Misconception: big bang

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by yurigadaisukida, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Why do people think that scientists think the big bang was beginning of the universe? The big bang is the center of the "visible universe" where it is believed everything we see in the sky sprung from.

Most scientists will tell you that no one knows what happened before the big bang, and most agree that there may be more than one such big bang, and that our universe is akin to a giant galaxy, probly orbiting around other universes or something similar.

People who protest popular science seem to always make the same mistakes. They make ignorrant claims about things they have not researched. They read books like the god partical, and protest evolution, but dont really know anyhitng about science.

Here are some facts. There are bones in the ground. There are stars in the sky. We have DNA. Heridity is part of evolution.

No, we do not know everything. But that does not mean the things we do know are wrong. Gravity exists. Period. If you dropped something one day, and it fell up, that wouldnt prove science wrong, it would simply be another thing for us to figure out.

We see an event, we study it, and we put a name on it. That is what science is. Thats what evolution is, thats why astro physics is. Dont try to make rocket science out of it.

If some priest told you that pens actualy fall up, you wouldnt believe him. So why do people believe there arent dinosaur bones in the ground, or that all the evidence of evolution isnt enough. Science is subjective. You dont pick and chose which science is real. When the sun goes super nova, or an asteroid hits the earth, the result will be the same regardless of what you believe.

2. im gonna go on a whim here and say you dont believe in God.

Let me give you another set of facts:
    1) We don't know way more about life, universe, whatever then we do know.
    2) Talks about big bang and shit the happen eons ago, are that, just talks. Something that can't really be proven, and can't be unproven. Therefore not much point in arguing that.

Don't get me started on evolution buddy, I dont think evolution made life out of no life,
    I don't think evolution made water, air , the fucking sun.

Explain how a relationship between the sun and life on earth can develop the way it did just like that, just a bunch of "coincidences" made it.
    Please don't tell me space dust made life on earth....

3. #3 Rotties4Ever, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
    we cant "misconcept" about shit we had very little idea about, in my opinion I believe it would be arrogant to do so.
    I love how we have all these "experts" who claim they "know" shit like the sun for example just cause they spend most of "their" lives studying it, I(edit) laugh so hard when ever I see some "expert" self claiming shit like that, about something that has been here billions of years...( and no I was not talking about you, I mean actual "experts" )

4. #4 grandmastersmit, Jul 6, 2011

The majority believes the big bang was the beginning of the universe simply because everything in nature is winding down. If everything is winding down, that means that at one point in time everything had to be spun into place.

The sun is shrinking, the moon is receding from the earth, the magnetic field is dramatically weakening.. I mean there is so much evidence for the universe winding down, any knowledgeable scientists would agree, it is only logical to assume there was a point which was the beginning to start it all off.

And also just to point out, it's the beginning of our known universe which consists of time space and matter. Definitely does not mean nothing can exist outside our universe :smoke:

And btw, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say there aren't dinosaur bones in the ground.. anyone with real logic atleast..

And yes there are stars in the sky, there are bones in the dirt. Those are facts. Now to say all stars came from a point smaller than a pinhead or that all bones are directly related is putting an individuals own interpretations on the facts. Not everyone is going to agree with everyones interpretations.

5. I will relate a story to you, kinda off-topic but yeah:

There was a city in the middle east, predominantly muslim, and there was an atheist who came to this city to challenge not just muslims, but all that believed in God. (FYI the God that Muslims believe in is the same that Christians and Jews believe in, is the same that most God-believing people believe in lol.) Right so anyways this atheist comes to town challenging that there is in fact no God. So the city folks send a messenger to a famous scholar on the other side of the city, the scholar gets word and agrees to come.

Many hours pass and the Scholar doesn't show, as day turns to night the atheist attests that his word is true and that the scholar is a coward, at that time the scholar arrives into the town. All the towns people are angry b/c he took so long, but he explains.

"As i was coming here i had to cross over a river, but alas i had no boat or any means of passing by. Just then i began to see planks of wood gathering together, seemingly out of thin air and forming a boat, than a sail, a mast, and in the end a whole boat built itself."

The atheist replied, "How can that be possible??? A boat cant just create itself!"

The scholar replies,"Yet you believe that Creation created itself, you believe that our sun created itself, the stars themselves, the Universe itself. THAT is easy for you to believe, but you dont believe that this boat created itself?!"

The atheist had no reply.

