Unsolved problems in science/math?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by prodigybeats, Mar 14, 2010.

1. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any unsolved problems in science/math/engineering/even history.

I'm a college student(civil engineering), but I'm kind of looking for a side project to work on something with more seriousness than the type of things I'm working on classes.

I heard something about squaring a circle but I wasn't able to find details.

2. The last number of Pi.

3. At first thought, what comes to me is our current EM theory and electrons. We can calculate the energy for a chrage distribution by examining the things electric field. The "problem" is that current experiments suggest that electrons are in fact "point-like" particles, meaning they have no displacement in 3-space. If you like calculus, you find the problem when you calculate the energy in the field by integrating the field from infinity to to r=0; you will get a diverging answer for the energy of that "charge configuration". And in physics, we do not like stuff that requires infinte energy, mass, time, etc (atleast not real stuff, like electrons). Quantum mechanics might have an answer for this. Maybe the uncertainty principle can be used to interpret the uncertainty in position as displacement into 3-space, hence resolving the problem.

But, I can say for sure that classical EM theory, which works damn good for everything else, has no answer for this one instance.

This would be an interesting side project. (though probably not frutiful. humans have been working on this for a while. then again, people get awards for simple ideas in quantum mechancis becasue the science is so new and relatively not understood. for example, the "cloning" principle; its not that amazing of an idea, but some people took claim to that idea because it was orginal)

4. Wow, thanks for that. I'll definitely look into it.

5. the problem of 3 divided by 3 (3/3)

6. I'm probably just really high but here's one. Is it possible to prove or disprove infinity? Einstein pondered over that question.

7. Infinite what? Infinite space?

In general, as far as I understand infinity is not considered a number. If you are looking for an example of SOMETHING that uses the idea of infinity, we could look at the denseness of the real number: we can approximate any number contained in the real set with a rational number to arbitrary accuracy. i.e. we have an infinite resolution when approximating real number with rationals (the accuracy is dictated by what resolution you would like)

8. 0 divided by one
    0 divided by 2
    0 divided by 3
    0divided by 4
    :smoking:

9. ....1/3?

10. #10 Thunderstruck, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  11. fail....

12. how does this deserve the :smoking:? it is not even a stoner question/thought. how can you have nothing then try to divide it by something? unless your t-89 is broken u should get 0 for each one.

math is so amazing because it just seems like everything works out to a mathmatical equation in some form.

Instead of trying to write down and solve you could even try some critical thinking. maybe some topics of does the moon play a huge role in our existence today? thats one i actually just got done writing a paper on :p

13. i been into algebra lately and 0 divided by something equals N. not 0. whereas say 6 divided by 0 equals 0. idk shits crazy

14. Lmao @ myself.

I need to stop getting on the computer when I'm high.
    :eek:

15. #15 Insurgency, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
    but to even understand the whole concept of division one needs to learn the basic concepts. if i were to ask you whats 15 divided by 3 you would say 5 because (3+3+3+3+3=15) simple enough i know. but now when you look at the problem of 15 divided by 0 you need to look at it as (0+0+0+0+0...infinity) and so you will never reach 15 but you can keep adding 0s infinite number of times theoretically.

ive actually learned it the other way around. 0 divided by something is going to equal zero because you have nothing and then try to divide it by a certain amount, but something cant go into 0 any amounts of times, so its 0.
    6 divided by 0 ive learned to always be infinity, but remember infinity is not a number it just is the "word" we give to explain never ending. (explained above)

edit: to explain it better if someone doesnt get what im trying to say, illgive a good example
    take the fraction 1/2. that is like saying, take 1 piece of pie and divide it into 2 equal parts, or 1 piece divided into 3 equal parts (1/3) and u can continuously do this. What if i gave you 3 slices and told you to divide it equally in 0 parts . . . you cant because its an undefined answer.

16. wrong.

6 divided by 0 = undefined. It will never, ever equal 0.

17. so i just had it backwards.....

18. imo, the more important question you should ask yourself is:
    After something is broken down more than a half, why can it never mathematically never become truly whole again.

19. #19 rattlesnake, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
    You can find some unsolved math problems at Tutorvista.com