Koch Brothers Study Confirms Climate Change is Real!

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by weednotcrack, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Climate study, funded in part by conservative group, confirms global warming - CSMonitor.com

New independent climate study confirms global warming is real | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

MinnPost - Don Shelby: Climate skeptic admits he was wrong

On Friday, Muller addressed all global-warming skeptics in the Wall Street Journal by saying, "Now let me explain why you should not be a skeptic, at least not any longer." He went on to explain what BEST[Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project] had found, and how it had found it. He reported the final paper, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, found that the Urban Heat Island argument did not stand up. The data showed that poorly positioned measuring stations showed no greater temperature increases than the better ones.

In other words, the skeptical funders of the study just backed the wrong horse. Charles Koch helped pay for a study that says everything Charles Koch believes in is wrong.

2. no. this paper shows that 2/3rds of the measuring station showed an increase. however - some of this data was taken from badly maintained weather stations, they kept them in the report because the last report that only surveyed fully working stations only had 63 data sets.

a 1/3 of the data showed a decrease in tempterature. and the fact that the little ice age only ended about 100-200 years ago - of course the planet is getting warmer! but as humans we have very little affect on it!

3. #3 Internetz, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
    Everybody knows climate change is happening… they disagree about, to some extent, what's causing it.

4. Yeah, generally opposition is from those who claim humans are not the cause of the change. The vast majority of evidence points to humans, but there is a somewhat reasonable counterargument. That the climate is changing is not up for debate (scientifically, at least).

5. Why did you put an exclamation mark?

It's not something to be excited about. . . :(

6. Two reason. Number one, the Koch Brothers can no longer deny that all the pollution produced from their factories is effecting the climate.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaKm89eVhoE]The Koch Brothers & Their Amazing Climate Change Denial Machine - YouTube[/ame]

And number two, which is kinda selfish reason, I'm currently enrolled in a university to earn a degree in sustainable energy so there is going to be a job for me when I get out and help reverse the effect of climate change.:D

7. I think that the main thing thats causing climate change is the sun.

8. Honestly, if you are not a scientist, your opinion on global warming is meaningless really.

9. People do science in Palmdale now? :eek:

Edit: actually maybe they do. Aren't they turning cactus into a space camp or some shit lmao.

10. Do people seriously think climate change isn't real :eek:

11. Unfortunately, there is a lot of people who don't think climate change is real :(

12. That's fucking weird man, the ice caps are melting, the sea levels are rising, our Ozone layer is fucked and they don't think climate change is real :rolleyes:

It's most likely because they just want to carry on driving there SUV and living life hoping it wont happen in there life time and not giving a fuck about the future.:(

Ignorance is bliss.

13. #15 nolastnamex, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2011
    haha, disproven by someone they back..funny as fuck.

14. I always thought when people said they "think climate change/global warming is a scam" they were referring to man's involvement or impact on it, not disagreeing that the climate is changing. Fuck.

15. #17 Thunderstruck, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
    and this is the problem

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZzwRwFDXw0]9. Climate Change - Meet the Scientists - YouTube[/ame]

if you dont have 10 mins to spare: the problem is most deniers are people that have no climate studies backgrounds but talk to the public as if they are and thus convince people that there is no problem or that humans aren't the source/contributing to it.

16. its almost as if you can notice in day to day life that the climate is changing. It was 70 degrees a few weeks ago. Its November now. Lol

17. Actually, it's October,haha, but yeah, I know what you mean. Just recently, there was an unusual snow storm.

Northeast snow could cut power to millions - Weather - msnbc.com

"we are covering the development tonight of a major winter storm . the problem is it's still october. before this storm is over it will have come all the way across the country. before it's over, 60 million americans will feel the effects of snow, wind, rain or in some cases all three. this is the same storm that roared through denver and dumped a foot of snow or more there. the big problem for the eastern seaboard is this -- because of our weird summer and fall, a lot of leaves are still on the trees and that doesn't mix well with freezing precipitation."

18. Of course humans are contributing to climate change. We are putting out greenhouse gasses, no?

It is whether it is significant in relation to the worlds natural production of greenhouse gasses and whether the amount of which humans produce would actually drastically(within a few generations) change the climate.

The hoax/fraud bit comes about when we have things like Solyndra using it to get funded by the government. Using the idea to force other countries to buy our goods. Etc.

I think people are being alarmists. I think many people are generally worried, but I also think there are people using that worry to their best benefit through government intervention. And, frankly, I would be skeptical about anything the Koch family puts out. I feel they may put out information like this, then start riding that boat as well (investing in a company they gets backed by the government, etc).