This is why we atheists don't think a magical entity in the sky exists

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by progmothroin, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Its like the same thread gets posted every week or two.

:bongin:

2. I love it. Playing the "Faith" gamble in life can leave you disappointed, ask anyone who is divorced. My personal favorite is made into a sticker on my car, by unknown author:

"Religion is Hate masquerading as Love"

The religions of the sons of Abraham never quit do they... Why don't all you christian people believe in the third book of the Jews in America that "Prophet" Joseph Smith wrote?

I love arguing religion so much as the sheer lack of evidence and your exuberant retaliatory comments with no material backup makes me giggle inside, happy that I can come to terms with the god (conscience) in my head. Good luck in life...

BTW, all agnostics should read Richard Dawking's "The God Delusion" and stop calling themselves agnostics, and pick a side.

3. "We atheists"
    ??? Is this of use?

Occam's razor could argue either way. Depends on the experiences of the employer. There is some truth to everything. Not much point getting hung up on the superficial qualms that scream for attention. Investigate and test things yourself but be willing to accept that anything could be true. Your laboratory is provided.

What if there was nothing but a "magical entity in the sky"? Depending on how you interpret that, a magical entity in the sky could provide for all of your subjective experience... experience of others and whatever else you experience. But I think much of the problem is that "magical entity in the sky" has no meaning to a large number of people but this is nonetheless what they perceive the whole concept to be. LOL You can try all you want to discredit a huge number of people but in the end you are just pointing your ego's finger... The trick is to understand why these people would experience something like this... We see lots of talks on Youtube that do that of course. The difference between what I'm trying to get at and the majority of the talks I've seen is the intent still seems to be belittling the mystical (or religious, or magickal) experience. Thus little progress is made and experience itself is not understood. But we all know this little drama is a lot of fun!

4. Then faith was misunderstood. Materialism is dogma.

5. this is why we atheists dont think a magical entity in the sky exists...
    hmmm? i suppose that is why i find such reasons to believe in such things myself. agnostics, atheists, or what have you and all of their disbeliefs. it simply makes me believe that much more. cause if they wont i surely will. for all of us if need be. sadly enough, for those of you who fall into such a category, you are just as blind as those you refer to as believers. you ask for open mindedness, yet due to your complete and utter lack of any form of imagination, one of the greatest gifts we've been granted, you all shut your eyes to any fairy tale that eludes to a higher power. you state that it is ridiculous! illogical! well so is the statement "we atheists dont think a magical entity in the sky exists". what greater proof do you need? last i checked we currently reside within an infinite ever expanding universe. rotating on an axis around a sun and amongst heavenly, yes i said it, heavenly bodies.

what is the universe if not a fucking magical entity in the sky??

is it not more illogical to doubt that something bigger has to exist in order to make any of this possible? yeah maybe it was an explosion or some such cosmic phenomenon. but somebody or something must have lit the fuse. all i know is we currently exist within the most elaborate creation ever concieved and more than most of us continue to doubt a master architect. give yourselves a big round of applause guys. you're so smart in questioning what you can't understand only to come to the conclusion that oh there's nothing there. at least the idiotic christians came up w/ something a little more creative than nothing. come on! this is clearly a "little" something more than nothing. dont you see?! clearly we arent intended to understand this. we as people aren't big enough to do such a thing. thats why religion is bullshit as well as your inabilities to accept anything greater than yourself or selves. we are mere men. tiny specks in a vast space. we are intended to question. we have that power. so dont be foolish enough to think we can figure it all out. but we have our science! then have your science recreate everything you see infront of you. all of it. in its immense and highly specified detail. i highly doubt our science can completely reconstruct the known universe. we're just not that good. sorry.

6. Large Hadron Collider. :cool:

7. Christianity is usually an inherited religion. Do Christian parents take their 8 year-olds to church with them, or wait 10 years until they are old enough to make a conscious decision?
    Of course, there are many people that find Christianity, as well as other religions, during time of struggle.

8. #28 phire420, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2010

I wouldn't say those are willing to question are blind. Who is more unaware: someone who questions the logic behind something, or someone who believes in this same phenomenon, merely because of faith and feeling?

Technically, you could say the universe is an entity, but it is a physical one, not an imaginary one ;). Has man ever traveled out to meet God? Does man have pictures of God?

How on earth can you possibly know that we live in the most elaborate creation ever conceived? Are YOU God himself? That's just more of that Christian brainwashing gleaming through: the idea that man on Earth is the center of the universe and of the highest intelligence.

Since when is it a contest to "come up" with Gods? Atheism is the lack of belief in God, not the denial of God and the search of God. In reality, it is probably more foolish to assume a God so early (when the Bible was first written) when there was no modern technology or resources to come to such a conclusion.

Slow downn horsie, we're getting there. You do know that at one point in time, it was man's consensus that the world was flat? Anyone who would've thought otherwise was deemed crazy. At one point in time, storms, lightening, volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes....ALL of the frightening, mysterious elements of the world were believed to be triggered by Gods? Maybe Christians are frightened at the absence of exact origins to our existence, eventually we will be able to come to a conclusion.

