Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question for my girlfriend

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Ganoo, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Any serious answers would be great, my girlfriend quit toking because she is pregnant and the welfare doc drug tests on every visit.

Anyway, she asked me today to do some research about whether smoking will do anything to the baby if she breast feeds.

I don't have much time to spend on the Internet so I figured this was the best place to ask. I know this type of thing is right up storm crow's alley if someone could point her towards this thread.

Thanks all.

2. Yeah I'm pretty sure granny posted something about this, and I'm pretty sure it said smoking while pregnant was fine. I don't have a link though.. maybe someone else could help with that

3. [quote name='"ddoublevision"']Yeah I'm pretty sure granny posted something about this, and I'm pretty sure it said smoking while pregnant was fine. I don't have a link though.. maybe someone else could help with that[/quote]

I think she may have said it could be somewhat beneficial actually, but don't quote me on that.

4. Were planning to try for a baby later in the year.
    We've been detoxing. No alcohol (not that we were ever regular drinkers), healthier diet, more frequent visits to the gym so that we'll be at more optimal condition at the time of conception.

DURING pregnancy, well this is something we've looked into pretty extensively.
    There's a lot of different schools of thought...According to one thing I read babies can be quieter and "more content". Another said they were more prone to behavioural/learning difficulties later in life...so it varies quite a bit. There was reports either way for IQ effects as well - but really all of these things are subjective, as comprehensive as they think certain studies are, the representative portions of the population they take into account in said studies isn't *actually* always indicative of the entirety OF cases.

While I don't believe that anything too harmful from weed use during pregnancy, we've chosen not to (well she has - I'm with her for solidarity) because there are evidently some "maybes" and unknown factors involved...it's quite hard to rely upon studies being relevant when so few people will actually admit to marijuana use on account of it's legal status, and perception of those that use during pregnancy.
    As well, there's also the fact that it enters your bloodstream, which the baby is a part of, personally I don't think it's that good an idea to get a fetus stoned, or whatever the comparative effect would be...if they say you shouldn't have it when your brain is still developing well this is certainly a pretty early stage of that.
    So we've decided to just take those factors out of play entirely and just...well...quit during that time.

As for post pregnancy/breast milk...I'm not too sure.
    While THC can stay in the body for a significant amount of time...I'm uncertain as to it's effect in breast milk.
    Perhaps with the supposed health benefits of marijuana, some of the good stuff will come through?
    I wouldn't suggest breast-feeding WHILE actually stoned though...perhaps get a breast pump and extract the milk at times she isn't under the effects?

In your situation though - is this person going to continue being drug tested after the baby is born?
    Because that sounds like fire you don't want to play with.

5. The testing is only while under their care, and that's only while she's pregnant

6. if i was pregnant with my kid, i wouldn't smoke just to be safe

7. Do not smoke while pregnant, it can only cause issues.. THC stores in fat cells.. Milk is fat.. Think about it and be smart..

8. I'd maybe cut back a little after the kid is out, not stop altogether. I can't think of how this would hurt the kid from drinking milk of someone who smokes.

The thc in fat is not active either, the kids not gettin stoned off breast milk. We'd already have a thread if that were true.

9. Ideally, I would say she shouldn't smoke. But if she had to toking every now and then shouldnt have any negatively deep ramifications (Let's say once or twice every few weeks?). What I think would be even better though is if she vapes. How about that? And again, ideally not too often.

10. I don't think she should smoke, ultimately it's up to her but just to be safe, It's for your kid man.

11. Please do that baby(and yourselves)a huge favor & place it for adoption. I'm sure you both are far too young & not financially able to be the type of parents that your child needs, think of the baby & not your own feelings. Adoption is the best!!!

12. Sounds kind of insulting to me, if someone told me this I may be forced to punch them, in the face

13. You don't know anything about him.

14. [quote name='"hoven561"']

Sounds kind of insulting to me, if someone told me this I may be forced to punch them, in the face[/quote]

My thoughts exactly

15. I'm with the people who say she should just play it safe and not smoke at all. Nobody really knows how THC affects a developing fetus.

Also, this is neither here nor there, but getting off of welfare is always a good idea. I've seen lifetime public aid recipients through my job, and it's really not pretty. Do yourself, your girl, your unborn baby and taxpayers a big favor and work hard to support yourself. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to give advice.

16. Not trying to be insulting to anyone, I just feel for small children & babies who have bad home lives. I advocate for adotion as it can help so many kids, hell go out & get a 10 yr old if you have the money & a stable life, they need love & a good life. I said place the bay as it seems from what was said about welfare, drugs, and lack of info & deciding to ask about it here , instead of to a doctor, indicates to me that they may not be in the best place to be parents for quite some time, so place that baby, grow up some, live some life , have fun, then settle down. No one needs to suffer out of obligation. not the child, mother or father, there are choices that can be made that are better than, oh well i F'd up, just gotta live with it.

17. I'm adopted. An honestly I wish more people were put up for adoption. But we don't know enough about the op and his gf to say what you said.

As for the original question: if you have any doubts don't do it. Don't risk the future of your kid on something not very researched

18. I don't think it's worth the risk OP. My girlfriend breastfeeds, and whatever she takes into her body is directly transferred to the baby through her milk.

I've seen women on this site say they smoked while they were pregnant/breastfeeding and their babies were perfectly fine. But OP your girl should just stick with prenatal vitamins, that's the best thing for a baby besides breast milk. If your girlfriend want's to smoke that bad, just give your baby formula, it's still good, just not as good as breastmilk.

19. I'm not sure at all but I would say any drug during pregnancy would have a negative impact on the baby's development.