sativa shootout grow... your 2 cents?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by pokernaut, Sep 22, 2010.

1. #1 pokernaut, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
    OK... i've been window shopping for next month's UFO order after deciding to just give pure sativas a go because i STILL can't seem to find any indoor strains with the buzz that i DEMAND. i refuse to accept couchlock or even smelling like a skunk, but have to have a trippy buzz. it seems every strain you can grow indoors only offers 1 or the other. strains like C99 & kalichakra (which i'll be comparing head to head) have energetic sativa type buzzes without stinking like roadkill, but aren't trippy while there ARE compact & trippy plants like romulan, LA confidential, red dragon & super silver haze etc.. but those are fucking skunky & couchlocking! fucking A!

i've been looking for a doable sativa LITERALLY since about 1985 when the most likely columbian gold (told it was thai, but it's piney odor says otherwise) that i started out toking that had awesome trippy visual & auditory effects that i loved so much disappeared to be replaced by the fucking overpriced dutch indicas and hybrids i've learned to despise to the very fiber of my being replaced it. the only way to get couchlocked of columbian gold is to wake and bake & maintain all day, but even then, you can still go out and party if you really want to! that's getting HIGH folks. that is the only result i am after. to be fair, energetic & euphoric strains are 1,000x funner than taking a hit & falling asleep, but still not as fun as watching TV in 3D, feeling a light giddy feeling in your stomach, feeling your feet want to fly up in the air and take you with them every step that feels like you're walking downhill or the sheer orgasmic bliss you can experience simply chowing down on a slice of pizza. NOTHING i've smoked in about 25 years, (that a quarter of a fucking CENTURY) has given me the no compromise buzz i'm after.

these are the strains i already have and am planning to pop. the plan is to pollinate everything with a C99 male to possibly create some smaller sativas or a trippier C99, whatever you want to call it.

sativa dominant hybrids
    C99 - joey weed
    Urban Poison - sativa seeds
    8 miles high - mandala
    &
    i MIGHT consider popping the feminized autohaze freebie i got last month & as i said, want to compare C99 directly to very similar sounding kalichakra by mandala which is on my shopping list.

i'll also be popping a couple indicas for variety
    hasberry - mandala
    &
    1x shark attack fem - dinafem

i have a bunch of other UFOs & stragglers like 2 each of C99 x bluberry & buddha's sister x haze i want to save for a round 2 breed with something else probably.

the shopping list for mostly pure sativas which i want now stands at these strains:
    mekong haze (cambodian x cambodian) - delta 9 labs (rumored to be one of the trippiest strains in existence according to cannabible. $18 x 5 beans is worth checking the claim!
    haze skunk - hi quality seeds
    full moon (thai based) - sativa seeds

and finally, these are the remaining pick & mix strains i'm looking to get some feedback on if anyone has experience with them. laughing buddha is on the list for it's euphoria effects
    laughing buddha - barney's farm
    LSD - barney's farm
    honey B barney's farm off the list... "almost trippy" ain't gonna cut it.
    jack's cleaner 2 - TGA subcool off the list... less jack... more haze!
    jack the ripper - TGA subcool off the list... less jack... more haze!
    &
    jilly bean - TGA subcool off the list... i already have C99 and romulan isn't interesting to me
    i'd like to get rid of any redundant or inferior strains here

i know this is going to be a pain in the ass to attempt and i'm not going to yield much, but i don't care! i'm not growing this to sell, i'm growing for smoke only. i want to be sure that i have some killer trip on hand the next time some wicked cool 3D action adventure comes out. i want to actually get fucking high at least once more in this lifetime! OK, C99 will get me high, but not tripped out. that's what a full high means to me.

so, what do you think?

[​IMG]
    THIS is how fucking HIGH i wanna get!

2. well i already own 8 miles high so testing that is a given.

i was just asking in another thread if vortex is the strain that smells like baby shit. FUCK THAT! smoking cat piss, diesel & even durban poison is disgusting enough, but you can't get anywhere near anything remotely related to baby shit. even thinking about it makes my stomach turn. even skunk is preferable and i hate skunk which isn't really that bad, it's just the principle of my contempt for anything remotely indica there.

how about the two jacks? that's a comparison i'm really interested in probably more than any other. what's the difference?

