Seed experts, i need your help!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by skydog, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Hi everyone,

I have recently been given 4 nice seeds from my cousin ( who is a grower in BC) and I dont quite have a place to grow yet.. I'm thinking of waiting till next spring and starting a little outdoor grow. Also, I've got like 12-16 seeds that came out of my friends weed he got.. its great looking bud, smokes good.. but theres loads of seeds, all on the greenish brown/ dark brown stripes colour and what not lol. So they do look very healthy..

My question is, How long will i be able to store my seeds before they go old? and maybe the chances of germination go way down ? Its just the beginning of winter here and i want to plant them next spring.. think they will last that long?? (im preying they do)

As of now, they are wrapped tightly in a ziplock bag, stored in a tin can in my stash chair lol, environment is dark and normal temp.. little on the cool side because it is winter out.. damn! heh.

peace dudes, hope i can get some good seed experts in here.

thanks!

2. the best time is within a year or two, but i've heard of people sprouting 10 year old seeds. sadly, my 10+ year old bag seeds weren't popping.

don't try to judge a seed's health by it's looks. seeds range widely in size and color. some of the best strains start out as tiny immature looking seeds. i have a mixed sativa strain like that. once those little puppies took root though they took off like wildfire.

do you live in an area with decent summer weather and good places for stealth growing?

i see outdoor grows as much riskier as they're out in the open, prone to robbery and critters, you have to keep visiting them and you're subject to weather conditions.

many people do indoor grows in little hollowed out cabinets. i think they're called T 10s. is there a reason you can't do indoor? you can do alot with a standard closet. or modify cabinets and dressers etc. if you're the DIY sort. the only downside is indoor grows are more expensive because of lighting.

3. hey pokernaut, thanks for the great info posted.

I'm in canada, weather during summer is actually great for growin outdoor.. surprisingly damp/humid and very hot sun! last year i germinated a few seeds and put them ontop of this hill nearby my house.. grew great, sun moved nicely around them at all times and i stashed a little water bottle with some water with nutrients i have.. worked great. BUT i failed to realize that the government always cuts the grass.. :p chopped my babies up haha.

I dont really have a place yet, thats the difficult part. I MAY be able to grow indoors, i have everything i need to grow indoors, including a closet with a rigged up fan, black and white poly sealing the doors and walls and a 450 watt light bulb with a full aroma formula nutrient program. Just not 100% if i can do it indoor, im not living on my own yet so i dont want to take any sort of risks here.

4. ah yes... roomates etc. can be a pain and a half. if it were possible to reasonably secure your room, it is possible to get super stealthy with indoor grows! i've seen people convert trash cans, vending machines, cabinets and cardboard boxes in a closet into grow rooms.

canada is alot better for an outdoor grow for sure. if nothing else though, i'd start seeds a little early indoors before putting them out as i imagine it gets cold fast there late in the season.

if you'd like a nice stealthy outdoor trick, try staking your plants down sort of like SCROG style. i once stumbled into a field where i could totally smell skunk and i'm not talking about the 4 legged kind either. i wandered around that field for 1/2 and hour trying to find a couple buds to no avail! LOL i DID trip over a few fake tie downs, but never found the source of the odor that gave me the erection.

i bet the plants didn't show up much better from the air as they probably looked like vines. if the plants were growing in a mow zone, you could probably stay under the blade tying down if it's a standard 8" or so roadside mow easily. as big as canada is, you could probably find a better and more secluded site if you looked harder.

i wish the evil tobacco and alcohol bribers... i mean lobbyists would just back the fog off and let weed be legalized like it should. but then they wouldn't get any money as everyone would grow their own for next to nothing!

5. Seeds can remain viable for years if stored in a cool, dry, dark place. I put mine in a plastic film canister (you remember film, don't you?) and stick them in the back of a closet.

