Brown/yellow spots. Leaves curling down.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Syztem, Sep 17, 2006.

1. I need help diagnosing whats wrong with this plant. heres some of its history: Had light green coloring similiar to a magnesium defiency, used some epsom salt(too much i think! :eek:possible cause of problem now?)

3 weeks ago
    then i transplanted it into a bigger pot with the same soil which had miracle gro slow release ferts(didnt know they had it in the soil). developed a fungus gnat/overwatering issue.

2 weeks ago
    transplanted into some scotts potting soil, got rid of the fungus gnat problem by doing this. Plant started to finally recover.

1 week ago
    was looking good for af ew days then the leaves started forming yellow spots with brown spots inside of it. leave tips were curling downwards like a "claw".

ph of soil: 6.5 (ive heard these soil test capsules you mix with water are very unreliable, my good pH tester i ordered comes monday)

Im trying to figure out if the cause of this problem is due to using too much epsom salt 3 weeks ago. I didnt realize I was only supposed to use like 1/4 teaspoon. anyway, any opinions on what the problem is? Ive came across a few things of what i think it may be, but im no expert. magnesium defiency or nitrogen defiency.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Check your scott's soil bag and make sure that does not have time release ferts as well. Scott's soil often times has time release fertilizer in it. I don't think this is Magnesium toxicity. It looks to me that this plant has a Nitrogen toxicity (too much). Besides the Epsom and the MG soil, has this plant been fed?

3. light green in color is indicative of a Nitrogen def not mag.

and apparently you over dosed it on epsom salts to boot,

it may also be suffering the beginning stages of the Miracle Crap saga ....fert burn

I fear your problems stem at MG

Is it Scotts soil now? read the bag it too may have ferts (i think i recall)
    if so get it in soil NO FERTS AT ALL, give it a small drink and Back Away From The Plant

there you go same diagnosis written simultaneously

4. Two great minds think alike Ganja :)

5. shit! they do have in the soil, i found 2 fert balls in about half a gallon worth of soil. why are they in this? no where on the bag do i see anything like feeds, or slow release fert or anything in it. crap :mad: i though ti had finally found soil without the slow release ferts

6. smknVTEC I cant argue with you there:rolleyes:

7. This happened to me 3 times; twice with MG and once with scott's. I recommend you stay away from both of those. Get some Sunshine Mix #4 or some Fox Farms soil or go to the local nursery and pick up some generic no name professional potting soil if they have some.

8. Alright thanks for the help guys. side question: anyone use peters pro bloom or grow ferts?

9. Greetings,

It is also very possible that the problems are the result of your issue with fungus gnats. By transplanting you may have indeed taken the necessary steps to eliminate the cause however it still takes 2 weeks for the life cycle to be broken, provided you have eliminated all sources of attraction to the adults.

The problem isn’t the gnats themselves but it is their larvae. Some strains of fungus gnat larvae will feed upon the root system of your plants thus diminishing the root mass, this is the most direct cause for the drooping leaves. Once this level of infiltration has occurred you will see symptoms as you are seeing now. It is most often fatal in plants that are in week 3 or so of veg, however the plants can be saved if measures are taken quickly, although they will tend to grow much slower and likely will not be all they could be.

Your plants may be young enough to be mostly unaffected after a short recovery. Watch them closely for collapse and move your lights up to allow for plants with diminished root mass. The plants are top heavy at the moment until the root mass can recover.

10. the leaves curling down could be too much heat, overwatering, underwatering, or too much ferts