Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

New Marijuana Bill - Barney Frank's HR. 5843

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Brassman27, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Hey everyone. Just thought I'd spread the news that congressman Barney Frank (D-Mass) has been on our side ever since this "war on drugs" has been failing. Tomorrow, wednesday, Barney Frank will be holding a press conference to discuss his new bill which, if enacted, would decriminalize up to 100 grams of marijuana! Music to my ears!

Here's a short article:
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) and representatives of organizations supporting reform of marijuana laws will hold a press conference on Wednesday to discuss Frank's “Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008.” The bill, H.R. 5843, would remove federal criminal penalties for personal possession of up to 100 grams of marijuana or the nonprofit transfer of up to an ounce of marijuana. It would not change federal statutes forbidding cultivation, import, export or for-profit sale of marijuana.
    WHAT: Press conference to discuss H.R. 5843.
    WHO: U.S. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.); Rob Kampia, Marijuana Policy Project; Bill Piper, Drug Policy Alliance; Allen St. Pierre, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.
    WHEN: Wednesday, July 30, 10:00 a.m (ET).
    WHERE: Room 2220, Rayburn House Office Building.

:hello: Just thought you all should know what the latest news on capitol hill about cannabis is.

2. I would be surprised if this even passed the House.

3. I dont give a shit what the "new" news on capital hill is...

....until the mass of the nation comes together to demand a reform to this injustice, NOTHING will change. But, even failed bills are better than nothing I guess.

4. I don't care about the government either, I know they are full of it. But hey, we have to live with it, might as well keep updated on the cannabis issues.

5. sounds good, wish I could be there!

..you see the ONDCP's trying to get in first by releasing the "2008 Marijuana Sourcebook" today?

basically they're trying to defend the prohibition and influence voting before Rep. Frank can give his press conference. Not surprising for an organization that's legally bound to "take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize" marijuana (link)

The DEA and ONDCP are pure scum. They don't care about the misery they cause as long as their jobs are safe! :mad:

6. Barney Frank does have a very tough uphill battle coming at him soon, but who knows, maybe he is a really good speaker who can convince a large majority of the population who are uninformed or don't believe in the DEA and ONDCP trash propaganda.

7. Barney and Ron Paul should tag-team this bitch.

Any effort in spreading cannabis awareness is positive effort. It's just a matter of time- sooner or later- until this old-hat blasphemous way of thinking is reformed.

8. This should pass the house lol, how much money and how much support does the gov. want to pass this cause I will pay it lol

^And yea that would be sick if Barney and Ron Paul double teamed this bill, imagine if RP was tha prez...and let this pass lol that would b sick

9. He just has to convince legislators, this'll be a vote within congress, not the general public.

Problem is many of the legislators either believe the general public wants them to be "tough on drugs" or they can't support relaxing the prohibition due to their own religious/moral principals.

10. Thats why its bullshit that we have to wait for all the old foggies in legislation to reach their natural ends before something might change.

11. It is bullshit, but there's nothing else that can happen.

12. imagine what it would be like to be able to smoke a bowl walkin down the street in front of a cop...thats the day im waitin for

13. Exactly, but its like voting....if youre over the age of 18, you have the RESPONSIBILITY to speak up, its gonna take all of us. If every single person in america where to vote for or against legalization or even decrem, do you think it would still be an issue? no because everybody KNOWS but nobody can ACT.

14. true that. good point man

15. Hallelujah we are free at last, we are free at last.:hello:

16. haha.. I've sat at a table outside a coffeeshop in Amsterdam with people walking past not 2 feet from me, and smoked the herb. Two cops walked past so close I could've reached out and touched them, they didn't care less about the weed ..just kept right on walking. That's the way it should be! ..and one day in this country that's the way it will be.

17. this is great. we need more to come out like this

18. really hope this bill passes...thatd be so sweet:smoking:

19. Ron Paul is a co-sponsor of this bill. :)

20. I have a feeling this will be filibustered for years/voted down by a wide margin due to ignorance and stubbornness. In the unlikely event that it does pass though, I'll have a bowl ready!

EDIT: To my understanding, this will just be discussed tomorrow (July 30) not voted on yeah?