6. haha great.

well pokernaut i might possibly be able to grow indoors just gotta speak to a few people, also even if i grow indoor i will plant some outdoors next spring as well and i may take your advice on starting the seedlings indoors then switchin outdoors because of the way seasons work here.. little shorter summer. So ill just need a perfect place, which i have lots of time to find :) lotsa nice placed around here i bet.

take it easy, ill eventually do a grow log when i get this all up and running :) thanks for the great info dudes!

7. sprouting indoors is easy and cheap. all you need is a flourescent shoplight. i've actually grown under nothing BUT shoplights so far. you'd be surprised at just how good LEAF can be when you pluck it when it's new.

i just did that with all of the commercial seeds i've bought recently but by the time i added (lien huanh X A11g) X A11g to my collection, everything else was getting too rootbound and stressed to flip into flowering. still, it was nice to get 2-3 one hitters a day after years of being smoke free. i have a tendancy to tell indica BS selling leaches to go fock themselves the second they start copping an attitude with me or jerking me around. i have terrible impulse control issues and having actual weed in my closet is just too dang tempting! LOL

i just cleared all of my strains except C99 splash out and will start all over with everything once i acquire another strain or two. i'm ditching the pure indica kush freebies doc sent me so everything i'm growing will be at least 50:50.

if you do try to grow indoors, definately visit the growroom design forum. if this forum is like the now defunct overgrow one, you'll get a ton of ideas on mega stealthy chambers. i don't have any roomantes any more and am living life in the fast lane with my 4X4 closet! LOL now i just need to reverse the door so i can use the entire space instead of 2/3.

all it really takes to grow is the willpower to overcome all of your obstacles. finishing my lease with snoopy intrusive landlords was my biggest obstacle. now i need to overcome my greed for weed... that, or find another dealer until i get to harvest.

8. Archaeologists have found wheat seeds in Pharaoh´s tombs that have germinated. I have germed MJ seeds that I knew to be at least 32 years old.

9. plants in general are amazing. Too bad Pharoah didnt have a taste for cannabis, it would be interesting to see what kind of bud they smoked in Eqypt back then!

10. who's to say pharoahs DIDN'T smoke weed? there was surely cannabis around in the general vicinity and it HAS been scientifically proven that pharoahs DID ingest SOME drugs when mummies were tested. if memory serves me right, they were doing some sort of extract of the lotus blossom though my memory is vague.

who cares whether the did or not really? we have some of the best strains ever available RIGHT NOW and definately more variety than anyone 2000+ years ago.

i seriously doub't ANY pharoh had access to bubble gum back then. ;)

the method a seed is stored will surely affect it's longevity and i have also seen the reports of the viable flower (i believe) seeds in tombs, but those are different kinds of seeds. they aren't as "nutty" as hemp seeds. i'm pretty sure the seeds you speak of were extremely tiny. regardles... a cool dark chamber is a pretty nice place to store anything.

11. Bottom of the fridge works great (simulates a winter). I recently popped some 15 yo+ bagseed, no problem. So long as they remain dark and dry.

I'm sold on indoor growing now. Go for it! You have year-round harvests, as well as getting to mess with genetics and more besides. In most locales, guerilla growing is a pain.

-mu

12. Youre probably right in that Pharoah could have smoked cannabis, and we have a wide selection of strains today, but I just thought it would be interesting to see what kind of weed they smoked, if a seed was found. (which it wasnt)

I wonder if they crossed strains back then or if they basically planted the equivalent of "bagseed" that was available to them at the time. Id be interested to know if they used Hemp for cloth rope paper etc or if they used sensimillia for cooking/smoking.

It sucks that the history of weed has been ignored by history experts, because it palyed a huge role in world history. The American colonies grew hemp for ship sails and other uses and documents such as the magna carta (around 1215 CE/AD) were written on hemp paper.

