Guys, does this bother you?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by ride-KAWASAKI-, Apr 30, 2010.

1. I'm not trying to put anything in your mouth, words or otherwise.

You claimed multiple times that raising kids is a 24/7 hour a day job. I merely said that if you're going to justify that with the fact that they're worrying about their kids even when they're not with them, then being a father is a 24/7 hour a day job as well.

And most mothers do not spend ALLLLLL day EVERY day with their children, although they do spend a lot of time with them. Just like men spend a lot of time at work. And MY opinion (obviously) is that physical labor is much harder than raising children. I guess that's probably because I'm more mentally stable than most men. Like penelope said her husband wouldn't last two days being a stay at home parent. I (and other men, for example Bdub) find it to be extremely easy and much more enjoyable than doing hard physical labor (and then coming home to worry/stress about the family just as the wife does).

I've already told you, I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to see where you all are coming from trying to claim that raising children is harder than doing manual labor (which is off topic).

And I DO have experience raising children and have talked to mother's who have both raised children and worked (much like Penelope) who have told me that raising children is much easier and more enjoyable than working full time.

I think that people who find raising children to be harder than physical labor are just neive to the right parenting techniques.

Why are YOU still arguing?

2. WTF? Have you not been reading any of my previous posts fully, or are you just ignoring the fact that I DO HAVE SIGNIFICANT EXPERIENCE RAISING TWO CHILDREN. AND have talked to many mothers who have raised children and worked themselves. Does observational learning mean nothing to you?

So you can have a better idea than most people when it comes to raising children at the age of 19 but I can't? Just because I don't agree with you?

Ok...

3. Personally for me raising kids would be easier than working 8+ manual labor hours a day.

4. Yeah, I'd have to agree with that, but you can determine that some things are generally harder than others. For example carrying 80 lb bags of concrete would, in general, be harder than pushing around a 20 lb stroller or watching your children play soccer.

I admit for some people who aren't as mentally capable as others, worrying about your kids getting hurt or delving into inappropriate activities might be really "hard". But for me, and many other fathers and mothers I've met, it's very easy for them to raise children comfortably, and most mothers quickly admit that they wouldn't trade places with their husbands if they had the choice. Just as most father's I've met wouldn't trade places with their wives. Not because raising a child would be harder for them, but because they, as the man, feel like it's their duty to take as much of the burden of the family as possible.

But as is always the case, to each their own. :)

5. I disagree. You see, for me pushing a 20lb stroller would require a lot more motivation than moving 80lb bags of concrete. While moving 80lbs of concrete may be physically harder than moving a 20lb stroller, it isn't mentally easier for some. Thats because I see moving the concrete as a challenge, and challenges with direct rewards are easier to engage in for me than easy activities with long term rewards.

6. Agreed, but that's probably because you can handle children better than most people.

Raising kids is a lot like doing math. It's a piece of cake if you're good at it, but if you don't know how to do it, it can be nearly impossible.

:laughing:

7. #207 IGotTheCottons, May 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010

Dude... Babysitting doesn't count as 'significant' experience (unless I'm thinking of someone else who said that, and it wasn't you??).

And about your other post, this whole argument started when you said being a stay at home parent isn't as hard as working manual labor.

What makes being a 'stay at home' parent more difficult, imo, is that you don't get a break from your children. If you have a job, and have kids, you at least get to change it up between work & home.

I never once said the parent going to work doesn't share the same concerns about their children as the one who stays home - but you seem to think I have... Because you continued bringing up how men stress about their kids, too. No one ever said they didn't.

We're simply saying that because of the monotony, being a stay at home parent is more difficult, than working a full time job... Which it is. The only reason manual labor is 'difficult' is because you have to lift heavy shit (which you eventually get used to). There isn't really much mental ability involved (and please, spare me the arguments here, I've worked WAY more than my fair share of manual labor. it's grunt work that anyone with a strong back can handle)... Being a stay at home parent, on the other hand, is a bit more mentally taxing - and at times - just as physically demanding (the things you lift aren't as heavy, but the repetitious movements, and keeping up with your kids, IS very physically demanding).

The parent who works doesn't have a 24/7 job. They have 2 jobs. Their work, and their parenting. IMO, it's much easier to work 2 different jobs, in 2 different places... Than it is to work the SAME job, all day long, every day of the week/year (with the rare exception of being able to get a babysitter and go out).

I never said parents spend all day, every day, with their kids. I said a STAY AT HOME PARENT does, however (with the rare exception).

Let me ask you this...How many strictly stay-at-home parents do you know?

My mom did it for a while, and it drove her nuts.

