I'm eating bugs.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by bahookahjoe18, Oct 24, 2011.

1. #1 bahookahjoe18, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2011
    I recently realized that I don't know anything at all about the abundance of edible insects in my backyard.

So I did some research and today ate my first insect (first insect that I consented to eat, anyway).

This big, fat grasshopper caught my eye. Head-, legs-, and wings-free, I ate it.

The texture of this yellow-green grasseater was a little alien to my mouth, but after some careful consideration, my uvula decided to stop sounding the intruder alarm and I got to savor the flavor of my snack.

[​IMG]

Appearance- The grasshopper complete looks beautiful. When you rip its head and wings off, it looks pretty carnal. They have some organs I'm not familiar with, so I had to look the other way when I put it in my mouth. The color scheme was reminiscent of sushi.(6/10)

Smell- If I had smelled anything, I would say it probably would have smelled like grass and dirt. (10/10)

Sounds- CRRLCCHHhh! Grasshoppers sound like semi-soggy Rice Crispies in my mouth. (3/10)

Texture- At first chew, I almost rejected the ordeal entirely, but I pulled myself together and kept it down. I chewed it really well, because it's exoskeleton feels similar to vegetable cellulose. It was very much like eating a vegetable that is really chewy and has a few seeds and a soft inside. Think of a tiny banana with larger and fewer seeds, eaten whole. (7/10)

Flavor- The flavor was not at all what I expected. I had prepared for something bitter, maybe because grasshopper spit looks so much like walnut juice, haha! I laugh at that because the grasshopper tasted very nutty. It was actually pretty good! (7.5/10)

Overall- 6.7/10

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone else in GRASSCity eat bugs? haha

2. you weird bruh

3. haha i liked this thread, post some more reviews of the insects that u eat. I say eat a spider next, tell me wut its like

4. #4 bahookahjoe18, Oct 24, 2011
    Heehh

Humans were eating insects for millions of years before we were born, and really, we stopped relatively recently.

we all weird bruh

I think I'll have to work my way up to that one...

[​IMG]

5. Think of spider like lobster they're supposed to taste the same

6. I've only eaten worms as a dare. Yes they were live. They didn't taste like much, but I imagine if they had dirt on them they would probably be crunchy. They were chewy, almost like gum and had a slimy texture (of course) to them.

Overall, it wasn't that bad. It's just a worm.

7. I don't think I'm ready for spiders yet.

Ever since I watched Lion King as a little kid, I thought these would be delicious:

[​IMG]

8. Maggots or melee worms? I'm not sure which they are. But if they're maggots, make sure they're COMPLETELY dead and clean. Hell, light a fire and fry them over it on a spit for all I care. I would just hate to hear about a dude with a live maggot in his belly though.

Oh and I have a suggestion. If you're into eating bugs and stuff. Why not get friends to bet you won't eat this or that? Free easy money, and a meal!

9. Thanks! I would guess earthworms to be bland.

Did your worms have dirt on them? How many worms? Did you thoroughly chew them or just kinda chomp'n'swallow?

That is a pretty good suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. Well, maybe because all of my friends are broke all the time, haha. Do you think it would be a good idea to sell prepared crickets at the Farmers Market?

Dude, fried, plump, juicy bugs roasted over a spit sound so appealing.

[​IMG]

10. Subscribing for updates.
    You seem to have a unique and genuine acquired taste for bugs. It fascinates me.
    You say that you've thought about since you were a child, would you say this curiosity/affinity is innate?

11. Also subscribing for updates. Keep if up, I could never do what you're planning on doing lol

12. If you cook and spice it right, anything can taste good really

• Like Like x 1
  13. #14 bahookahjoe18, Oct 24, 2011
    How can you say no to this?

[​IMG]

I think it's innate in everyone, but we're too hypnotized by these taboos to reconnect with our true animal-selves. It's a good survival skill and you never know when you're going to get lost in the woods.

And now I know that if I ever get stuck in one of these caves, I'll have a very steady supply of food:

[​IMG]

Sure you could! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking curry, dill, and a dash of sea salt.

14. #15 bahookahjoe18, Oct 24, 2011
    UPDATE:

Just got out of my backyard where I sampled a few other pieces of free food. Don't need $paper$ or foodstamps to eat this stuff Blades!

Common Black Ground Beetle

[​IMG]

Appearance-This beetle is another example of evolutionary genius. Sleek black, slick, fast, shiny, silky, smooth, this little guy gave me some moves!
    After removing the wings, head, and legs, the beetle looked much more appetizing than my previously-munched grasshopper. Its back without wing coverage was a light fleshy color, much like that of oysters. I was looking forward to tasting this. (9/10)

Smell- I was surprised to find that this beetle smelled good. It was kind of fruity, with a hint of spice. It wasn't a "sharp" smell at all. Very mild and pleasing. (8/10)

Sounds- The hard armor of this beetle sounds like crumbling a brown leaf in your hand, but it's in your mouth. It's the same kind of crrchk sound. (4/10)

Texture- I didn't find the texture of this beetle very pleasant. They're covered pretty thoroughly with a tough popcorn-kernel like shell. Even without the wings, there's a lot of stuff to crunch through. I hate getting popcorn pieces stuck in my teeth, and I bet that eating a lot of these beetles would do the same thing to me. (2/10)

Flavor- It was all right. The beetle was not as bold as the grasshopper, but nonetheless brought to mind traces of nuttiness. So far, these bugs have been nothing but earthy. (7/10)

Overall- There's not a lot of meat on these beetles, and removing the unwanted body parts was fairly difficult. If this was a survival situation, I wouldn't waste my time with this. (6/10)

Earthworm

[​IMG]

Appearance: Like an earthworm. There were no legs or wings or heads or anything to take off, so it looked the same before and after preparation, with the exception of some dirt brushed off. I'm trying to take all of this with an open mind, so I can't really say that the worm looked gross. If I was homeless, this would be higher on my list than say, a centipede. (5/10)

Smell: Woims smell like doit. (7/10)

Sounds: Like throwing a saturated sponge at a brick wall, but you're hearing it through a pillow. That's not really a good sound for food. (4/10)

Texture: This isn't a hard one to imagine, but a hard one to compare something with. It probably feels just as you'd guess it would. As far as food goes, I've had a lot worse. Very meaty and not too chewy. (9/10)

Flavor: Really didn't taste like much. It was good, I guess. It might be better if you had it dried and like jerky or something. (6.5/10)

Overall: If I had a lack of other protein sources, worms would be high on my list for a substitute. (6.3/10)
    And just to say that I did it, I ate a little spider. But, I don't feel satisfied with the small one that I ate, so I'll muster up the courage sometime to eat a larger one. It didn't look, smell, sound, feel, or taste like much because there wasn't very much substance to it.

15. Almost puked reading this, but i couldn't stop. You should eat a spiny caterpillar and update

• Like Like x 1
  16. thats awesome man, i've always wanted to try bugs. Who are we to say bugs are a gross kind of food? Its no different than eating cows, they're all still animals. Good for you bro, +rep

17. Good on you for trying something different :) Just be sure you try to roast or lightly cook any little critters you find.. not always, but occasionally they do carry parasites which can also cause us humans a bit of grief. From what I hear, they taste better when a little cooked, as well. :D

18. Right on! I hope you take what I'm saying and apply it. Bugs are good protein, and as far as I can tell so far, don't taste bad at all.

19. I'll be sure to try some critters soon, i'll post what i think :smoke::hello: