Do you belive in god

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by modern-hippy, Jul 28, 2004.

?

Do You belive in god?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. mabey, or other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I'm agnostic, which is where it is impossible to know whether there is a god or not, but i don't necessarily flat out state that there is no god.

2. If not known for a very long time.. chances are never.

3. I am against Judeo-Christianity, and I have my reasons...I am a nihilistic person. When I die, I'll simply cease to exist mentally. Shortly after I'll be buried in the ground and maggots will consume my brain and every peice of knowledge gained will be food for other organisms. It's the circle of life, and death always wins. Nothing is permanent, and only death is real.

4. I'm a deist. I recognize there's a higher power up there and thank it for creating us through prayer, but I believe it will not judge by our actions but our intentions, and that laws set in such stones such as the catholics may be unreasonable, or dogmatic.

It's a very loose religion.

5. My survival and existence are in my own hands. Nobody elses.

6. "God is dead, and we have killed him"
    -N

7. I dont believe in an ultimate and superior being for our life. I believe in things that our minds cant yet percieve or even comprehend. But i dont believe in a superior that put us here.

I think the psychology behind god is just a way of explaining what couldnt be explained at the time. I think the belief in god was the way people rationalized the unexplainable. Humans are always constantly trying to know the answer to things, and i think thats where the idea of god was created, a simple answer, that couldnt really be questioned. Now, i believe science is that answer, everything is really science when you think about it. All of these things have been explained and rationalized through science, for the most part.

I also believe that god was a method of governing human nature, and morality. The fear of 'hell' and the prospect of 'heaven' kept many people from going against 'god's will.' Honestly, who wants to burn in fire for eternity with no chances of salvation?

I believe god is just a concept of the human mind. A source of closure for the most part. No i dont believe in god, or the reality of a god. I do believe in god as something that lingers in the mind of every human being that walks the earth. But then again, if everyone believes it, is it true?

8. anyone who claims to "know" about God's existence is making some pretty bold assumptions, imo. strong atheists and strong theists are in the same boat.

9. God does exist.. he's not what you think he is though, well at least to some of you.. i'll explain my point when i'm back from school.
    Just for a thought experiment, If you take out all the matter in the universe, what are you left with?
    What do you put in a barrel that's massless and that gives it light? [if you watched are ou afraid of the dark, you should know this one]

Which way is the earth REALLY spinning?

Have you heard of matter/antimatter?

What about superstring theory? Multiple dimentions? How is this relevant to the symmetry of time? And does it mean we can travel back in time? just for a short answer, i think we can, in fact i think we're travelling back and forth in time, although time only flows in one direction and you can never make time flow backwards.

If the universe we know about has two sorts of particles, fermions and bosons, and those two are related by E=MC^2, does that mean that the whole universe is energy? what about G=MC^2, would that make more sense to atheist? I was born a christian, grew up to be atheist, then agnostic, and now i think i've come to a certain understand of what god could be and the way he might function.. of course, it's only personal belief and can very possibly be absolutely false.

10. Yes I believe in God. Though I didn't bother reading this thread, since they all turn out to be the same in the end. I spent a good amount of time hanging out in a Religion chat room (though those who often visited didn't really talk about religion, go figure) and I understand how useless a debate over the Internet is.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, be they wrong or right. I believe what I know to be true, as does everyone else. We'll find out who is right when we're all dead. If anyone would like to have an intelligent discussion about God/Religion/Faith (Not a debate), feel free to PM me as I won't be paying attention to this thread.

11. Ha
    You have no proof in favor of god. You're trying to disprove science (like an idiot) because you know that there isn't a shred of evidence in favor of a god's existance.

Also, not all athiests believe in science. An athiest is someone who denies the existance of any diety.

12. i think you should try to understand what i was trying to say... i'm not trying to disprove science at all, in fact i'm majoring in physics, so that would make me an idiot if i was trying to diprove it...

there isn't a shed of evidence for "gods" existance? your alive reading this arent you, that's all the proof you need.
    try to answer the questions i asked in my previous post then i'll get back to you

13. i believe in god

14. I'm an agnostic, but I feel like im definately missing something by not having religion...but every organized church has too many glaring problems in it for me to accept it. I don't think humans can ever know the ultimate truth of the universe, but I believe that all these religions are paths to the same truth, so I guess we'll just see when its time for us to leave this plane of existance

15. Agnostic. :)

16. I decided to check in... There isn't a shred of evidence proving that God doesn't exist. Seriously, the discussion is pointless, those who believe in God can't give you firm "proof" that he exists. And those who do not can't give firm "proof" that he doesn't. You can quote any piece of science you want, but a simple fact remains. We do not know how a God would/could create a Universe, we have no idea what a few sentences in a holy book actually mean. There is no way to disprove God, even if the Theory of Everything is explained today, it could not prove that God exists or doesn't 100%. It is up to faith, and I believe, God says that is how it has to be.

So why argue a moot point? I can point out just as many reasons that God exists as you can point out that he doesn't.

17. First off I want to say I believe that sprituality is a purely inner science. Religion is nice but when the words preached are just taken as science and no contemplation is done on the subject matter, it is entirely pointless, even harmfull.
    As for God, i don't belive in the WORD God, but to the reality which the word is ment to be taken. God points to the eternal, infinite love of the universe. I suggest to everyone, try meditation!! Try it =]