First time planet found with two suns

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Revenent, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Double-sun "Star Wars" planet discovered - CBS News

Did they find tattooine from starwars or the planet namek from dragon ball z? :D

2. thats cool. i find it extremely interesting when they make any sort of space discovery. did namek have 2 suns? i dont remember seeing 2 suns but i don't doubt it. also how the hell does a planet orbit 2 stars at the same time. it would be cool to see that planets orbit route,

3. ahh here it is. "This alien world travels on a nearly circular 229-day orbit around its two parent stars, Kepler-16A and Kepler-16B, which are about 69 and 20 percent as massive as the sun, respectively. The stars keep close to each other -- only a fifth of the distance between Earth and the sun on average, which is closer than Mercury gets to the sun -- completing an orbit around each other every 41 days, researchers added"

also, if only that planet was habitable and you could grow bomb weed there i bet with 2 suns. actually maybe not cause what if it gets no dark cycle because of the orbit. in theory you could get bomb ass weed from growing there.

4. no better bud than we can grow indoors.

still very cool

5. I think they should name it Tatooine, no shit...

6. I think it did because it never got dark there. I think I remember the child namek saying something to that effect.

7. It'll more than likely have an orbit around the center of gravity of the 2 stars. The stars will be rotating around each other and their center of gravity, and then the planet will orbit that.

I would imagine that there will still be a dark period during their days.. In order for it to be light all the time, it'd have to be between 2 stars and probably be ripped apart..

8. That's what I've been thinking but science fiction always equated two suns with have no darkness for some reason.

9. I thought the Sirius system had two stars, Sirius A and Sirius B, and we've known about them for a while?

10. But no planets.

11. I was gonna make a thread on this right now!

DAMN YOU

DAMN YOU TO HELL!!

12. Haha. I was going to make a thread about it too xD

Although probably impossible, and surely not the case with Tattooine, it would be cool if it had a figure-8 orbit.

13. the original planet namek had 3 suns, i love dbz

14. trick question, who actually killed frieza?

15. He killed himself...wait...he didn't die.

16. I wanna be able to fly in space damn it science make this possible before I die please I wanna go to tattooine one day at least by the time I'm a 125 year old super cyborg. That gives em 107 or 106 years idk lol but one day I'm gonna be a 5 star space admiral/space pirate.

17. lol imagine if we could travel to other planets with ease... we can start life on another planet and become their ancient aleins in the future :smoke:

18. I know I wanna be one, one day and than be shown on their discovery channel in the future handing a bunch of natives weed plants and smoking a bong with their leaders as a peace treaty between our speicies

19. lmao "tonight on ancient aliens, were our ancestors visited by pot head extra terrestrials?"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWihNBmupdI]Is such a thing even possible? Yes it is! - YouTube[/ame]

20. Lmfao one day we should make GC community space ship and hotbox the hell out of it while we fly through space than walk out with a giant smoke cloud pouring out in front of us hopefully the aliens are just as friendly. I think we should record our adventures we could make a movie or tv series about our travels lol. Imagine space when you're baked.