I had about 40 seeds just laying around so I decided to go try to grow them outside near my house...was wondering what I can do to improve my chances of having atleast one of them making it. Any advice is appreciated I have a basic knowledge of growing but im sure some of you can educate me.
To add to this the seeds are all mixed from random kush to middies so i'm not sure it that matters...
Well you are in the security thread so I assume you want security so I will give you some outdoor security tips.
I am really big on security, I was in the military and most of my family are or were at one point law enforcement, on that note I thought I would share some security tips for growing outdoors. If you have never grown outdoors I suggest giving this a quick read through. While nothing is guaranteed following these rules will significantly lessen your chances of getting caught or hurt. This is geared towards small growers as well, the logistics of a large grow make some of these tips unworkable.
1) I would keep your grow site at least 2 miles from any home or business. Even if you are only growing a couple of plants. Hunters are often offered rewards for turning in found grows so stay away from game and hiking trails as well as camp sites. Growing right on the edge of a rivers, creeks, or lakes is not recommended as those are popular areas for hikers, hunters, and fishermen as well as fish and game officers.
2) Try not to let people see you going to and from your grow site - a car parked on the on the side of the road weekly can attract attention quickly - a cop will wonder why same car parks in the same area on the edge of the woods weekly.
3) Blend in - dress for hiking, camping, hunting - try to keep anything you need in a hiking pack, don't let anybody see you toting grow equipment into the forest.
4) Don't take your cell phone to your grow site - if you get a call it can possibly register your location and be used as evidence against you.
5) Put duct tape on the bottom of your shoes so you don't leave footprints, those can be used as evidence against you.
6) Also if possible wear a mask when approaching and working your grow site, law enforcement will use game cameras to catch the owner of a site that was found. Cover any distinctive markings or tattoos.
7) Maintain situational awareness - On the way up to your grow site stop periodically on the way to your grow site, watch and listen if you are being tracked you will hear them. You can detour if you are pretty sure you are being followed, you can come back later or even another day.
8) Know the area before starting your grow, have a good idea of how often people walk around the area, know several ways in and out of your grow site and of course some way to remember where your grow site is without leaving a trail and without incriminating yourself (having maps or GPS in your possession with your grow site marked on it is a VERY bad idea)
9) Beware of helicopters and light aircraft, keep your eyes to the sky when driving to and from your grow site, look up often when at your grow site if you spot aircraft that are loitering above you on the way to your grow site just chill under some trees till they go away - watch for them to come back though. If you think you have been spotted by aircraft at your grow site bug out to cover - make sure you stay hidden in dense vegetation and move away from your grow site - only return to your vehicle or home when you are sure they are gone.
(note: don't do this for every thing you see in the sky - but if you are in the middle of nowhere and a light airplane or a helo is hovering over you then you should at least be aware of their presence)
10) When you approach your grow site stop as you are just barely in sight of it, then circle around your grow site looking for anything out of place, this will prevent you from being surprised at your grow site and you will have a chance to spot game cameras set up to catch you or stake outs.
11) Leave nothing, not even footprints. Take all of your garbage out with you and dispose of it in a place far from your grow site AND house.
12) Anything that stays at the grow site (which should be as little as possible) will need to be a natural color (buckets, fencing/netting) nothing sticks out like a white bucket or a bright orange plastic fencing. Don't grow plants in rows or patterns - these are easily spotted from above.
13) Also if you use buckets then wear gloves when handling them and anything that stays at the grow site that can hold a print.
14) Don't grow on your own property, that ties a grow straight to you.
15) Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to and from your grow, in the woods things get really dark really quickly, if you plan on doing anything at night in the woods then you need to know the area like the back of your hands and then I still don't recommend it.
16) Know your local animals and vegetation, if there are bears in your area it may be be a good idea to have mace on you. Know how to identify poisonous snakes and plants (such as poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac)
17) If you have a good dog take it with you - dogs are great early warning system for trouble, just make sure it will not attract attention (barking at everything) and cover any droppings the dog leaves.
18) Know your rights, if you have incriminating items on your person know your rights such as right to refuse a search.
19) Don't be too predictable, change up when you show up at your grow a bit - be hard to track down and take different routes to and from your grow.
20) And the cardinal rule - TELL NOBODY ABOUT YOUR GROW.
Well that is all i can think of for now if anybody has anything else to add feel free. Stay safe stoners.