WORST shit ever breeders to be avoided?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by pokernaut, Sep 20, 2010.

1. #1 pokernaut, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
    everyone is always looking for the best beans, but how about a thread to let noobs know what shit to avoid like the plague?

KC brains is notoriously the worst breeder ever! any time i've seen KC brains and grow report in the same sentence, it's someone pissed off that none of their beans popped. i've never seen a positive review except in high times. just like any other magazine that reviews cars & stereos etc., it definitely helps if you're an advertiser, huh?

dutch seed banks the general consensus seems to be that dutch seedbanks have totally gone down the shithole since they started the specialty bred seed business in the mid 80s. pure schwag.

nivana autoflowering there's a bunch of threads here from people pissed about their autoflowering nirvana strains dying before maturity. did they farm out for those? regular nirvana beans have always been respected as some of the best bong for your buck, but their ruderalis hybrids seem to be a flat out ripoff

vancouver island seed bank i can personally report that not one of the fucking seeds i got from them was useable. 1/2 of them wouldn't even pop and the ones that did either died immediately or were useless mutants

seedsman (if they're even in business still) a fellow sativa lover noting my interest in malawi gold reported that the beans he got from seedsman were the worst schwag he's ever grown.

please feel free to add any of your personal experiences with shitty seeds or other breeders you've heard nothing but complaints from. too often, one sees noobs here at grasscity that are pissed because they made the mistake of dealing with greedy ass dutch breeders that those of us who've been paying attention to the scene for avoid. maybe a heads up might save a couple new growers from repeating the mistakes of others. then again, it seems no one can be bothered to read the legit seedbanks sticky at the top of this forum and save themselves trouble of avoiding bad banks either.

i am a little annoyed to see one or two of the "respected" seedbanks in the sticky are just repackagers of $25 nirvanas selling them for $50-$75! that's not "trusted" in my book. that's a ripoff even if you do get your beans.

2. I assume you mean to include the UK seed banks (like Attitude & Gypsy Nirvana) under the "Dutch seed banks" umbrella but that you are excluding the Canadian companies. The thing is, the "Dutch" seed banks are like the only game in town as far as legit vendors are concerned. If your web site lacks online credit card processing, then, I'm sorry, you aren't a real business. I'm not going to print out your form, fill it in with my crayon, and mail it to you. Move out of you mom's basement and start a real company. Real companies process credit card orders in real time. They don't have web sites from 1993. If Attitude & their ilk didn't exist then I might feel more inclined to break out the crayons, but they do exist. So much for Canada.

The reason "Dutch seed banks" are just about the only game in town is marijuana cultivation is illegal almost everywhere, even Holland. It's illegal to grow weed in Holland, even for seed production. That makes commercial breeding more difficult than it otherwise would be. Barely possible, apparently, but difficult. Same deal in the UK. You can import seeds. You can export seeds. You cannot germinate seeds. But a collection of picaresque characters, many with criminal records, have managed to get a seed industry going in The Netherlands & the UK despite these obstacles.

Along the way, they have managed to cross sativas with indicas to create plants that can be grown indoors and outdoors in temperate climates by hobbyist growers. I know the indica pollution makes you unhappy. But they would be out of business otherwise, which would mean no seeds at all. No seeds for sale, no grow shops to sell you the equipment to grow the seeds that aren't for sale, no Grass City, no thread.

Because commercial cultivation is illegal basically everywhere, there can certainly be no regulation, no standards, no consumer protections, hell, no taxomony. The text books do not recognize cannabis indica as a species and that's not about to change because every law on the books restricts the cultivation, distribution and possession of cannabis sativa, not cannabis indica. They are not going to rewrite all those laws so that hobbyist criminals like you and I can enjoy a more accurate taxonomy. Mandala can create a true breeding strain, but that true breeding strain cannot become a registered cannabis sativa cultivar because growing cannabis is illegal and the body that maintains the registry of cultivars is funded by gubmints. If breeders could register cultivars then consumers would be able to tell the difference between a legitimate strain and the ephemeral illusion that is the modern cannabis "strain."

So, yes, the cannabis seed market has shortcomings, the sort of shortcomings that one is likely to encounter in any black market.

Their White Widow is well regarded.

3. +1 for seedsman being garbage. 30 femmed Power Africa seeds. 25 of which i grew out for 3 months before all but ONE (out of 25) hermed out. It took them so long to show too. (sept 10-15th)

4. I hear that Sensi Seeds Durban is the way to go. Afropips is out of stock everywhere. The reports I've seen on Dutch Passion's Durban Poison are inconsistent, but they do sell a feminized version, so you can always take a gamble on one or two seeds.

5. #5 Blaze all day, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
    Greenhouse Seed Co. ~ poorly made knockoffs for the uninformed. Arjan is a businessman masquerading as a breeder and cannabis connoisseur, he is not concerned with your satisfaction or return business. All he wants is that cash in your back pocket.
    [​IMG]
    He's a joke.
    :wave:

6. Blaze, when I saw the topic, I knew you'd be by to put in a good word for Arjan. :p

He'll get more of my money if I come back. He knows that. He wants me to be happy with my purchase. He wants me to tell my friends how good his gear is.