3. I think I love it and it's about time someone gets to the bottom of the problem. Which is where did those old skool strains disappear too? I'm new at growing but am a veteran young guy, so I remember the buzz's you speak of.

I saw a maui waui at Dr. chronic I think that was offered by sensi seeds I think. If it's anything like the waui of the old-skool days, then it has a place in your garden.

Good luck and if you find what your looking for, save a bean for me!!!

4. #4 pokernaut, Sep 23, 2010
    then that answers my question.. they're BOTH off my list, thank you. i'm looking ONLY for a pure IBL sativa type highs for my next order. jack herer has never held any interest for me other than the fact i'd taste some if it was around. this is why everyone at overgrow used to piss me off. they just couldn't get it through their heads that "almost a sativa high" is not good enough. i want a 100% pure never heard of indica old school buzz.

watered down hybrids are just part of the problem as far as i'm concerned. maybe i should just look around for some pure haze and drop haze skunk from my list too. even compared to that though, anything with jack in it or even moreseo super silver haze is totally a step in a direction i won't go without fighting until someone's momma gets called out. LOL

whoever wants to say jack herer, super silver haze, LA confidential, medicine man, or apollo 11 etc. can talk to the hand because i'm just not hearing it. in the end... i think i will only be happy SCROGging IBLs because no one has an indoor strain worth shit in my book. energetic strains are better than couchlockers, but without the trippy effects, toking is totally pointless.

hmmm... as overpriced as it was, it looks like you can't even fucking get neville's haze anymore and virtually everything with haze in it's name is a fucking hybrid now too. SHIT! i should have bought a few packs of nirvana's haze back when they still carried it just t squirrel away for the future.

dr atomic's thai lights shouldn't be shabby, but i'm not laying $90 down to test that theory.

afropips is out of stock on just about everything. as it's getting impossible to find pure sativas anymore, i think i should do this grow just to try and preserve real sativas. just a few years ago, almost every breeder seemed to at least have haze. if i don't at least TRY to grow a real sativa now, i might lose the chance forever at this rate. fuckin' indicas! fuck! fuck! fuck!

sadly, the breeders that seem to have great sounding sativas tend to have sketchy reputations... seedsman, reeferman & world of seeds

maybe my next grow after testing will be
    mekong haze x malawi gold and nothing else! actually, reverse that... malawi gold x mekong haze because if MH really is one of the trippiest strains in existence, then that's what i'd want as a mother. there';s the kind of hybrid vigor i'd like to see!

5. #5 pokernaut, Sep 23, 2010
    RESOLVED!

OK... i've got my list now!

mekong haze- delta 9 labs
    haze skunk - hi quality seeds
    full moon - sativa seeds
    laughing buddha - barney's farm
    LSD - barney's farm

sativa seeds has a haze #1 that might be good, but i'll give HQS a try for variety's sake. i bought it from them before and got 100% pops at the very least. here's to hoping at least one of these delivers the goods and isn't all hype.

MEKONG HAZE
    [​IMG]
    go baby! go baby! go baby go!​

6. #6 Sam87, Sep 23, 2010
    You're looking at flowering these under UFOs, or just vegging? Most of these IBL Sativas need one hell of a lot of light, bro. The usually don't like being indoors much at all, much less indoors under LEDs.

I've been eyeing The Rev's Black Forrest for a while. THat's probably going to be the next pickup, with HGS Purple Cindy behind it.

KOS BLACK FORREST (Auction ID: 101367, End Time : Sep. 28, 2010 16:26:20) - TKS Auctions

Looks badass. Not much on it there, but there was a 3rd party review in Skunk, or somewhere else? Apparently, most people are running for the hills after smoking it, but I've always loved that racy, trippy bud. Just can't find it enough anymore, everyone wants "low paranoia" blueberry crosses and shit. I hate smoking, and feeling like I just chugged a bottle of Nyquil.

There's a Chocolope Pheno that is really awesome, but that'll take some looking, and they're pricey

Also, if you're in CO, PM me, and I may have some ideas for you for a hybrid that is still a lot of fun to smoke. No seeds to buy online, though.

