If Atheists Acted Religious

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by aero18, Nov 30, 2010.

1. I'm pretty sure your ego is making you religous. Religion is simply a survival technique. Some people just can't handle the truth about life. And thats that there is no purpose unless YOU make one. People tend to not look at the human race as a whole because you are just a part of it. Life doesn't give a fuck about any individual, its all about the whole species moving forward. I mean can you really not tell that religion is just a survival mechanism??

I'll admit knowing that there is no god, makes life alot harder. I was raised by christians, and believed in god till about 15. After expanding my mind quite a few times, it was so obvious how life works, and there simply cannot be a god in control.:confused:

I just picked up some dank, haven't smoked all day, and just did. and if this makes no sense disregard it. :smoke:

2. Makes sense to be and I've been sober for days.

3. Atheists act religious every time they call themselves "atheist".

4. for someone who likes to give of the facade of having an open mind, you really need to step out of what's comfortable for you and try to see things from a different, objective perspective. you remind me very much of this caller: (watch the whole thing, for the sake of a rational debate)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSW_L-6vNZY]YouTube - Christianity has no morality - The Atheist Experience #630[/ame]

this also reminds me a lot of how i used to be. the morality without a god argument is a joke. i was raised in a christian house, went to christian school and believed whole heartedly the teachings i was taught from a young age. it wasn't until about 2 years ago that i demanded soild answers from my beliefs. i wanted to be able to put those "damned atheists" (to be taken literally, of course) in their place, and so i started by finally reading the bible, cover to cover. i highly doubt (although i could be mistaken) that you yourself have done that. if you would, you would undoubtedly have some questions about your said beliefs.

the crucial part in seeking answers is not to only research christian (or whatever you specified religion in question happens to be) apologists. look at secular viewpoints, other religious viewpoints and come to a sound, rational decision based on actual fact instead of warm fuzzy feelings.

never hesitate to look into the history and creation on your religion, either. since we're on the topic of christians, i myself as one who has been taught christian teachings since i was a child, didn't realize how similar christianity was to religions dating much older than christianity. these said religions are now considered mostly obsolete to most, and nothing more than ancient folklore, yet christianity teaches many of the exact same things.

i also didn't realize the hypocrisy of it all until i was about 23-24 years old or so. i'm 26 now. if you are living in a situation and are surrounded by people who never force you to question your beliefs, it can be a hard thing to do. to go about spouting off these things however, is insulting to someone like myself who has taken many years of studying and thinking to come to a sound conclusion. opinions are just opinions, but when you start throwing things around as fact without the evidence to back them up, that's where i have a problem with it.

also, the same show (the atheist experience from austin, tx) has a great, 9 part debate on the morality issue if you would be open enough to sit and listen to an objective point of view. when you being to feel offended and defensive, take a nice big rip, sit back and just chill. don't be scared of objective viewpoints here. if your god is as strong as you believe now that he is, he can handle it. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE2gCgoiCms]YouTube - The Source of Human Morality [1/9] (debate)[/ame]

5. lol .. .. .. ..

Look UP, .. .. n, .. the Sky. .. ..

We all call it The Sun.

Why .. .. ? .. ..

lol .. ..

Yeah .. .. .. :eek:

6. Budism
    Peace towards Life
    Love towards Life
    Unity with Life
    Respect towards Life

No them only us.

The means are corrupt, the morals are sound.

:smoke:

Actions speak louder than words are we listening.

7. Makes sense to me, but i just vowed to never be sober again.

8. I wish I could make that vow and keep it If only I had endless resources

9. Funny stuff.

10. I never once, asked you to step outside your comfort zone to see things different and to tell someone to do so, would be shoving that down their throat. The reason that's even an expression is because of how uncomfortable that is. [/QUOTE]
    Actually, that means you never were a Christian. Once a Christian always a Christian. If you lose faith entirely that means you never were a Christian, just a liar. Same goes with me, if I one day lose all my faith, that means I never was a true Christian. That means I never truly believed. I have read the Bible numerous times and all I get is answers. :rolleyes:

I agree. You must research the Apostles, understand the time period, and specifically the audience of which the book is directed to.

Thanks for the advice, but I've put this into action long ago.

11. This means I was never really a Catholic?
    Thank fuck for that.

12. #52 meddlehaze, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
    Catholicism and Christianity are completely different.
    But I would have to say, yes.

If you used to say you ARE something, and no longer ARE that. Then you never were

13. So that means I was born gay?
    I'm glad I can finally agree with a Christian on this issue :)

Edit* - WTF happened there? Did you edit your post without it coming up as edited or haas my computer spazzed out?

14. I edited it because I thought I was saying something wrong. But i re-read it and it's fine lol

and yes, you were born gay. what has this to do with anything?

15. Christians tend to be a bit prickly about that point because me being born gay it basically means their God is a complete bell end.

16. +rep, we are all equal.

17. Most atheists do act religious. Especially online ones. Always trying to convert people. No matter what questions you ask them they always respond w/ a vauge, "science answers those questions", but then when you ask them to specify they pretty much tell you that science works in mysterious ways and that it is what it is and that it's the way to truth and all the exact same shit that religious people say about God.

I literally can't tell the difference half the time.

18. Oh, if the Christians you've encountered claim it's a choice to be gay, they've completely misinterpreted the text of the Holy Bible. Sexuality means nothing to God. It's the act on sexuality that does not please God. He created marriage so the man and woman could procreate and do it without sin (sex outside of marriage).

There is a difference between men who are sexually attracted to other men and those who participate in the indecent, homosexual act (1Co 6:9-10)(Rom 1:26-27). These verses say that men who sleep with men, like women sleep with men, shall be condemned or abolished. It doesn't say, because they are homosexual they are condemned. It's the act or practice. Having sex outside of marriage is just as bad (in God's perspective) as homosexual intercourse (primarily because homosexuals can't have sex without breaking God's law [to only have sex when married]) Does this make sense? I can elaborate, if you have any further questions.

19. Indecent?
    Please...

Wel it's kind of difficult to not have sex outside of marriage if you can't get married isn't it?
    Yeah I'm aware of the quotes, there's one that says we should be stoned to death too. Fun. I'm into BDSM and everything but that's just over the top.

Er, yeah, i'm ok for straight people's views on homosexuality thanks, doesn't make any sense to ask them in my opinion.

20. #60 meddlehaze, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
    EDIT* I meant to say *It's decent to you(not, Indecent to you), but you are a mere human. Do you think you have the power to decide what is decent and indecent? You probably do.
    No, actually it's not.

Please reference your quote, because you could be misinterpreting it.

I could be gay for all you know, it's not what matters.