People do seem to like their Super Lemon Haze. A lot. The Blue Cheese is getting a lot of play as well. Their seeds are always in stock. I don't have to PM Arjan on a forum in the hope of scoring some elusive GHS White Widow seeds. He keeps his prices just below the pain threshold. Every seed is feminized. No fuss, no muss. Hey, have you seen that packaging? There are reasons why Arjan is so successful. It's not just because he is so exquisitely evil. That's only part of the reason. :p

7. #7 Grasshumper, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2010
    thanks for giving credit where due:p.alot of peeps justg dont like the staff there. i as a well known fact here have had very good experiences with the GHS slh, green o matic, strwberry haze, big bang, lemon skunk, and arjans ultra haze #2. all no hermies no problems. i tried to stay away from the church and bubba cause some folks were having problems. but i even have the bubba now and she's doin really good.

i also wanna say on the nirvana auto's they are great plants and extremly potent (especially bubbalicious) only problem they didnt auto flower had to be put into 12/12 to flower them yield same as an auto. i would stay away from the nyc powerdiesel tho i got 3 males from all femmed seeds:smoke:

8. #8 Alatar, Sep 21, 2010
    Thanks, grasshumper. Mind you, that's not to discount Arjan's documented Cup fixing activities, that's not to discount the opinions of experienced growers who won't grow GHS seeds, guys like Blaze. I just watched a video in which Arjan referred to White Widow as a plant "that I created in 1995." I think we call that lying. The guy is a liar and a cheat and a braggart. Blaze has got a legitimate beef. But the guy also has some very good seeds. I am not looking for truth or fair play or humility from Arjan. I'm looking for some very good seeds.

I don't trust GHS to do the right thing. But I don't have to. I have all these grow journals that tell me what's what. And what they are telling me is, stay away from the Church, but that SLH is really worth growing. Decent price, too.

Have we hijacked pokernaut's thread? If we haven't, we've been skating close to the line. Sorry about that, pokernaut. It's all Blaze's fault. :eek:

9. All my favorite strains are Dutch except some of the Rez stuff that Im now rather fond of.

10. i am wondering if i should mark barney's pineapple chunk on the bad list. all i can say is i have always got great fat seeds off barney's and had 100% germ rates with them, but the PC came as an extremly small seed that i just couldnt get to germ. the only reason i would mention this is because others here have complained of the small seeds from the barney's PC recently. and it is a fairly new strain. but i will say that i am ordering a whole pack of the PC to see if they are all small. i do want that strain:smoke:

11. Certainly, you can't draw any conclusions from a single seed. I order single seeds, just to stretch the investment, try more strains (at least in theory :p), but I realize that I'm not really giving the strain a fair shake when I buy only one seed. Phenotypes, the occasional bunk seed... But if you are hearing about tiny, non-germinating Pineapple Chunk seeds from other people, well, that would give me pause. I'd consider waiting a few months for that issue to work itself out. If there is a quality control problem, I assume they will address it; Barney's Farm has a solid rep, but it might take them a little time to get things sorted.

It's funny. I can't help fretting over what I spend on seeds, when, in reality, its the least consequential expense of the grow. That's been the case so far, anyway. Perhaps I'll stop hemorrhaging money someday.

12. #12 pokernaut, Sep 21, 2010
    i'll have to modify my opinion on dutch breeders then as i wasn't aware barney's is dutch, but that he's one of your and others' favorites TKB. thanks for clearing up the few legit banks.i haven't heard many positives from most of the old school banks that i know are dutch. there's some danger in generalizing i guess.

it would be cool if grasscity had a seedbank rating system where everyone can vote for best & worst then sort the results best to worst. it's really a shame that many breeders, just like cash crappers could give a shit about quality & take no pride in their gear & bring the whole scene down. growing for money is the worst reason in the world to do it. everyone should be trying to outdo each other for top quality head stashes. if i ever were to grow for money, not likely, i'd be ashamed to sell anything of lesser quality than i'd be willing to smoke myself. i couldn't call a shitty cash crap sticky indica rock nugget dank with a straigt face unless it was for a med user with insomnia or hyperactivity.

hopefully this thread might steer 1 or 2 growers away from "the dark side" LOL

i didn't mean seedbanks (sellers of seeds) either but breeders, the people who make the seeds. most of the seeds i've purchased have been from the UK, (gypsy & doc) and i have no issues with them. i have no personal axes to grind with ANY breeder except vancouver island seed company.

13. Couldn't agree more pokernaut on all your points! Dutch seedbanks have gone down the shithole in the last 10 years and have ended up selling scwhag genetics.

KC Brains = always sucked from day one.

Auto flower = for brainless noobs.