Yea

6. my point exactly, very nice stories
    I would defiantly love to hear moar

7. Thanks man, and im about to hit the hay right now but i will share more tomorrow fa sho :smoke:

8. Everything you "know" everything you stated is scientific THEORY. if shit starts going up well I say fuck gravity it never existed anyway. what if matter doesn't attract itself but empty space repels it huh think bout it what if matter is just spaces junkyard? It just pushes it's shit together. In ten years science will change it will evolve. We are going to find out the earth is round (so to speak) your scientific world will be rocked and it's strait up arrogant to think otherwise. The dude in the 1800s saying "trust me if you go to far out to sea you'll fall off was sure to". What I'm saying is science was, is, and always will be theory. After all we only think gravity is real because no one can prove it wrong. You can only prove science wrong you can't prove it right. If your looking for absolute truths go check out math. And even the:confused:

9. Also to all those who say that science is eliminating the possibility of God, that is not the case. It is only eliminating certain "models of God", but not God itself. For instance, God is not a guy with a beard sitting on clouds lol.

Francis Bacon, the famous philosopher, has rightly said that a little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in God.

Can you dig it? :smoke:

10. Gravity is a force that pull's every object together. Even to a molecular level which allows the basis of life, amino acid's to congregate and manipulate themselves.

How do I know that? I don't, but with that logic you can question absolutely anything.

The fact is, that earth is indeed the perfect breading ground for life(especially due to our large formations of water), at a very basic level. This allows scientist's theory of evolution to be intertwined with how they believe the earth came about. (Key word "theory")

All we know is life on earth. So of coarse our assumption's are not pin pointing existence. We are just trying to piece together a puzzle. A very large one with a lot of missing pieces.

I bet it took that idiot all day to think of that excuse. :rolleyes:

11. lol good set up
    convinced me.

12. #12 yurigadaisukida, Jul 6, 2011

well, its not jus speculation, there is tons of evidence. read a book once and a while please.
    and as for the nothing springing into nothing arguement, its naive to think that the big bang cant "just happen" but god can. seriously?

13. If God created space & time, why does He have to be restricted by it?

14. LOL God didnt "just happen" God was always and always will be here
    don't tell me to read a book, if you fail to grasp the concept of God, notice I didnt say believe....

show me some evidence instead of saying there is tons of evidence, and we'll go from there k thanks bye:wave:

15. maybe it is not God that is restricted,
    there are different ways to look at the same concepts...

16. Humans must live according to logic. If there was a divine power, a God, why would it make its identity so shrouded in speculation whereas the only way to accept its existence is by belief, not logic. I, nor anyone else, can prove god exists. Someone may claim that I can't prove it doesn't exist, but in the words of Ayn Rand, "you are never called upon to prove a negative. That's a law of logic."

And to the earlier poster who said the thing about space dust/it cant all be a coincidence...

The earth was a primordial ocean, inhospitable, and what we often picture alien worlds to look like. With the research I've reviewed, I think it was a coincidence. There are billions of planets in our universe alone, do you think out of the billions of planets, not even one would happen to fit into place perfectly? I'll take the explanation that we got lucky over the religion one (which, if you look at the stories from various scriptures of different religions, you'll see that a coincidence is probably more likely than god creating plants before the sun. or the earth being flat (a disc) ) any day.

17. God is just a funnel. I feel like it is the unexplainable condensed down into a small definition that half-way makes sense to the larger portion of those who want a quick answer to the question's they don't have means to answer.

Created in the dark ages, the concept should of stayed there. I was born into Christianity, and even I see all the corruption that has been bred through it.

On the other hand, as the OP brought up by mentioning the big bang... our universe which allows for possible other universe's it's easy too see the pure beauty in everything. The function of space/time is only pertaining to the chunk of chaos we reside in, because out of that we know nothing of what lays on the other-side. Let's hope they don't collide :cool:

18. I dunno. I recently watched this film, forgot what it's called, but it talked about how many planets exist in the universe. They said if you took every grain of sand on earth, that's every piece in every desert and under every ocean, there's still more planets than that out there. It was kind of mind boggling and made me realize just how insignificant we all really are and how limited our knowledge is. A lot of things fall into place when you realize the majority of the world doesn't have a clue what the fuck they're talking about, running around blindly, eating, sleeping, fucking, shitting and trying to figure out who what when where and why. Exhausting this life is.

19. Why cant you religious people stay the fuck out of science sub-forum? You fuck everything up.

20. Yeah noone else does either. You clearly have NO idea what evolution is.

Please dont tell me flying spaghetti monster made life on earth....