Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Djarum Black Clove cigarettes (A Review)

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Project_DARK, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Djarum Blacks (A review)

[SIZE=-2]The most popular subbrand of Djarum cigarettes (internationally at least), Djarum Black, is sold in black and original packaging. Each cigarette is rolled in black paper. They are sold in flat, skinny packs of twenty cigarettes, rows of ten across and two deep (as are nearly all other internationally sold Djarum products). The package bears an embossed Djarum gramaphone stylus logo, and a stylized red "A" in the word "Black". Blacks are a medium potency cigarette, comparable with "Medium" flavor cigarettes of many other common brands like Marlboro, though their tastes are dissimilar, attributable to the Asian "Srintil" versus American tobacco and the addition of cloves. By weight, cloves make up about 40% of the cigarette, the remaining 60% being tobacco. The filter of Blacks are coated in a spiced "sauce", flavored with spices native to the region; mainly the taste is of clove, cardamom, and cinnamon; the "sauce" is also rather sweet. Blacks are packed much tighter than most American brands of cigarettes, and tend to be hard to draw from for the first few drags. They also have a tendency to go out if not drawn from regularly, an effect that is exaggerated if the user packs the cigarettes prior to use. An additional effect of tight packing is the propensity for Blacks to burn 1/4-1/3 longer than more common brands, though this is of course dependant on the individual smoker as well.[/SIZE]

=THE USE OF CLOVES=

[​IMG]

Kretek cigarettes use cloves to add a special flavor to the smoke that is inhaled.
    also added is the "special sauce" that flavores the filter so thet when put on lips it leaves behind a pleasant honey like taste.

The manufactures of clove cigarettes is incredibly process in several place in Indonesia, kretek contain not just only domestic quality tobaccos but use variation such as clove, nutmeg, flavoring and a mysterious sauce. Clove cigarette manufactures by special fragrance pleasure from typical Indonesian cultural and traditions. where in the early 1881, kretek cigarette use for healing and thought to help asthma and some ethnic for worship to the God, with this invention make clove cigarette popular in market and nearly 1990 several successful tobacco companies in Indonesia start to commercialize the cigarettes of kretek to the world.

=Legal Status=

In the United States, kreteks have been the subject of legal restrictions and political debate, including a proposed 2004 US Senate bill that would have prohibited cigarettes from having a "characterizing flavor" of certain ingredients other than tobacco and menthol. A study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control found kreteks account for a relatively small percentage of underage smoking, and their use was declining among high school students. Critics of the bill argued that support of the bill by the large U.S. tobacco maker Philip Morris, which makes only conventional and menthol cigarettes, indicated that the bill was an attempt to protect the company from competition.
    Some U.S. states, including Utah, New Mexico, and Maryland, have passed laws that prohibit the sale of kreteks. On 14 March 2005, Philip Morris International announced the purchase of Indonesian tobacco company PT HM Sampoerna after acquiring a 40% stake in Sampoerna from a number of Sampoerna's principal shareholders

=Structure and Ingredients=

The quality and variety of tobacco play an important role in kretek production. One kretek brand can contain more than 30 types of tobacco. Minced dried clove buds weighing about 1/3 of the tobacco blend are added. This new blend is then flavored with a “sauce”. Kept strictly confidential by many kretek manufacturers, the recipes for these special sauces contain various fruit and spice essences as well as numerous natural aromas. The last process which machine-made or hand-rolled kreteks go through is the spraying of saccharine all over the cigarette.

=Health effects=

Djarum Black cigarettes sold in United States, Europe, Canada and South American countries have 10–12mg tar and 1mg nicotine, as indicated on the pack. This level of tar and nicotine is comparable to the majority of other regular or "full-flavor" cigarettes available. However, Djarum Black cigarettes produced for consumption in Indonesia contain a significantly higher quantity of Tar and Nicotine, 25mg and 1.6mg respectively. In Canada, Djarum Black cigarettes are listed as containing 42.2–76mg of tar and 1.88–3.39mg of nicotine, a significant amount more than most other cigarettes.

The venous plasma nicotine and carbon monoxide levels from 10 smokers were tested after smoking kreteks and were found to be similar to non-clove brands of cigarettes, such as Marlboro.

Rats were given equal inhalation doses of conventional tobacco cigarettes and kreteks over a short period. Those that had inhaled kreteks did not appear to show worse health effects compared to those that had inhaled conventional cigarettes. The study was repeated with a 14-day exposure and kreteks again did not produce worse health effects than conventional cigarettes.

