If you pee in the ocean do water levels rise?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Bozley, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Ive always wondered if you pee in a lake or the ocean or throw a rock or something in it that wasn't there before, does the water level rise in ridiculously small amounts?

You would think it would have to because of the water displacement but i have a hard time seeing a rock or pee making the water level of a lake increase but then i think that it would have to because that displaced water has to go somewhere.

2. Math says "yes."

Reality says "good luck proving it."

I say "dude, you're seriously high."

3. At the same time you're pissing into the ocean, there is water being evaporated and forming clouds, and there are also clouds releasing their moisture back into the ocean.

Ups and downs yo.

4. not if im at the other end DRINKING all the ocean up.

5. If I'm on a boat in a lake and the liquid(urine) is inside of me then the water that it will displace has already been displaced by me being on the boat. When I urinate, I'm just changing the location of said volume. If I do it from shore, and the volume going in is larger than the volume being lost to evap, run-off, etc.(highly unlikely unless you're having a kegger ;) ) the yes, the level would increase.

Idk if that's true or not, but it would be my theory based on the knowledge I have.

6. ^ don't tectonic plates float on the asthenosphere? :p It's already all displaced!

7. Let's say, for argument's sake and to make the math more simple, that you piss 1L of liquid or 1,000cm3.

The earth has a sea surface area of roughly 361,132,000km2 or 361,320,000,000,000,000cm2 (361 quadrillion 320 trillion cm2)

So if you spread out that 1,000cm3 of piss over 361,320,000,000,000,000cm2 you get a sea level rise of 2.7676298 x 10^15 or 0.000000000027676298cm or almost 3 x 1 hundred billionths of a meter, this is many times smaller than the width of a single hydrogen atom.

I might have got the exponentials math wrong somewhere along the line, it's a long time since I took a math lesson, but I don't think the Netherlands need worry too much about you pissing in the sea.

8. Excellent asnwer!

9. Cheers mate.

I've always wondered the answer myself and love interesting little factoids like that, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to work it out.

10. Interesting. Thanks g

11. hahaha.. why would you even start this thread :confused_2:

some completely insignificant measurement... reminds me of the example of gravity. Like if an apple falls of a tree, its not actually falling to the ground but both the apple and the entire planet are "falling" towards each other and will meet at some point in between the two.... Just that the point is so much closer the the ground it seems like only the apple is falling.

12. No worries dude. I wanted to know the answer myself, so decided to work it out.

Why wouldn't he start this thread? He was wanted to know the answer.

The figure in the answer might be insignificant, but what is signification is the fact that he had the curiosity to ask the question. Curiosity is a healthy thing, without it the human species wouldn't be where we are today.

I'm also curious to know how much the earth moves towards the falling apple, but the maths involved is a lot more complex. Newtons Law of Universal Gravitation would probably give a good enough estimation and is somewhat less complex than Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. I'm at work at the minute so I don't have time to work it out, I'll have another look at it when I get home and if I can work it out I'll post it here.

If there is anyone out there with a better understanding of it than me, please put us out of our misery.

13. drinking his urine?

14. Yes but that doesn't mean that the level would even go up a measurable amount.