Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do you recommend people to not smoke until their brain is fully developed?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by lalalie, Jun 2, 2012.

1. I've heard a lot of experienced tokens say to wait until your mid 20's to smoke, because your brain is fully developed by then. I'm 18, and I would like to enter the medical field and have a huge future for myself. So of course this information worries me because I wouldn't like to mess up my brain development from smoking weed at this age. I smoke pretty frequently, too. what do you guys think?

2. #2 Storm Crow, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
    I collect MMJ studies and articles. You need to send me an email hon! (see the bottom of my sig) What I have is invaluable to a budding med student! :smoke:

Chronic Exposure to Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol Fails to Irreversibly Alter Brain Cannabinoid Receptors. (abst - 1991)
    http://medical-journals.healia.com/doc/1649662/Chronic-exposure-to-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-fails-to-irreversibly-alter-brain-cannabinoid-receptors

(I get a smile out of that one's title :D - it sounds like they were SO disappointed! lol)

Lack of hippocampal volume change in long-term heavy cannabis users. (abst - 2005)
    Lack of hippocampal volume change in long-term heavy cannabis users.

A preliminary DTI study showing no brain structural change associated with adolescent cannabis use (full - 2006) http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1524733&tool=pmcentrez

When it comes to alcohol exposure, cannabis acts as a neuroprotectant! :hello:

Effects of Alcohol and Combined Marijuana and Alcohol Use During Adolescence on Hippocampal Volume and Asymmetry (full - 2006) Effects of Alcohol and Combined Marijuana and Alcohol Use During Adolescence on Hippocampal Volume and Asymmetry

White Matter Integrity in Adolescents with Histories of Marijuana Use and Binge Drinking. (abst - 2009)
    http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/ebm/record/19631736/abstract/White_Matter_Integrity_in_Adolescents_with_Histories_of_Marijuana_Use_and_Binge_Drinking_

By 18, you are virtually an adult- the connections in the brain are mostly all made. The early teens (13 - 16) are more problematic- things are still getting hooked up.

And the endocannabinoid system and Omega 3 will be the future of medicine! My List will give you a head start!

Granny :wave:

3. PS- hon, I am all but 65, work in education and have toked since I was 19! I use cannabis daily. I read and collect PubMed studies as a hobby. I am an avid genealogist (over 12,000 names in my family tree) and I have a mess of county fair ribbons that say I am a championship-level quilter. I have had a few news articles published in a big city newspaper.

Toking doesn't seemed to have slowed me down, or dulled my wits!

Granny

4. I'm pretty sure you're brain doesn't stop developing until you die.

5. Your brain isn't fully developed till you smoke weed :p