The eugenol in clove smoke causes a numbing of the throat which can diminish the gag reflex in users, leading researchers to recommend caution for individuals with respiratory infections.[10] There have also been a few cases of aspiration pneumonitis in individuals with normal respiratory tracts possibly because of the diminished gag reflex. Researchers recommend that people who have an allergy to cloves should avoid kreteks.

History

The origin of kretek cigarettes traces to the late 19th century. The creator of kretek was one Haji Jamahri, a native of the town of Kudus in Indonesia's Central Java region. Suffering from chest pains, Haji Jamahri attempted to reduce the pain by rubbing clove oil on his chest. Jamahri sought a means of achieving a deeper relief and smoked his hand-rolled cigarettes after adding dried clove buds. According to the story, his asthma and chest pains vanished immediately. Word of Jamahri's discovery spread rapidly among his neighbors, and clove cigarettes soon became available in pharmacies under the name of rokok cengkeh – clove cigarettes. Although first discovered as a medicinal product, kreteks became widely popular outside this capacity.
    In those years, the locals used to hand-roll kreteks to sell on order without any specific brand or packing. A resident of Kudus called Nitisemito had the idea of starting serial production and selling kreteks under a proprietary brand name. Unlike other manufacturers, Nitisemito who first created the Bal Tiga brand in 1906 enjoyed great success by implementing unprecedented marketing techniques such as using embossed packs or offering free-of-charge promotional materials.
    Furthermore, he also developed a production system which was called the abon system and which offered great opportunities for other entrepreneurs without enough capital. In this system, a person called as “abon” assumes the job of delivering finished products to the company which pays the price of piecework done whereas the company is liable to supply the necessary production materials to the “abons”. However, most manufacturers have since opted to have their workers working under the roof of their own factories, to maintain quality standards. Nowadays, only a few kretek manufacturers make use of the abon system.
    During the period from 1960 until 1970, kreteks became a national symbol against “white cigarettes”. In mid 1980's, the amount of machine-produced cigarettes exceeded the amount of hand-rolled ones. As one of the largest income sources of Indonesia, the kretek industry comprises 500 large and small manufacturers as well as 10 million employees.

Overall Rating - (8.5 out of 10)
    Smokeability - (9.2 of 10)
    Repeat smokability - (6.5 of 10*)

* gets sickening after awhile (too sweet)

(May cause brief dizziness)

------------------------------------------------------------

:wave: Thanks for reading!! :wave:

~Josh :smoke:

2. djarum blacks are dank.

3. I always smoke one after a bowl and they FUCK me up. Make you have a headrush heavy and taste so good. I like em

4. i know i have a thread some where else but does anyone know where they sell them

5. good read man, these are my favorite brand of cloves, so it's good to know all this info on what i'm smoking :hello:

and i have to agree, they're great after a bowl :smoke:

6. Fuck em'. I hate those things so much. Taste like.........something........i dunno where i'm goin' with this at all. and i'm gonna stop typing now..

7. My favorite brand of cigarettes.

8. i usually buy mine in bodegas that carry a wide range of tobacco products, I've hunted for them a few times and have come up empty. Gas stations dont usually carry em.

9. Cloves are illegal in Maryland...

10. yeah, i usually always find them at cigar/tobacco stores

11. The first 3 were good, then they got gross.

12. well, I get them at the tobacco den in my hometown otherwise order them from the website!

13. yeah, too sweet. but I find myself somehow craving them...... :confused:

14. Those are delicious. I buy a pack of them every few months just for the pleasure of a smooth, tasty smoke. I don't smoke regular cigarettes, really.

15. Oh man, I love those things. They're like smoking candy. Had to take a break from them for a while because I started smoking them more than my regular cigs, and it was getting too expensive.

Damn good to smoke while blazing... I love the taste the filter leaves on your lips.

16. About 5 years ago, my friends and I loved them, now if i even so much as smell one my stomach turns(this is coming from a pack and a half a day smoker.) Something about the smell, flavor and crackling i just cant stand

17. Used to pick those up all the time. Great taste and they look sweet but the filter turns more yellow than other cigs, and they are on the pricey side (8 bucks)

18. More than 2 at a time is really nasty, but I really like them. Easily the best cigarette in my opinion.

Then again, I smoke a low number of cigarettes.

19. During my smoking days I'd buy a pack of these for every 5 or so packs of regular cigs I'd get, because as others have said they can seem too sweet after a while.
    That being said...great once-in-a-while smoke, nice conversation starter, classy as fuck, and perfect after a sesh. Djarum Splash are nice as well, and my favorite kretek of all, though hard to find, are the Djarum Black Tea.

20. I really like them, they are delicious : )

I recommend people to try their other ones like Splash and Bali Hai !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.