9. i remember one day i stoned out of my mind and i was talking to a friend who doesnt smoke and is hardcore christian
    and i thought i saw a UFO and i said "shit did you see that"
    he said naw
    i asked if he believed that aliens exist he told me no
    and i asked him if he believed in god he said yes
    so i asked him why theres no proof of god
    he said the bible was proof
    and i told him what about pictures of UFOs theres no pictures of god
    he looked at me and left

10. #30 lookin4nug, Mar 2, 2010

no christian brainwashing here. i've never belonged to a church in my life.
    and i could say that the same gleams through about atheists and their ideals.
    man on earth is the center of the universe and of the highest intelligence. isnt that the exact opposite of what i was stating and what your questioning proclaims. through logic and reason there isn't enough evidence to support the claims of a god. where i was stating we are not big enough to understand the meaning behind all of this. and yeah big whoop we created a collider. awesome. it has the potential to recreate the conditions neccessary for a big old bang. but just because we have made it a reality by our own hands does not mean by any means that we can respect its power. i mean christs sakes if we really set that thing off we may be able to recreate all of this in the end of it all, but it will also destroy everything that has already been created.

look outside. all ideals, religions, and same such bs aside. can you honestly tell me you have seen anything greater than this? dreamt up something more elaborate than what we have here? seasons changing. stars falling. storms, lightning, volcanoes, tornadoes, and the like. the ability to build colliders and what not.

if you want to truely learn a little something about god or a higher power look up a book entitled cosmic serpent: dna and the origins of knowledge. written by a french anthropologist by the name of jeremy narby discussing his studies with peruvian shamans in south america. when reading some of the tall tales of that piece of literature you'll laugh at it the same as you did with the bible, but im speaking from personal experience. we are living in a world of interconnectedness not unlike avatar. i've witnessed it first hand. more than once. and whats unraveling right here before us boys is f-ing BIG!

11. #31 aero18, Mar 2, 2010
    Not only that, but religious texts were written at a time when most people were illiterate. The select few, that were literate, could rewrite history however they pleased. Their words would be preserved through time, as the credulous believe on the basis of faith and not reasoning. Mere blind adherence to a doctrine.

Why is skepticism so undervalued, even rejected, in spiritual/religious beliefs?

12. #32 aero18, Mar 2, 2010
    Of course we know that the world is far more elaborate than what our knowledge can explain. This is why the atheist and the agnostic do not jump onto baseless conclusions and say "God did it."

We are the only ones who assert the reality of our knowledge and its limitations. We don't try to overreach our conclusions like what the spiritualists/religious do. We withhold absolute judgement until the proper evidence, or knowledge, exists.

13. #33 Rerun, Mar 2, 2010
    My thoughts?

Don't see God as a subjective thing within this Universe.
    See it as the first element. Nature has some kind of conciousness, because it grows AND is in such harmony, it flows as good as flawlessly. This must mean there is some kind of "mind" behind it. See God as the smallest thing there is, that creates everything a.k.a the biggest things that exist. Which is the Universe.

Can't point it out better in words than this.

14. Well, it generally wasn't until recently. Ever heard of deism?

This "faith" bullshit is a creation of the church.

15. My faith existed beyond the influence of any church. Faith in my God, not my church.

16. And if that makes life less scary for you, feel free to live in your imaginary world. I, on the other hand, will glean as much information to come up with my own ideas. I do not think I will ever have a REAL answer in my lifetime, but pretending isn't going to get me any closer. If you were born in the Afghanistan you would be a devout Muslim, Salt Lake City a Mormon, ect and feel just as adamantly as you do now about your "Faith". You know that's true.

17. Actually, that is the exact opposite of what Atheists believe, and what I assumed you were saying. By saying "we currently exist within the most elaborate creation ever concieved and more than most of us continue to doubt a master architect" you are implying the world as we see it, is the most elaborate creation ever conceived. I compare that with Christian theology because most Christians and sects don't believe in extra terrestrial life and that the purpose of the entire universe is for man's existence on Earth.

Although you claim to have no affiliation with any Christian church, this just seems like an irrational, Christian fear that the Christian interpretation of man's beginning will be proven wrong.

You should look into Pantheism, what, with all that talk of the moon and stars and what not.

Eh, Avatar was an alright movie, a little too long. Also, I would love to hear of your experiences with "interconnectedness".

18. Thank you for telling me about myself. :mad:

That scenario is not applicable because guess what? I wasn't. Me as an individual, this collection of cells with a unique consciousness was born here. God put me in the required circumstances for me to come to him.

And many people born in said countries convert. Just as many not born in those countries convert. It is not where you are born that determines your faith. To think that is the only cause is foolish and illogical.

You may continue to live your fantasy world, believing this is all. :)

19. Anyone else seeing the irony here? Also, why do you think people in predominantly non-Christian countries convert? Obviously, there are some who find Christianity on their own, but the majority are brainwashed by missionaries. Christianity definitely has the largest active body of missionaries of any religion.

20. I don't want to seem like I'm discarding anyone's beliefs but to you non believers that prefer to use science and logic answer me this, How much nothing does it take to get something? :confused: Logically speaking you have to concede to divine intervention for the Darwinian theory of evolution, because no matter how much nothing you have you will always have nothing.
    How could anyone in our hobby possibly look at our beautiful ladies in all their wonder and not see the hand of God?
    This post is not intended to offend I'm new to this forum and don't wish to make waves, but my faith is for those seeking redemption and salvation one simply needs to ask for it.