how do you fight depression?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by mos_def, Sep 13, 2010.

1. How do you fight depression when you are at your lowest? When you can't smoke? I'm feeling so down right now, shits never been this bad. Life is a bitch, but how can you turn it back into a lady?

2. Go for lots and lots and lots of walks. Nature has a natural way of brightening me up if for only a few minutes.

3. If you need weed to fight depression, you really need to take another look at your life.

4. I fight everything with this

[​IMG]

5. find a hobby, meet a girl, ask for a raise - focus on things that will affect your life in a good way.

6. Do small things in your life that will make you happier, go for walks, sit out in the sun and enjoy the heat, buy yourself a nice meal or anything like that. Get out there meet some people and talk to them, nothing helps more than just flat out talking to someone imo

7. #7 Liqweed, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
    I feel you Mos, right now I am all out of bud, I got school starting in two weeks and I still have a ton of shit to do, no money, and it sucks being in a permanent bad mood.

But honestly, today something snapped. When my depression gets to a certain point, I get this attitude where I just say "FUCK IT" and I get up and start getting shit done, one by one.

My depression stems from me always wanting to isolate myself. I feel safe being in front of a computer, all of the knowledge I could ever need, right at my fingertips. But there is a certain point where I would rather just go do everything I need done, (faxing papers, buying stuff for apartment, paying bills) and where I cant stand being unproductive anymore.

Listen man, life is gonna keep on going with or without you, either you are gonna hop on this train and go at it bad mood, or you can sulk on the internet and lose more of this precious time we have here on this planet.

You cant smoke weed forever....and you KNOW that you will eventually have to cope with not being able to smoke it.

I always used to get pissed at people on here when they would tell me, "Its all in your head"

And do you know what? They are right.

If your depressed, you are gonna be in a bad mood no matter what you do.....so why not make this time productive?

Get off the computer, go for a walk and collect your thoughts.....create a plan and then go grab some red bulls and have at it.

Right now I feel like I am running on Override. My mind is still in that depressed state, but I tell it to fuck off and I get up and go for a run, or I go and make some money, or apply for some jobs.

I hope I didnt come off too harsh....but Honestly, it is the easiest way to get yourself in a better mood. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

8. Find some way to express the emotions you feel. Writing, music, art.

Instead of getting high off weed, get high off your body's natural opiates: endorphins. Start working out or going for bike rides.

Go exploring in nature. Find a secluded area and traverse the landscape. Who knows what you'll find?

9. Buddha says 'You are what you think about most of the time'.

If you focus on depressing thoughts you'll live in a cloud of depression. If you focus on the good things, :yay:things you are grateful for you will be happy for sure.

Also yeah get out into nature. Volunteer somewhere. It takes the focus off of YOU and puts the focus onto what ever kind of volunteer work you're doing.

Get a pet. They help with depression. Ever since I got my puppy I have no time to be down because I'm so busy with this pup.

10. I remind myself of a story that popped into my head a long long time ago.

There are two men. One is a cynic and veiws most things in life with a angle of negativity, he says bad things happen to him so he has a right to be like this.
    The other has his head in the sky and looks for the good in all the bad, he says bad things have also happened to him but a lot of good things have also.
    They both die leaving nothing of great significance nor any real mark that they lived.
    Now, say you get your choice of who to be. Who would you choose?

May be a bit cliche but it's always helps me put my mind in the right direction.

11. Fucking Alpha!

12. Hang out with your friends.. Do what makes you happy.

13. Well my situation is this. I can't smoke bud for at least a few months. I'm not too worried about that. It's just that at this time I'm going thru alot of stress, and the girl i've been talking to randomly gets a bf and doesn't tell me (even though we still have been doing things after she started going out with him) then she just randomly stops us and im prob going to be forced to move off campus and i prob can't afford that, and shit just keeps adding up. life just keeps kicking me when i'm down.

14. Citalopram and Trazodone.

I've suffered from Depression for pretty much my entire life, and nothing, not walks, positive thinking, friends, girlfriends, guitar, video games, nature, writing down my thoughts, pets, drawing, or anything else could get me out of the rut I was in for so many years.:(

Can't believe I'm saying this about pharms, but the anti-depressants I'm on right now actually do work and make me feel better about my life.:)

Not suggesting you go and get anti-depressants, OP, but I thought I'd share my experience. Everybody has their own ways of dealing with shit, after all.

15. Kick back. Harder.

16. Sorry to hear man. I don't really have any advice besides what's been said, I just wanted to let you know I feel for you and everyone with depression. I bet it's one of the hardest things to overcome and hopefully you will someday brother. You will be an even stronger person after.

17. I second that. But, I would recommend rescuing them from a shelter, or adopting a pet that was abused. You'll be helping out, and will undoubtedly create an even stronger bond.

18. Well I must just be some giant fucking Bud Cola then man

19. Look I've been in a position like yours not the exact same but close you wanna know what I was told, grow a fucking dick and man up, you got time to sit on grass city and bitch about it all you got time to fix it. Get the fuck up go get another job if you have to scrounge like you never have for one. And fuck that bitch dude you have more important things to deal with if it's meant to be it will be.

20. first off "move off campus" im guessing that means you live on a college campus. if that is the case MOVE OFF NOW you could save at least a grand a semester living off campus.

second no smoking?

third you need to find something besides weed to help fight depression. you need sunlight, exercise, activity. do something besides sit around.