on this thread for a few months so i will pick up where op8man left off. my buckets are the orange homedepot buckets that are covered in aluminum tape like Rumples bubble bucket tutorial says. there are maybe 1 or 2 TINY holes that light can get through but i covered those up. the brown stuff continued in the buckets (on the root mass and on the bottom of the buckets as well). So i covered the top of the net pots with a peice of cardboard that is covered in aluminum tape to prevent light from getting to the hydroton pebbles and maybe down to the root mass. but still having this problem. suggestions? i havent tried the h2o2 solution yet. how much would put in for a bubble bucket with 3 gallons of solution?:confused:

7. all strains are different add 1 teaspoon and watch closely for improvement or just halting the issues
    if you feel its helping the plants add a it more, adjust as necessary

you may want to try clearex

8. Dutch Masters gold zone works too. I'm in the same thing 5 gal buckets wrapped in bubble it saved quite a few of my pants. I have a couple stubborn ones that I'm going to try the h2o2 on today.