7. Hey Pokernaut, have you checked out Afropips Nigerian Yet? I am strictly a Sativa lover as well. And this is one I was checking out myself along with Mekong Haze. Here's a lil bit of the breeder description. She is a pure sativa which has never been crossed with any other strains and therefore contains all original African landrace characteristics. Cured buds have a lemon tea aroma. Smoking Nigerian is like going back to good old days because of her aromatic hash smell and taste. Because of its higher content over CBD, Nigerian's high is very powerful cerebral, taking you to the land of dreams and illusions. I hope this was helpful in your search. And good luck bro. :wave:

8. #8 pokernaut, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
    yeah... i'm very much into afropips, but totally have my eye on malawi gold. that's the kind of shit i'm talking about.

i KNOW that sativas stretch and take forever etc. and part of the reason i got banned from overgrow was arguing with 100 people all trying to talk me out of trying IBLs indoors when i wasn't arguing with them about refusing to settle for trippy but couchlocking & skunky shit like jack herer, super silver haze, medicine man, romulan, LA confidential & apollo 11 etc.

people just can't seem to get it through their heads that i hate EVERYTHING about indicas and i want that fucking shit dead forever. i'm not going to compromise quality for quantity or sell out to the fucking indica forces of evil! DIE fucking afghanis & hash plants! die fucking OG kush!

if i can only get 1 gram of bud out of a SCROGged mekong, then it's totally worth the piddly $18 i spent on it! i'm not doing this for anyone BUT ME! i'll take whatever yield i can get. i will not rest until i get a genuine sativa high that rivals the columbian gold sinse i started on and that spoiled me forever, anything less only pisses me off and makes me hate indicas even more. OK... the durban poison, kali mist & C99 i've toked was nice and couchlock free, even energetic, but NOT trippy. those strains i mentioned above like SSH are trippy, but they also couchlock. i refuse to trade one quality for the other. it looks like the ONLY way to get an ACCEPTABLE buzz HAS TO involve giant stretching IBLs. you can't get zero couchlock trippy in a small package. i don't like that rule, but if that's the way it is, then i'm going to do what i got to do. i'm not going to throw the towel in and settle no matter how many "agents of indica" try to talk me out of it.

i want trippy AND energetic and will fight to the death for it no matter what it takes. if i have to buy 4 x 1,000w and turn my entire room into a 10 x 10 SCROG table, so be it. i do have other, ore compromised strains to fall back on if all i can get is an "OK" buzz.

9. Nobody is trying to talk you out of it? That's the attitude that we need from a lot more growers.

Have you thought about Tom Hill's gear? It's expensive, and there's going to be some selection work in there, but you'll probably find a plant you'll like in his Original Haze. Apparently you're looking at around a 5% occurence rate, so it may take two packs to find.

By all means though, try the Mekong first. And give me a smoke report, I've been looking for a good SE Asian mom.

10. #10 pokernaut, Sep 24, 2010
    trust me sam, people HAVE been trying to talk me out of it for over 10 years. the EXACT reason i got banned from overgrow was for refusing to give an inch to everyone telling me it can't be done or to settle for couchlock and when they started getting uppity with me for refusing to stop looking for the buzz i DEMAND, i started telling them to shut the fuck up and mind their fucking business if they had nothing productive or constructive to add.

i'm sure many had good intentions but the simple fact is any plant that in any way makes me think indica is out of the question forever. i WILL be growing some indicas & hybrids for variety's sake but what i want is the buzz that 25 years of research have told me you can ONLY get from a tree and virtually NEVER buy unless you know some really exclusive & rare growers like whoever my sister's boyfriend knew that threw me those awesome (but not trippy) durban poison & kali mist buds. even THOSE aren't quite good enough for me though. i ONLY want to get back to a trippy high without having to fall asleep doing it.

if it weren't so hard, i would violently despise indicas to the very core of my being. i'm not exaggerating when i say that. if there were an "indica fairy" hopping down the street responsible for any plant with even a tiny bit of couchlock. i wouldn't hesitate to run out the door and beat it to death with whatever i could find and would take great joy in finally being able to look my enemy in the eye as it's life drains out. mind you, i've never so much as started a fight in my entire life and the last one i was in was well over 15 years ago, but i want indicas dead, yesterday. having everyone steer me away from the path to true enlightenment (as in getting that light floating feeling you only can get from getting high) is like telling someone they can buy a can of soda, but only if the let someone stick a gerbil up their ass first. i am just never gonna go with that flow.

