Music Preference in Introverts and Extroverts

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by shaddytheman, Sep 4, 2012.

1. I found an instresting and insightful piece between the different personalities type on music preference, this is probalby why I tend go for "I enjoy many genres" answer because honestly I do.

Article: Music Preference in Introverts and Extroverts | Kingdom of Introversion

2. Very interesting read. I kind of apply for all of the introvert points. Many people have said to me things like "damn you listen to some weird music" but dude, is there really such a thing as weird music? I think not. I listen to music 'cause it makes me feel good inside of me, not 'cause it's my way to feel comfortable around others.

3. Wow. I never understood why when all my friends listen to music, its so different. When people ask me what type of music I like I can never answer....its so hard :p lol thanks for sharing!

4. This is why I feel alienated because people tend look at me differently or can't understand my point of view because I'm able to enjoy many forms of music from various cultures. What may be weird in the west may be the norm in other countries, I'm glad you enjoy it!

5. When people ask "What music do you like?" I often answer with "Nothing you're interested in.".. It usually drops the question and they don't care to go deeper into the conversation. It isn't a dreaded question for me (very introverted now) and if they're truly interested I would tell them how I think of the shit they listen to and why. When someone brings this question to me I evaluate the situation and their personalities and from there I know what I should and shouldn't tell the person. It isn't some awkward situation when I tell them "they aren't interested" because they know it's true as well. The post makes a lot of sense, but I think it dwells too deep into what's actually there..

"What music you listen like?"
    "Good music."
    "Like what?"
    "You aren't interested"
    "Oh, well I just wanna know."
    "Interested in Rap/Hip-hop."
    "HELL YEAH ME TOO I LOVE THIS ONE SONG BY LIL GAY CALLED LOLLIPOP"
    "Cool, too bad that isn't music worth listening to. Also it isn't rap or hip-hop. I think it's shit."
    "Well, I think your music is shit." (They don't even know?)
    "Okay"
    .... On to next conversation.

6. Music that incorporate diverse cultural elements is usually the kind of music I enjoy the most. May I suggest you listen to Shpongle, if you are into electronic/ambient/cultural music. Believe me, this should sparkle your soul to a great extent.

7. Yeah I enjoy diverse culture elements which is defined as "complex" which is too modern for E's in the west, I'll try to them out thanks. Also search for Soukous Music, you'll like it.

8. Honestly, I'm not getting it. What's the author's actual point here?

9. surely some extroverts have tastes in music that deviate from the social norm and are completely personal to them.

Me: What music do you listen to?
    Extrovert: *w/o hesitation* I listen to K-POP, Afro-Pop, and Medieval music
    Me: Whoa cool

10. Will do the next time I get high :smoke: Thx for sharing

11. It distinguishes the differences between how extroverts and introverts and how they react to music in western society, it's not that hard to understand once you sum it up.

12. Those extroverts are rare but I would like to meet them, seems like they would be interesting people to encounter.

13. I'm extremely introverted (so much so that I even have trouble getting involved in discussions here), and this sounds like me. I'll listen to pretty much anything but today's mainstream pop crap. Classic rock, alternative hip hop, metal, classical, music from different cultures around the world, it's all good.

14. Introvert for the most part but the only thing I listen to is rap/hip hop I don't mind other shit but hate country it annyoys the shit out of me.

15. ^^ I used to go by the popularity fallacy "I hate country" to relate with everybody else but then I realized it's not that bad actually but I'm in a music class we study music and I look at music at an deeper introspective rather in a external way. The cousins of country such as bluegrass (I love the banjo!) seem to be better the genre itself.

16. What do raves do to that papers thesis? (Modifies it)

Peer-pressure and the fear of social isolation often affect the public music choices of the typical extrovert.

Oh well I had my laugh when all the "hard" hip-hop guys forgot to change the station when it all turned into Lady Gaga and Rihanna :laughing:

17. Yeah I have noticed that too, same happened to me was called derogatory names or called "weird" because I have an expansive music taste which made me feel insecure about myself but then I just stopped giving a shit. Since they're social creatures, they want to feel connected to their peers so they turn down what's unknown to others, they should careless about social isolation and find new people that are cool enough to share.

18. I'm an introvert and I approve this message. When asked what music I like, upon answering you'd think I just insulted the persons' family or some shit. I use music to heighten the spirit, think deeply, block out outside noises. A lot of different things. I usually only listen to my music when I'm alone, also. I've yet to find someone in my immediate surroundings that shares my taste in music. Oh well, more for me.:D

19. Same. Im VERY introverted and you can tell by my music tastes lol, I listen to very obscure music that many mainstream people are not into. Some of the genres include Different types of metal , Ambient , Dark electronic , Long instrumentals and shit like that.

95% of my regular friends dont like listening to my CD's in the car and when i AM playing a CD of mine someone will always try to change it and turn the radio on. I've asked several of my friends why they listen to the music they do. I remember about a month ago that "Stay Scheming" song came on the radio and i tried to play my CD and my buddy jumpped for the radio saying nononononononono he loves that song.

I asked him and the group of friends i was with what exactly they get from listening to that type of thing or why they like it and after a moment of them looking at eachother with this weird look they looked at me and said "This is rick ross, this song is like #1 on the charts right now EVERYBODY is listening to it"

I just smiled and shook my head lol. None of the lyrics relate to anything in their lives right now, They dont interpret any deep meaning from the song, the ONLY reason it appeals to them is because thats what the rest of the crowed is listening to?

Also im black and they make it seem like im SUPPOSED to listen to rap like its part of a code or some shit? I listen to rap too, just not the shit they play on the radio. When i listen to rap i want to hear actuall rap, not some fucker singing about selling hard drugs while managing to not have a Single word rhyme.

20. Damn that sounds so snobby/douchey. Like everything you're trying so hard to not be.