13. important? hemp is VERY important in history! the very first AMERICAN FLAG ever was freakin' made out of hemp and our founding father, george washington grew the sacred chronic!!!! that is a FACT. i loved redistrubiting those "i grew hemp!" stamped dollar bills i'd get at the last head shop i purchased from.

there are some histories out there. from what i understand, the emperor has no clothes gets into some of the history, in particular how the EVIL GREEDY CORPORATIONS, namely dow chemicals, played a big part in bribing, i mean lobbying, no i fugging mean BRIBING politicians to outlaw god's gift to the planet because they just came out with synthetic fibers and didn't want the competition from good old tried and true organic hemp rope anymore. don't think for a millisecond that evil and greedy tobacco and alcohol (as well as timber, cotton, & pharmaceutical) industries aren't bribing politicians to keep the COMPETITION illegal! come on! weed is 10,000x safer than ADDICTIVE tobacco and alcohol! there's not a single LOGICAL reason for it to be outlawed other than it's a serious threat to the fuggin' greedy status quo!!!!!! if it was legalized, then EVERYONE could grow their own and the fat bastid corporations couldn't get a slice of the pie. THAT is truly the ONLY threat weed produces... there's no money in it ESPECIALLY because it doesn't enslave consumers with addiction. think about it!!! i'm PROUD to be only one of about FOURTY out of tens if not hundreds of thousands to cast a vote for the marijuana reform party in my county the last time i saw it on a ballot.

as to selective breeding, it pretty much stands to reason that ALL modern IBLs were selectively bred for stature, fiber yield and/or THC profile whether consciously or not. if you want rope... then growing a compact indica isn't the best idea while growing a stretchy sativa isn't the best idea if your access to suitable land is extremely limited. it doesn't surprise me one bit that indicas pretty much evolved in hilly/cold areas where soil is at a premium while sativas flourished in much more fertile equatorial regions.

if you go back in time far enough, all weed has to come from a single common ancestor.

you could always breed your own version of an "egyptian bud" based on strains that evolved closest to the region. the middle east is home to many of the classic strains still in use today from kush hashplants to indian kerala sativas.

i'm still happy that the selectively bred strains we have now are usually better than the IBLs they arose from. i'm sure no pharoah had even HEARD of cherries, much less tasted a cherrybomb equivalent strain. if anything, the strains were much harsher back then as the genepools were so limited.

14. wow pokernaut :) some great information posted about about the early cannabis plant! definetly plus rep my friend and thank you all so much for the help!!!

Turns out i am going to be doing an indoor grow during winter here and next spring i shall plant some outside (got a perfect location). The reason i wanna do both indoor and outdoor is just to compare the results, Outdoors i am going to try and grow as organically as possible (even if it produces lower yields i will still be super satisfied :) ) Anyone else try growing organically outside? :) hope no bugs or animals get at the plants though ehhe.

15. i'm considering growing outdoors myself for breeding purposes next year.

just remember... when you're growing, you're not only partaking in the greatest gift nature has to offer, but you're also helping to save the planet by producing oxygen and holding global warming back a tiny bit.

good luck with your grows. both indoor and outdoor each have their own advantages and disadvantages. i like the degree of control you get indoors as well as being close to that healthy green scent.

16. I started growing indoors for the exact same reason!

-mu

17. oh, i'll be breeding indoors too, but i have alot of strains i want to breed and you can only do 1 at a time indoors unless you want to create seperate vegetative and flowering rooms. i just ordered some kali mist and you can darn sure bet i'll be breeding THOSE eventually, but as i'm down to just 3 C99 splash beans, i want to make ALL OF THEM count. besides, i already have several euphoric strains (though nowhere near as energetic as kali i'm sure), but C99 is the trippiest i have i think and that's my favorite quality in sativas. i bet "kali 99" will be an awesome cross. it'll be faster and trippier than kali, but less paranoid than C99. i'm betting that will be some awesome hybrid vigor, but who knows, maybe one of the other strains i've collected will produce something special too. 99 bubbles? power 99?

eventually i want to cross california orange bud with a lemony sativa too. i was originally thinking burmese, but i've recently read reviews that say it's piney and not lemony as i had read earlier and hawaiian sativa, but that isn't as potent and BOTH strains are a pain to locate whereas malawi gold is potent, trippy and lemony. i'd like to try and work out a potent sativa dominant that tastes like orange if i can. let's see what flavor i get with C99. with my luck, it'll end up tasting like peaches. YUCK! i have lemony A11g, but i think that's probably too indy to cross with an indy where i want to turn orange into a sativa.

ah... so many strains and so little time and space.