14. Credit card companies will not approve processing for marijuana seed vendors where seed sales are illegal. Credit card transactions also leave a paper trail from the buyer to the seller - not a smart idea. If you're too lazy to printout a form and mail a money order or cash then you risk having your credit card getting hacked/stolen ala Attitude blunders and may find someone in China just bought an iPad with your CC. :wave:

15. Couldn't agree more!

16. I won't ever use Greenhouse again from personal experience. A lot of people have been really talking down on sagamartha seeds as well but I have two double bubbleberrys that turned out beautiful. I plan on making a mother out of the two sprouts I have. So I guess each to their own. Thankfully I have stuck to the already reputable breeders so I don't have much to complain about except for my Greenhouse experience and friends with similar complaints.

17. hijack nothing! i created this thread so that the TRUTH can be told about all breeders. anything anyone adds is the entire purpose of this topic. i'm learning that not everything is as cut and dry (pun intended heh heh heh...) as it seems. if there are dutch breeders that aren't greedy bastids, let the light of truth shine on them. apologies to barney's for my ignorance of his being dutch because dude has a solid rep for delivering the goods. i thought barney was a north american.

yes, weed is illegal in the UK, netherlands and canada, but those countries aren't fanatical about enforcing the laws as is the US which has tried to extend is corporate ass kissing beyond it's jurisdiction into canada. remember, weed isn't illegal for any other reason than to protect the interests of evil corporations like dow chemicals, phillip morris, anheiser bush, along the pharmaceutical, cotton & paper industries etc. even when citizens speak out and vote, they're cancelled out by the fed scumbags who openly take bribes from industries threatened by this absolutely harmless plant that only benefits the world and that was not only grown by our founding father, but was possibly what the very first american flag was made of.

for what it's worth, i read a story somewhere, cannabible probably, about white widow. it reported that whoever popularized it secretly stole a cutting from a rival's cannabis cup display plant. sadly, at the business level, weed breeders are just as corrupt as all of the vile detestable scum that conspire to not only rob us casuals our pursuit of happiness but that also rob those with legit medical needs medicines that actually work without the fucking side affects of the shit pharmaceutical companies pedal not to cure shit, but to keep customers coming back for more like junkies. the entire corporate world needs to have it's head pulled out through it's fucking asshole only sheep are too stupid to ever see how big business is out to fuck them over every way possible. just try reading any of project censored's top 25 lists! more than half of the stories are about big business fucking you over! that whole "liberal media" mantra of the republican party is a crock of shit! big business own the media which will NEVER bite the hand that feeds it.

am i hijacking my own thread for a political rant now? LOL it's all good. let everyone say whatever they've got to at the moment. so what if the conversation digresses? since when should a bunch of stoners ever be expected to stay focused on anything for more than 10 seconds?

i don't think that weed would have become extinct had the hash smokers of the netherlands started crossing sativas with indicas. maybe there wouldn't be as many growers as there are now, but there always would have been a demand for getting high as well as entrepreneurs willing to deliver it. sadly, almost all of the greedy bastids jumped on the quick & easy bandwagon, but if you read cannabible, there are still plenty of growers out there taking pride in their gear and growing all kinds of killer sativas you've never even heard of. many of those too are motivated by greed though and hoarde their strains. that's why the world will never see true alaskan thunderfuck ever again for example and why many strains are cuttings only.

i've got issues with greed everywhere it exists. wherever you have a greedy piece of shit, you have someone else getting fucked over, plain and simple. weed should transcend that as it inspires positive vibes for the most part. i used to fantasize about giving away IBL sativa seeded bud so people could either see that the shit they're paying $100 a quarter for or more is a fucking ripoff that will never get them high and/or they ditch their greedy bastid dealers and DIY superior bud, but have since learned that a lot of people actually like that vile putrid shit as well as the fact most people are stupid ass go with the flow sheep. when a marijuana reform party was on the ticket for MINOR offices in the county of half a million i lived in, fucking only THIRTY SEVEN of us voted for a better world! fucking A! if you tell me that only 37 people per 500 thousand tokes, i'll call you a fucking liar! lazy apathetic sheep! that's why weed is illegal and greedy scum get away selling pure crap at insane prices. in general, i'd rather NOT smoke than put up with some asshole causing me the tiniest bit of drama on my dime. if i had a nickel for every dealer i've told to go fuck themselves, i could buy a mexican commercial sack ca. 1995!

18. I dont like dutch passion one bit, dinafem ehhh ok. Had a hermie on their blue fruit, and a monster out of their critical haze. Had a great couchy stone on the c. haze but the flavor was just ok, very plain mj flavor.

19. #19 Alatar, Sep 21, 2010
    I don't doubt that there are barriers. The UK companies that I have dealt with appear to have surmounted them, but financial controls may be tighter in Canada.

That is true.

I take that risk whenever I shop online for anything.

It's not laziness. When I see a web site with all the strain descriptions on one page, with a separate page that lists all the prices (symptomatic of static pages, no database), with no real online order processing, I realize that I am looking at a marginal business, that my money order, when it arrives, may be that night's beer money. That's not the vibe that I want to feel when I'm plunking down money. If the banjo music from deliverance is playing in my head when I'm on your web site, the sale isn't going to get made.

EDIT: Well, that plus laziness.

20. interesting thread

I'm growing The Church at the moment, and so far shes doing great. I'm almost two weeks into flowering.