Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bad butane hash?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by borked, May 4, 2010.

1. I got this butane hash OIL it looks like tar. Smells like schwag and tastes of strong BUTANE. From what I know about butane extraction, the butane will evap in 20mins so this ish is safe to smoke right? I am assuming he used el cheapo butane and maybe not filtered so well...but all in all safe to smoke? Y/N?

2. blue
    berry
    muffins

3. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

4. does it taste like sulfur? if so u prolly cant get that out, but if its of actual butane, pour it all out on some pyrex under a pot of hot water (not boiling) and stir it around a bit, try to even thicken it up by whipping it.

5. some weirdos will use acetone to make oil.. it might not be butane at all

6. sounds like you got the 2nd (or 3rd) run crap from some fan leaves or something similar. Throw that shit out, don't even bother trying to re-purge small amounts like that. Tell your buddy to stop making janky schwag oil.

7. people who don't know how to properly make oil, should not be selling it.

8. . . . and mother fucking .

9. QFT, I wont even touch BHO thats not honey/clear in color.

10. or making it at all, for that matter :p

11. Indeed. It is always staggering to me how someone would attempt to make oil without any REAL knowledge of the subject.

To me it seems that some people think you can just buy some butane from a gas station, use any tube, pack it in, and run it. Totally wrong. There are MANY variables to consider if you expect to have a pure and tasty final product.

Before I ever made BHO, I researched the process extensively for months before I felt confident enough to produce my own. The process is extremely easy once you know what to do, but, there is no room for the nieve when it comes to producing oil. This process has the potential to going TERRIBLEY wrong, but if the necessary precautions are taken, there is no need to worry.

Honestly, one just needs to be properly educated on the subject before it is put into practice. Just like anything else in life.

12. look more for bubbles in the oil than at the color when detecting butane,a good old fashioned sniff works good to ;) I purge my bho past being honey/clear and whip it into a light yellow wax or budder. I prefer a stable product over instable, its just easier to work with.. most of the time anyways. Somtimes you can purge it so dry it just crumbles and its impossible to get on a pin for skillet rips.

13. What makes you think that budder is more stable than shatter oil? I think its kind of the other way around. Or are you talking in terms of the consistency of the oil being more stable, I.E. easier to handle?

you'll see if you have shatter oil and dont touch it for 2 weeks, it will likely (though not always) start to budder. This tells me that budder is actually less stable than the shatter oil because it seems to degrade into that.

14. #14 Seanyne, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
    Hey but I admit Ive done some bad things making butane, just dont be too dumb about it.. Been up at big bear snowboarding, made some bho in my hotel/cabin (<-- BAD)over the window by the jacuuzi full of water just incase i needed to jump into it... lol? used some no name butane.. (<--- BAD.. but it passed the mirror test) macgyver'd an aluminum maglight into an extractor.. (<-- BAD!!) lol but it came out tastey and i wouldnt have had any hashy goodness that whole weekend if i had not.. Im not a big weed smoker, just doesnt do the trick for me :smoking:

edit: Ya I meant stability in terms of being able to handle emoh. Its actually just alot faster to whip oil up into a wax than go for glass, i dunno atleast for me. ive never really made a solid glass. enlighten me :p but ive had it.. and it find it to be like... a jolly rancher.. I cant believe how many times ive gone to break off a piece onto a dental tool for a skillet rip and had it break off and shoot across the room lol.

15. Do what you got to. Just be safe!

Quality butane is perhaps the most important aspect to quality oil IMO. If you dont have good butane you CANNOT have good oil.

16. Just so you know, butane hash WILL change its texture and color based on your drying/curing method. I make it with one of those original honey bee oil extractors, and the result is a very transparent layer gold colored hash. If you let the butane evaporate for a few days instead of a few hours, when you scrape it off its almost completely powder. But not all of it evaporates away, so I always have some goo. If you just let it sit in a jar, even as a powder, it will start to solidify, and become a darker amber color. It ends up looking black, but really its just amber colored.

Just cause its made with butane doesn't mean that it its gonna be an clear oil. The potency, color, and texture depend on how long you dry, how pure the butane is, and how fine the screen/filter is in your extractor. Using better weed will just get you a bigger yeild. Butane extracts the THC regardless. You really don't want a straight up oil IMO, because the more oily it is, the higher its butane percentage. I'm all about that powder.

17. also wasnt comparing wax/budder to shatter, shatter is definitely really SOLID. and can be handled easily, just warm it up a bit before u go digging into it. I was talkin bout some classic bho where it sticks to your hands and makes a big mess if u touch it. I like something i can pick up.

18. Given what you describe I'd just throw it away. I wouldn't smoke that shit. It doesn't have to be clear but if it's black, tarry, and smells of butane it was a bad run.

19. #19 Emohokaywhy, May 5, 2010
    I see where your coming from Volcano, but let me know if this makes more sense.

20. #20 Emohokaywhy, May 5, 2010
    not only was it a bad run. It was also improperly made.

bad runs are a result of

#1. miseducation/ignorance. (too bad miseducation isn't a word, the irony)
    #2. TERRIBLE starting product.

sounds like the oil referred to in the OP has suffered #1 and #2 while being produced.