Parents may love their children, but sometimes you just need a break... And stay at home parents rarely get that break... Whereas a parent, who also works, gets to spend some time at the job. It's a change. It's variety. Raising kids is the same, monotonous crap, all day/every day.

8. I think you guys are sitting here arguing about 2 differends kinds of "hard" and thats why this thread is now 15 pages

I think manual labor is 100x more PHYSICALLY demanding than raising a baby

I think raising a baby is 100x more EMOTIONALLY/MENTALLY demanding than heavy labor.

Take your pick of what sucks more, but its two different kinds of "hard" and its impossible to argue. its all preference.

9. This logic brings a third kind of "hard" to the party. :hide:

Seriously though true stuff in this post.

10. Yep, /thread

Although I don't exactly knwo why the thread length is aggitating you? lol.

I guess I find physical labor harder because, like I said, I'm much more emotionally/mentally stable than most people, therefore I find it much easier to do emotionally/mentally taxing activities.

And yeah cottons you're thinking of someone else, I spent three years raising my to younger brothers (8-11 and 10-13). My mom was a single mom and she worked 12 hours a day. She usually saw us about 3 hours total between the time she got home and the time she went to bed. I got my brothers up and made sure they were ready to go in the morning, made them breakfast, picked them up, cooked for them, took them to friend's houses, EVERYTHING a stay at home mom would have to do.

For all practical purposes, my mom was the dad and I was the mom.

11. not aggitated, just tryin to put a stop or give light to countless pages of circular arguments :hello: I love reading what yall have to say though.

12. See... I don't necessarily agree with manual labor being more physically taxing than raising kids (mostly when they're younger). When they're babies, you gotta carry 'em pretty much everywhere you go. There's constant bending/lifting (cleaning up after them, putting them in to/out of car seats/their cribs/etc.)... Then comes playing with them (as they get a bit older and can run around and shit)... Have you ever tried keeping up with a little kid? Those fuckers have more energy than a nuclear power plant (not literally, obviously)... It's very physically demanding raising children (especially young children... Once they're older/have a bit more independence, it's not as a bad).

Werd, well then my bad for confusing you with someone else.. :) :p

But I had a similar life. Both my parents worked crazy hours... So I played a huge role in raising both my sisters (while I was just a kid, myself).

But you didn't do everything a stay at home parent would have done. Did you not go to school? If you went to school, you got that break... You weren't a stay at home parent... So you really can't say what it would be like to be a stay at home parent for 18+ years... And neither can I... I just know that my relatively limited experience with kids (relatively compared to a stay at home parent) is enough to make me never want that.

Also, I don't believe raising kids being difficult has anything to do with your mental stability. You can be mentally stable, and still not enjoy raising kids. It has more to do with how much you enjoy children, imo.

13. I'm looking to marry a strong willed, independent woman. That's all I want.

I want a woman with a strong heart and someone who can take care of themselves and our children if something were to happen to me.

I think women who can hold their own are some of the sexist women in the world. Not to many men appreciate it.

14. Same here man.

I'm never having kids, so she's gotta be cool with that.. But my ideal woman would be someone who's just as/more strong willed, independent, driven than I am. I think it's sexy as fuck when a girl can hold her own. I'm a pretty strong-willed person, and I need someone who can balance that out, and keep my ass in check... And I haven't really met very many like that. I don't like the whole submissive/cook/clean/do the dishes kinda girl. I want a girl who wants more from her life than to be a baby factory.

But you're right man. Seems a lot of guys still think your sex should determine your role in life (I'm not referring to anyone specifically, just a general observation). It's a real shame that so many people still have that mind set.

15. See! there's nothing wrong women trying to do them nowadays,Hell I wouldn't wanna be home or in the kitchen or doing someone else's laundry all day either.
    (Shout Outz to the women that's out their working hard Single or not)

16. You're looking in the wrong gender. :p

17. LOL!

Not physically speaking... I mean mentally... I like it when a girl challenges me. It shows that she thinks for herself. I like sharp/witty gals. :D :p

18. Ah you like them to get you in this ass in a mentally challenging sort of way. So like... she tickles your butt hole and teases it, then you begin to get confused because she hasn't gone in yet. Then soon enough she gets to it and you are so mentally challenged at this point its amazing. You're mind is racing with thoughts, -what took her so long- -why did she do that- -what will she do next- etc...

I understand now. :cool:

:laughing: woo just kidding. I know what you really mean though. I want that kind of woman some day myself. :smoking:

19. no it doesnt bother me :smoking:

20. Hahaha dude... I'm fairly baked, and that shit had me lmfao! :laughing: :gc_rocks: