Whoa, Dude, Are We Inside a Computer Right Now?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by ProvidencePlant, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Whoa, Dude, Are We Inside a Computer Right Now? | VICE

This is really, really trippy to think about.

2. If this is a simulation and perhaps not the first simulation, I wonder how the real existence is. Basically is like a dream within a dream within a dream but, instead is simulation within simulation within simulation. Trippy shit!

3. lol, I love this part
    "In quantum mechanics, particles do not have a definite state unless they’re being observed. Many theorists have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how you explain this. One explanation is that we’re living within a simulation, seeing what we need to see when we need to see it."
    If they can manage to get more evidence for this through stuff like that, it would be interesting. Probability wise I would say that theres a good chance we are living in a simulation, and that Grape Tomato is really god! XD

4. Life is just a dream, there is no such thing as death, and you are the imagination of yourself.. whether or not this is the result of the computer simulation, I don't know, but I don't think the truth is that simple.

Good day :smoke:

5. I'm still indifferent about neglecting the needs of all those Sims I ever had control over. I have needs too! At least that is what the stimuli leads me to believe.

6. #8 Floydian, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
    A yes or no answer can't be given until we can directly observe and define the universes smallest parts, the pixels if you will. Strings or whatever they are. The universe is not infinite, it consists of a finite number of parts, likewise the scales of size are not infinite and there is a definite smallest part. Until said parts can be observed and defined, trying to figure out what organized it all is futile.

In any case, it's more like we're inside a calculator than a computer. There's nothing sci fi about it, the cosmos is a calculator, the known laws of physics are part of an equation, and we and our environment is the answer.

[​IMG]

7. We are the answer to the cosmic god's homework problem

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Idk how i feel about this.

It seems interesting and plausible, but the question is, who created the first simulation?
    And why didnt they give us respawns? Lololol

I still think we're descendents of beings of higher intelligence and conciousness. Think about it,

Man appeared suddenly in the timeline, there was no man, then man.

Obviously this planet we inhabit existed before we did. If you dont believe this id say youre foolish.

Ill stop there

9. #11 hundredgrand, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
    This doesn't really make sense, because I myself play computers games. So why would the player want to make me also play computer games in his OWN game...and then play a game that's taking all my attention? Unless he just sets my status to playing video games as he controls everyone else too? But I can choose to stop at any time, I think I'm choosing...I could do something totally random too...Why would the player do that? And then when I do something random, in my own head I actually think about how I'm doing that random thing and also typing this online to you. Why would I try to convince my player that I am actually real? And if I'm real but no one else was, then that must mean my free will is coming from somewhere. So if it's not the game then where is it coming from? Or maybe it's an illusion and my status is set to "do list of activities that are generated by a randomizer, think thoughts randomly connected to list of activities"

10. We may not be intended as a game, we could just be the byproduct of some kids science fair project, showing off how he re-created evolution in a simulation.

11. I guess i am a fool then, because i dont believe man appeared suddenly in a timeline. Man evolved, and continues to evolve.

12. Weirdly enough, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if we are the retarded kids science experiment (who's experiment went crazily wrong thus religion and war and death) because we are inside it and we may be able to pierce the veil but probably not escape it.

13. Cool
    ..... I
    Thought of this before but w/e

14. Nope, forget all the scientific evidence that points to that. Humans are unique, new, and came out of NOWHERE.

Aliens. They exist man! :rolleyes:

And this whole article just uses moore's law to make absurd predictions about processing speed and data storage. Pure speculation at best.

15. Did i say anything about aliens? No.

But im glad you had to come to this thread and once again mock me.

However, the theory of evolution has many holes in it, just like the big bang theory. Hence why theyre called theories.

And actually when you research it, many scientists point out how man oddly just "appeared"

But we werent advanced at this point and we evolved into the species we are now.

Many scientists poke holes at the idea that we evolved from monkeys or apes, but instead they either evolved from US, or were here before us and resemble us because advanced species end up with similar traits.

I guess some of you dont research, just flame others and make opinions on nothing? But thats ok i understand the brain capacity of many of you is quite slim

16. Huh? There was a common ancestor.

Evolution as a whole seems pretty solid to me...

17. I found the article to be amusing at certain points. Good read.

Nice post OP.

18. Not mocking you, just what you say.

And just like how a pyramid can't be observed as "being built from the bottom down", how can you say we evolved from an advanced species that resembles us...

I honestly would love to see your scientists you talk about and your sources, it's all nonsensical.