my shopping list is pretty much set in stone now but there's a possibility i might add one more strain under $50 if anyone who gets just how important zero couchlock trippy is to me can suggest one. it doesn't have to taste like exotic fruit or be potent even, just let me be able to walk to a movie theater and back and get blown away by the movie.

there is just no shortcut or way around the fact that you just can't get that kind of buzz out of a compact plant no matter what you cross it with. sativas are high maintenance bitches, but that's the price you gotta pay to date a supermodel.

i can never rest until i at least say that i TRIED. i can take pride in failure, but you'll never be able to shut me up if i can say to all the naysayers 'i told you so!"

11. This thread is like watching scientist talk about creating life or discussing evolution. Going to be following this one for the interest in the idea of a good indoor grown sativa with the same affects.

Now time to study really hard :devious:

12. #12 pokernaut, Sep 24, 2010
    here's to hoping that i'm able to show that it CAN be done even if the yield is scrawny. either way, MOST of the stuff i plant should be better than average and maybe haze skunk is THE doable indoor sativa of choice. part of this grow's purpose is to test various strains for practicality and against each other. i simply refuse to let the netherlands tell me i'll never get high again for the rest of my life without a fight.

as to lighting, i've already got that covered as i have a 480w halide & digital ballast collecting dust. the system has about a month's use on it. i also have a couple shoplights for supplimental lighting and might possibly look into DIYing some super expensive red LEDs that'll run an hour longer than the halides to trigger flowering without raising heat or power draw. i might even consider adding a 480w sodium once i get down to designing my space.

right now, i'm thinking of a 3' X 6' space (4' x 8' is pushing it) with a vertical SCROG net on the back & end walls for training the stretchers with all of the indoor strains in the middle and putting the light on a rail i slide every day just as in the high times article about turning half your lights of to get BETTER growth by lowering temperatures although it shouldn't be that big an issue. the plan is to use my grow light(s) to heat my apartment. i tried to think how i could make a 4 x 8 space where i could switch the lights every day, but heat exhausts & cables become a nightmare then. i'd really like a side by side 2 lights on a rail system, but light rails are crazy expensive. i can make a manual one for under $50 easy. it would just move slower. every plant would get 1 day of sun and 1 of clouds. maybe i can cram everything into a 4 x 4 with 2 lights. that was about the size of my former walk in when i bought the light & started building.

if only i could get away with spinning my power meter, i'd just get 2 each of halides & sodiums and convert the entire spare room into a SCROG on one side for half a dozen sativas and the other into a standard grow with the indoor strains.

another alternative to light movers (i like the idea of efficiency) was to make a little mini SCROG cube for each plant and put it on wheels. then i could just rotate the plants daily and get easy access for watering & tying down without the nightmare of untangling one strain at a time at harvest, but i never could get anyone to commit to telling what the optimum size screen for each plant should be.

i still say, if anyone was really committed to growing just sativas, they could do it with a small 3 x 3 table with maybe 4 plants (at least 1) and a single light. i just think that most growers are too brainwashed by the idea of yield.

13. For a Sativa like these, you won't want to do the whole modular screen thing. They're going to get big, and they'll work together to fill space at each other's bare spots. It will work better if you've got more room to move them around in.

A tropical Sativa is not going to appreciate a day of clouds every other day. They really, really do like a lot of light, so if you can figure out how make it work to get them it, even if the other strains suffer for it, then go for it. You could beef up the indoor strains with CFLs, they'll respond better than the IBL will.

And here when I set up my full sized room, I'm going to have a 600w light dedicated to Sativas and interesting hybrids, just for myself and friends. Can't wait. Until now, I have to do with just growing really knockout hybrids. It's a shame, but I can't afford the new room if I grow only Sativas :(

14. I think you want a haze strain since they are 100% sativa. I have an anxiety issue myself so indica dominant is very ideal for me. I am going with auto strains but only due to the small space I work with (25" pc space).