18. So true!

Your goals sound sweet. A trippy orange Sativa would be right up my street.
    If you get a peach, pass me a seed or two, I'm quite partial to peaches!

-mu

19. hehe thanks!

Just got a few more questions for ya man haha, I have been told that 'bagseeds' do not grow as good as boughten seeds am i correct or is this just mumbo jumbo rumours im hearing? Also what do you think i will yield per each plant (from bagseeds) indoors? I plan on using a 450 watt HPS and growing 2 or 3 plants inside of a cabinet lined with black and white polyester.

Do you think i will produce more if i use the LST method?.. im reading into it but im not sure if i should do it for my first grow lol.. seems a little tricky!

i appreciate the help so much! thanks man.

20. yes and no... bagseed typically indicates half assed homegrown of unkown pedigree, but you CAN get some nice beans out of a bag. i once had a gram of spicy sativa bud with just two seeds that was awesome. i wouldn't be surprised if it was kali mist as the KM i smoked a year or two later was very similar. bear in mind... EVERYTHING you smoke started out as bag seed.

the thing with bagseed is that the quality varies so much and is fairly random unless you KNOW what the bud it came from was like as well as how much weaker it's been made from abuse. at least SOME amount of bagseed comes from someone who gets some killer seeded bud and says to themself, "this sheet is awesome! i want more!" even stomped all over, you can tell that "mexcom" has potential if treated right. simply harvesting too late alone can turn an energetic strain into a generic couchlocking one as the THC degrades. yield will depend greatly on genetics. the only way to KNOW is to TEST. in my opinion... the higher you raise yield (read the more indica you go), the lower the quality (read higher couchlock) you get. i'll take a low yielding sativa EVERY TIME!

if you're just starting out growing... test your bagseed just to learn the ropes. sadly, that's what i TRIED to do, but my stock was so old, virtually nothing except recent spacey hybrids would pop. that's when i decided to take the next step and purchase beans out of necessity. i FINALLY got out of an apartment with super nosy and intrusive landlords just so i could grow and start smoking again. i've missed getting high the last 23 years!!! keep EVERY new bagseed you come accross and ESPECIALLY label them all clearly... flavor, type of high, potency, quality of cure etc.

i once took a couple of EVERY bagseed i had 10 years ago, alot of different mexican commercial brick samples aquired from $5 nicks to stinky castor oil packed quarters collected coast to coast as well as at least one straight up skunky indica with many hybrids in between and the daily leaflet trim i was getting under 2 flourescent shoplights was better that almost every bud i've smoked except thai, kali mist & durban poison. ZERO couchlock!

it broke my heart when the plants eventually stressed out from the constant pruning and died and losing those two precious seeds i named "spicy".

you will almost always get buds that are better than what you smoked from bagseed unless they came from carefully grown, bred and cured weed. the thing that was holding the 'mexcom' back was being so mistreated... being grown in low quality soil & degrading in fermenting hot piles of plants as they dry in the sun in particular.

trust me... you'd LOVE my bagseed ;)

then again, i'm only going to grow nice sativas, treat them like royalty, and breed them on purpose.

i'm thinking that kali mist X C99 splash will be an awesome strain. it will be less paranoid and more euphoric than C99 but with an quicker harvest time and be trippier high than kali mist. the combination of spicy red pepper flavor with pineapple might be nice too.

as to peach... YUCK! i'd hate to get that result. if you're looking for a nice peachy bud, look into burmaberry. i've been told it's very nice up social weed.

to me, bitter is the most disgusting of flavors. i hate berries (except sweeter and more tropical tasting ones like strawberries & maraschino cherries) and think licorice is vulgar. if you like licorice, you'd LOVE durban poison.