The universe is like a bag of marbles

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by sticky icky bud, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Ok first take a look at this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgg2tpUVbXQ&feature=related]YouTube - Hubble Deep Field: The Most Imp. Image Ever Taken (Redux)[/ame]

Ok so imagine a bag or marbles, nothing special right? well imagine one marble from that bag were to contain all those galaxies, well that would make it the universe right? now imagne that bag of marbles coantining all these universes were owned by some child from another universe perhaps alot like us, unsuspecting that he is in possesion of a countless number of galaxies. now imagne in every planet that has life like ours in all those galixes in that one marble each had thousands of owners with marbles, and in all those marbles contained universes. Doesnt that make you think we could be part of that chain? we could be the 453,620,968 number in that chain and that chain continues, and even our marbles on earth contain billions of galaxies.

[​IMG]

Perhaps this could explain the big bang? maybe our universe was produced by some marble manufacturer on the universe before ours. Guys i think im onto something. but seriously i think this could be plausible. lemme know what you think

[​IMG]

2. It's a very valid sounding and intreaguing idea; but like the singularity, It's nothing anyone could ever prove.

3. Reminds me of this time I bought marbles when I was a kid. They came with this weird coating which was opaque, leading to them looking interesting but they didn't roll like a marble should. So while I was inspecting the coating I noticed I could scratch it off, and I began picking it off bit by bit till I finally revealed that it was a normal marble with a red swirl (a 'cats eye') that the company had just painted with a plastic coating. Very strange. I picked every single one of the marbles, one of my weekend projects before we got a computer.

4. last 30 seconds dawg

5. Is there any way to find out what happened before the bang, or is it impossible?

6. I can't remember who said it first but, "Nothing human is of any real importance."

7. It depends on who you listen to, some people think there would be a way, while others don't. Cosmology on the galactic timescale is not an exact science; I personally don't think there could be a way, but who knows? :)

That's what's so crazy about the LHC; we'll either figure out we've been doing subatomic science really right, or really wrong.

8. Could the big bang be at the end of the universe? A phenomena where all matter in space achieves a cosmic singularity? Thus, measurement is irrelevant.

That seems to be the ultimate state of synchronicity, at least in my eyes. Saying "in the beginning, there was nothing, and that blew the fuck up," is the equivalent of "and god said let there be light." :p

9. Why marbles tho?

10. #11 Stoopid Toker, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
    opps, double post

11. #12 Stoopid Toker, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
    This fact always blows my mind.

There are more stars in the sky than there are grains of sand on all the beaches in the world.

But your bag of marble idea, that's pretty much the idea of the Universe as a fractal, and is fairly popular.

I like the idea of the universe as a fractal. Always a mind blower.