15. yes, i DO want an ACTUAL haze strain. that's why i'm going with haze skunk i can't think of any other strain than 75% sativa skunk #1 to tame haze size without compromising the THC profile. i also have that autoflowering super cali haze totry, but i'm guessing that the indicas & ruderalis that were used in the lowryder it was probably bred with will make it more like an indica.

i have read both ace seeds' & kiwiseeds' cool sounding product descriptions, but smoke reports on either breeder are few and far in between. after getting shafted by 0% VISC burmese acouple years ago, i don't like buying beans from an unknown breeder. their gear is also a little on the pricey side of nirvana, mandala, sativa seeds & high quality seeds. if anyone had any first hand experience with them, i'd love to hear it. heck, i'm always down to hear ANY decent smoke report whether or not the strain is of interest to me.

the "modular SCROG" idea was more for indoor plants with the idea of SCROGing, at the time, kali mist, haze skunk, buddha's sister x haze & a11g x (a11g x lien huanh) on the walls. i can't imagine fitting an IBL sativa in anything less than 3 feet by 3 feet and even then, there'd be a lot of overlapping i'm sure.

before i tried ace seeds or kiwiseeds, i'd totally go for $57 afropips' malawi gold. lemony & trippy is my kinda sativa! it seems too that breeders that specialize in sativas seem to have sketcher reputations eg. VISC, seedsman, reeferman & world of seeds not to count all the regular breeder who call anything with sativa in it haze! that would include ace, i think who has an INDICA dominant with haze in it's name or all the others who claim to have acopulco gold, panama red & oaxican etc. when those strains are virtually extinct except for a few rare breeders. i only accept strain descriptions as a starting point for further research and don't trust them one bit.

i think too that the whole "sativas love light" issue is more about they're size if you don't train them. grow lights only have 3 or 4 feet of useable penetration and sativas grow much larger, but when you train them to a flat surface, they get much better coverage. scrogging them isn't just about containing their size.

i should go with the other idea everyone was always trying to talk me out of and make an expandable SCROG table for 3 or 4 IBLs a few inches under shoplights where penetration is a non-issue. just because no one will try doesn't mean it can't be done. i want to test that theory too because i think it can. at just a few inches, i bet a shoplight is brighter than an HID a couple feet away AND they'd cover a broader range a their light is consistent over their entire 4 feet instead of a point source that can be 2-4 feet away sideways before depth even comes into play.

it wouldn't hurt anything to try except a few dolars in materials & buying another couple shoplights & tubes. i'd really like to find some warm colored phillips "hi-vision" tubes. they're orange like sodiums and really bright compared to GE etc. i lived in a building that had them as well as other brands and you could see which type was being used in a fixture all the way down a long hall by the bright triangles the cast on the side walls. i couldn't find any at walmart or home depot etc. though.

besides my fanatical, almost religious devotion to sativas, i like doing things my own way & going against the flow. i just think that everyone has been so programmed to think in terms of HIDs & 4 foot plants that they're simply afraid to try anything different. that's probably why i'm a contrarian. i don't like knee jerk conditioned responses. authority needs to be questioned. i see tunnel vision holding back a lot of things in the world.

yes.. i have issues! LOL nothing a good euphoric trippy buzz can't tame though.

16. #17 pokernaut, Sep 24, 2010
    i just remembered what i should add to my shopping list for that "under $50" impulse buy! greenhouse seed's sativa mix!

SUPER SILVER HAZE
    ARJAN'S STRAWBERRY HAZE
    ARJAN'S HAZE #1
    NEVILLE'S HAZE
    HAWAIIAN SNOW

for under $10 each! that color coding is the right idea for a mix too. i don't like the idea of popping 4-5 strains and not knowing what's what. this way, i can actually try SSH without going broke as well as get neville's real in the mix and 3 other potential decent strains. $8.40 for neville's haze is better than, say $250!

these strains should have a little more indoor friendliness to them too.

17. if you arent joking, im sure youve read about everyones Greenhouse hatred right?

just sayin` :b :smoke:

18. i see no reason why it wouldn't be possible to do what you want to do

best of luck, looking forward to your success

19. i know dutch banks aren't popular, but that's the only place i know where you can't get neville's haze. i guess it must not be the original then. i don't know of too many places that have super silver either. if greenhouse is that sketchy, i'll ditch the plan then. i don't really think i NEED anything more than i have or am planning on getting anyways. more strains = more complications.