The Anti-Religion Meme Thread

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Messiah Decoy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Can you be rich without being greedy?

Getting and staying obscenely rich requires a love for money:

1) You were willing to sacrifice precious time and energy to accumulate the mountains of money.

2) Then you have keep a ridiculous amount to maintain your lifestyle or goals (which usually involve getting more money).

Full time philanthropy is a possible exception to the rule but you don't play in mud without getting dirty.

2. or you could strike rich off of an invention or HARD WORK, which the love you had was for the work that you did, you didn't do it to strike it rich

bottom line is its not the MONEY, it's the person's feelings towards the money, which means the LOVE of money is the root of all evil, not money itself...which is what the quote says...

3. #386 -13 Amp-, May 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. If your willing to sacrifice blood, sweat and tears for the something it's probably safe to say you "love" that something.

If you get rich off an invention that's nice and so are lottery wins and inheritence but if you use that insane amount of money to serve mostly yourself you are being greedy in the same way someone with too much food which they keep mostly to themselves is being gluttonous.

There's a difference between needs and wants.

Just like eating for nutrition requires only so much feeding and everything else is excess. We're are all guilty of this to some extent, but some more than others.

5. doesn't change that money isn't evil by itself, it'll just sit there and do nothing...money simply magnifies the qualities of the owner....so like the correct quote says "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil" not money by itself, its that simple

6. Interesting.

So you see money as an opportunity to show your true nature.

Okay I see your point but that doesn't change the fact most people want riches out of greed, not to prove they're a good person.

7. #392 -13 Amp-, May 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2013
    your just basing it off of what you think most people would do...thats not the point, money can do no good or evil by itself, so it cannot be the root of all evil, MAN is what makes it evil....what you do with the money is what makes it evil or good, and you can give it to charity or spend it on booze, doesn't change that money didn't make you do it

Money is simply money. Don’t blame it for the flaws in you. Man is all flawed.

8. So your saying I'm wrong when I suggest most people want to be rich for superficial reasons?

I'm sorry, but most people don't buy a lottery ticket so they can give the money away.

Money brings out the worst in people. That's not just an inward observation. If you don't believe me, gain vast riches around people who don't have it or lose your riches around people who have plenty of it. Because of the very nature of money they will either drain you clean or pretend they never met you.

People sell their soul for pursuit of money every moment of every day. That's why they say it's "the root" of evil, rather than evil itself.

9. Maybe they should say greed is the root of all evil.

I'm not opposed to doing that, but then people would debate endlessly the definition of "greed".

Didn't you make a thread for this diversion?